Space for driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chesh

Reaction score
Hello, i was wondering what the minimum size would be for driving a mini, my gelding was trained by a very reputable trainer to drive and i took lessons but at the time had nowhere to drive as i was boarding and nowhere to keep a cart etc i have since moved and my boys live with me now but not able to find a minimum space, i can lunge him in a gallop in the area i would be driving in, i just cant seem to find the answers im looking for online

I can't give you exact sizes. It all depends upon what you want to do when driving. My small arena that I use mostly for training it 70 x 90 feet. I have a pole light on one end that lights about half of the area at night. It gives me enough room to do serpentines, figure 8's and change diagonally. I have even worked The Six in there even though it is a bit tight. If you are working at extensions in trot ,you do not have much room to do them for more then a couple strides. But for just general training and a safe place to drive, it works for me. My main arena is 110 x 330 feet and gives a whole lot more area to work in.

My neighborhood isnt what i would call safe, there are loose dogs from chihuahuas to labs and an occassional pit, so i wont take them outside my back area, so i have my backyard area and thats all the space i have, i just wanted to see if i could drive in the area i have. My gelding lunges great in the area, but my stallion wont move faster than a walk unless theres food involved and hes bomb proof so theres no spooking him into even round penning but his weight is constant and not ove sobi dont worry much about it. Just thought me gelding would enjoy something different than lunging

Not having a good place to drive close by makes it harder. Perhaps you could do some ground driving so the dogs will get used to you and a horse. I sometimes drive in a place with lots of loose dogs. Just keep your horse at a walk and have your whip ready if any come too close. I do not make eye contact with the dogs or speak to them. If you know the dog owners maybe you could ask them to be aware. They might work with you.

Hope it works out for you!

My ring is about the size of a small driven dressage ring (20 M x 40 M) or about 60 ft. x 120 ft. You could use a smaller area, maybe about 2/3 the size. It's more important that the area be fairly level so you're not driving tilted.

I also live in an area where it's not safe to drive on the roads. I've lived here a long time and the area has gotten built up around us. We'd be road kill if we put a hoof out our drive! Our only other alternative is to trailer out to a park.

Latest posts

Back