Driving Boots

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Know a couple of people that tried them and they shredded the first time out on the pavement and gravel roads. Once reason why I haven't bothered to get them.
Wow, I wonder which ones they bought? Honestly, I get a few weeks, to a month a set, which is about $20 a month say...which is cheaper than real shoes...which I would use in a heartbeat if I could find nails small enough to have them put on with.

Rethinking the post about the bear-boots wearing and falling apart after one or two uses, I would imagine it would be in how the horse uses itself perhaps? I know some horses in regular metal shoes that cannot keep a shoe on for more than a couple of weeks, and others that keep a shoe nice and solid for a couple of months. Some horses scuff their feet, others brush...etc...some just cannot keep a shoe on...period.

Ok, that is understandable.

Sounds like they would be good for the odd parade, but would need to get several pairs if you were going to use them regularly.

For the parade it would be pretty cute, also I did feel there was an awful lot of clippity-clopping on the pavement and wondered if she felt that the next day.

thanks

Hmmmm....after some closer inspection it looks like they may not come small enough for the little minis. I'm going to have to measure my girl's feet. The designer seems to be very knowledgeable, perhaps he could be convinced to make a smaller size....sorry, should have looked at that first!

Katie

I wrote to the Renegade hoof boot people about smaller boots...here is my correspondence with them:

Hello Karen

We do in fact make a 00 boot but it's a bit wider than 3-3/4" and we can trim it down to about 4 1/4" length and it's possible to adjust the width in this manner http://www.renegadehoofboots.com/custom-fit-heel-boot.html

Thanks!

Kirt Lander

President and CEO

Lander Industries Inc.

On 11/4/2011 2:35 PM, Karen Merrill wrote:

I was wondering if you carry or could make a boot for my modern Shetland pony. I am currently driving him to compete in Combined Driving Events (CDEs) and am looking for something other than a nail on shoe. He measures about 3 3/4 wide and 4" in length. Do you make a 00??? LOL If not do you have any suggestions? I really do not want something that digs into my horses hoof wall (esp on such a small foot) to hold it on. Thanks in advance!

Not sure if this helps anyone.

Karen

Ok thanks to everyone!!! If I get this right build a bear is number 1 choice!! Where do I order some?? Also, Sue you like the comfy fit. Are those the ones from Chimucum Tack??

Ok thanks to everyone!!! If I get this right build a bear is number 1 choice!! Where do I order some?? Also, Sue you like the comfy fit. Are those the ones from Chimucum Tack??

You can go right to Build a Bear they have both US and Canadian sites.

As for my harness, though a beta harness, it is not a comfy fit; it is from Country Carriages ASA, and the breastplate is their "Super V". I love them!!

I think I am going to invest in some of that resin- although I have to say that if I could invest in the man that did the voice over, and have him as my farrier, I would rather do that, he was quick, skillful and quiet, I cannot imagine any horse playing up with him!!!
default_laugh.png
default_wink.png

brasstackminis said:
I wrote to the Renegade hoof boot people about smaller boots...here is my correspondence with them:

Hello Karen

We do in fact make a 00 boot but it's a bit wider than 3-3/4" and we can trim it down to about 4 1/4" length and it's possible to adjust the width in this manner http://www.renegadehoofboots.com/custom-fit-heel-boot.html

Thanks!

Kirt Lander

President and CEO

Lander Industries Inc.
I know, isn't that a bummer? The mare I am riding wears Renegade boots on the trail and I just put them on for the first time tonight, they seemed really comfortable and nice. I WISH we could coax them into making a mini size! My kids are about 3.5" by 3.5" if I recall, so there's no way the smallest size they currently have is going to fit.
default_sad.png

Leia

*BREAKING NEWS!!*

I emailed the folks at Renegade Boots last night figuring if they heard from a few of us inquiring at once that maybe they'd decide there was demand, and Kirt responded that he would be open to making a miniature sized boot! The only catch is because of the way he creates his molds, he would need a quality cadaver hoof as a baseline to get started. I know this is icky, but with the number of vets on this forum I'm hopeful something could be found within the next year or so. If anyone has connections or knows of mini hooves already preserved please email me at hobbyhorse23 at g mail dot com, without the extra anti-spam spaces.

He said ideally he would be looking for hooves from a healthy (non-foundered) mini whose hooves were naturally trimmed with a low heel and a short toe but so long as the hoof walls are well attached and devoid of flares, then the trim can be applied before using as a hoof model. A front and a hind would be best as they have slightly different conformation.

It would sure be nice to have a true miniature-sized performance boot that would fit the A-sized horses!

Leia

I came upon this subject a tad late, but wanted to make a couple of comments...

First, Easyboot NEVER made a mini-sized boot;they made a 'Pony' size, which I found *could* work on some of my minis in certain circumstances. I bought two of the 'old' design,original EB in 'Pony' size, trimmed the back lower, AND, inserted some pieces of ridged rubber carpet 'runner'to act as pads, inside,which took up some of the 'slack'. This worked OK on my 34" horse,with slightly small-for-his-size, more oval, hooves, at least on level gravelled roads. I later bought a full set of 4 of the 'newer' standard EB design, complete w/ gaiters, in 'Pony' size. They can work for my 38" horse, but are too large for the 34"er.One thing I've considered, but not yet gotten around to trying, is to cut some pads to put inside of them out of old mouse pads I've saved. My logic is that this *might* serve two purposes...to offer even more protection/cushion for the horses' soles, and possibly make it easier for the boots to stay on, even if they are a bit large? Worth a try, IMO.

It well may be that EB is no longer even making the 'Pony' size: I don't think I've seen it in any EB ads in quite some time.

Great news about the Renegade maker's information! One thing that I think *might* help? For a bunch of mini owners to get good, accurate measurments of various driving horses' properly-trimmed feet, width and length, to compile a 'datebase'.I will try to do mine as I do the next trims(which are overdue!)

Margo

Margo_C-T said:
Great news about the Renegade maker's information! One thing that I think *might* help? For a bunch of mini owners to get good, accurate measurments of various driving horses' properly-trimmed feet, width and length, to compile a 'datebase'.I will try to do mine as I do the next trims(which are overdue!)
Absolutely! I'm going to attempt to get a mold of my horse's feet once he's clipped this spring in lieu of the much ickier cadaver hoof (which the maker only wanted because he has trouble attaining good casts from his clients and didn't have a mini of his own to work with) but I'm nervous that my horse is not necessarily a representative sample of "mini size" feet. I'd love to compile a database! A quick measure of my boys showed both to be about 2.75" wide and 3" long, so even smaller than I'd remembered, and that's with good round bell-shaped feet appropriate for their size. I'll start another thread on the main forum and see if we can get some data from various people.

Leia

BTW- I saw you in The Whip, Margo! You looked great!

With a thought on the build a bear shoes. We have our guy that repairs harnesses (a shoe person could do this too) add an additional sole to the bottom of almost new bear shoes and get a lot of wear from them.

We have used them with minis going into buildings and training on tender tootseys on gravel.

Just a thought

Has anyone used Hoof Wings? They have sizes down to 2" wide x 2.5" long.

I realize they don't have the sporty colors like the Renegades, and I haven't looked at the pricing, but the mini sizes are already available.

What exactly is a barrier boot?

BTW, I just scanned the Hoof Boot Swap page, and there are some good deals on B mini/Shetland sizes in Easy Csre Bare, Easy Care Glove, Boa and others.

Absolutely! I'm going to attempt to get a mold of my horse's feet once he's clipped this spring in lieu of the much ickier cadaver hoof (which the maker only wanted because he has trouble attaining good casts from his clients and didn't have a mini of his own to work with) but I'm nervous that my horse is not necessarily a representative sample of "mini size" feet. I'd love to compile a database! A quick measure of my boys showed both to be about 2.75" wide and 3" long, so even smaller than I'd remembered, and that's with good round bell-shaped feet appropriate for their size. I'll start another thread on the main forum and see if we can get some data from various people.

Leia

BTW- I saw you in The Whip, Margo! You looked great!

Leia, how exactly are you going to get a mold of your horses feet? I have 4 and access to many more of varying sizes so I am sure we could make a database for sure if I knew how to do the molds...
default_wacko.png
I am totally grossed out at trying to find cadaver hooves...

Karen

Two months too late to this topic
default_whistling.gif
But anyway...

Anyone else have any feedback about boots? I am ground driving on roads several times a week and although my horse has never looked visibly sore, I can tell he is a bit 'ouchy' at the end as he is reluctant to move out. He isn't even hooked and going along with the cart yet, so know that I will need to do something about his feet.

Hoofwings look great, but at $260 a pair, plus $40 postage (to Aust) I just don't think I can/want to go that route.

What about the 'Comfy-fit' Leather Road boots from Chimacum, anyone tried them? They are only $56 a pair with rubber grip, so that seems more reasonable, but will they stand up to wear?

Easyboot Epics with gaiters will fit my little guy (he is borderline big for 'pony' size, but runs on the lower limits of 000, so would opt for pony) but here they are $220 a pair. Am seeing if I can get them posted here as I saw them on Ozark's website for $120 a pair.

Is there anything others I am not thinking of? What are your experiences and opinions on my options?

My farrier did a polymer build up on two of my driving boys feet when he got sore last year. It worked great and it grew out with the hoof and was eventually trimmed off. It helped get us over the hump of a too short trim on the front by my ex-farrier. He says he uses this stuff all the time on performance horses. I know it worked great for my boy. It did not add great height or anything... just put a layer of protection on the foot and they were shaped and trimmed and you honestly couldn't tell where the polymer ended and the hoof started. Now we have enough foot and it is not needed any more, but I was really grateful for the option so my boy wasn't tippy toeing any more. Also, pea gravel will toughen and harden the feet and make them great for not needing boots for protection. Takes awhile, but my farrier says my guys feet are awesome on the pea gravel. My 2 cents on two things I did last year. Adair

Back