Driving Boots

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgranch

Reaction score
My Rocket has a very tender front hoof and after lengthy vet check including Xrays no reason was found. So, does anyone have advise on front boots that really stay on and provide protection of hoof sole?? They are so expensive I don't want to invest unless I know they are good ones!! Thanks!!

There has been talk here, on and off about boots. Someone one brought up that the "Build-a-Bear" tennis shoes worked. Since then, I have talked to a couple of people that have tried them with good results. I just bought two pair, but haven't tried them yet. They cost $9 per pair. The high top tennis shoes don't fit. They must be the regular low ones.

My gelding, Mingus, has tender soles. I plan on getting boots eventually, but we've taken a couple of preliminary steps.

First, we now leave his hooves a bit longer. Not much, but even a little bit helps.

Second, when we put down gravel as mud prevention, we included the area surrounding their water troughs with the idea of toughening up his soles. As it turns out, our horses LOVE the gravel, so we'll soon see if it helps with his tender feet.

I know the Build-A-Bear shoes work for nursing home visits and the like...do they really hold up to driving, especially over gravel? I would be afraid they'd break down or not provide enough support.

I use the bear-boots, but the only ones I really like are the canvas hi-tops. They are soft enough to mold well to the pastern and hoof, and don't rub like the heavier plastic ones will.

100_2575.jpg

Sue, those almost look like high-heeled sneakers. TOO CUTE!!

default_biggrin.png
default_laugh.png

I live on a gravel road, the very worst thing to drive on, and what a difference it makes to have her hooves protected. She will just give all she has when I ask for an extended trot when wearing these, yet barefoot on that same stretch, she picks her way so carefully it makes me wince. She loves her booties.
default_yes.gif

Hi,

I have never used either of these products so I can't give a personal recommendation but the SuperFast shoe looks pretty cool. Also Chimicum Tack just started to offer a new driving boot that you might want to check out.

This is a YouTube video of a SuperFast shoe.

The Chimacum Tack link is

http://www.comfyfitharness.com/index.html

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page it is the last item on the right called Pony and Mini Comfy Fit leather road boot.

I have both the super-fast, and the Comfy-boots as well, but I still prefer the bear-boots. The super fast is great if it is dry...but we had a terribly wet year, and my farrier didn't think they adhered very well because of the constant dampness and mud. As for the comfy-boots, I do like them a lot, except for the placement of the large buckle right at the softest part of the heel. I am afraid of bruising...and have contacted them about it, and was told they were working on a re-design to put the buckle on top...but the boots pictured are still the same as mine.

I have both the super-fast, and the Comfy-boots as well, but I still prefer the bear-boots. The super fast is great if it is dry...but we had a terribly wet year, and my farrier didn't think they adhered very well because of the constant dampness and mud. As for the comfy-boots, I do like them a lot, except for the placement of the large buckle right at the softest part of the heel. I am afraid of bruising...and have contacted them about it, and was told they were working on a re-design to put the buckle on top...but the boots pictured are still the same as mine.

Wow thank you for your post. I live on a gravel road as well so I was thinking about picking up a pair of boots just in case I need them for this summer. It is hard to believe those little toy bear boots can hold up to an extended trot on gravel. LOL What size are your horses feet? I have a 36" Shetland and I am not sure if his feet would fit the bear boots. They are so cute and if you have tried all the expensive stuff and the bear boots work the best at $7.50 a set you can't go wrong!

Will the bear boots fit a 36" shetland?
Unfortunately not very likely to...but worth a try. I would say they fit about a 2.50" foot or so, as they didn't fit my minis with the nice big feet.

I am considering giving the hoofwings a try as well. I am beginning to compete in a few local CDE's, and am not sure the bear boots will hold up in a water hazard, though I have done puddles...

Hi all,

I was perusing a natural hoof trimming site and saw these boots listed as the trimmer's top choice. They look amazing, and of course, are a bit pricey. Looks like $169 a pair, but for me, worth it if it means I can drive on gravel etc without compromise of my mare's feet and comfort. They look extremely durable, water capable, and fitted well. Lots of info on the website: http://www.renegadehoofboots.com/.

I won't be buying them anytime soon, but maybe in the spring once I am driving a lot more again. Perhaps starting with just a front pair would be beneficial, and one could see how they perform. They show a picture on the site of an Arab endurance horse wearing them on long distance competitive rides, and winning.

Katie

Hmmmm....after some closer inspection it looks like they may not come small enough for the little minis. I'm going to have to measure my girl's feet. The designer seems to be very knowledgeable, perhaps he could be convinced to make a smaller size....sorry, should have looked at that first!

Katie

Anyone try the Davis Barrier boots Ozark sells?? I love the renegade hoof boots too!! I wish they fit minis!

Anyone try the Davis Barrier boots Ozark sells?? I love the renegade hoof boots too!! I wish they fit minis!
Yup, tried them too. They aren't small enough for the smaller footed minis, but fit my big boy perfectly...but the first time he wore them one of the front ones went flying...tried it again, had them as tight as I could get them, but they just wouldn't stay on. I have also bought the smallest easy boots, and they are much too big.

I use Build a Bear shoes on my shetland (english) They stay on in all gates and he love them.
biggrin.gif

Last winter I used slip stoppers for human shoes on him, it worked really great
laugh.gif

It's hard to believe that shoes made for teddy bears are tough enough to stand up to use as a mini or pony boot.

Is this really true that you use them on a regular basis and they don't just fall apart?

If it's true, $9 is pretty amazing in comparison to Hoofwings at almost $250 or more a pair. (I forget the exact amount)

Even if I only put them on the rare times she goes on pavement (as in the parade a couple of weeks ago), it sure would be worth the money.

It's hard to believe that shoes made for teddy bears are tough enough to stand up to use as a mini or pony boot.

Is this really true that you use them on a regular basis and they don't just fall apart?

If it's true, $9 is pretty amazing in comparison to Hoofwings at almost $250 or more a pair. (I forget the exact amount)

Even if I only put them on the rare times she goes on pavement (as in the parade a couple of weeks ago), it sure would be worth the money.
Know a couple of people that tried them and they shredded the first time out on the pavement and gravel roads. Once reason why I haven't bothered to get them.

Back