Double decker truck crashes in IL

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They were Excess PMU foals and were headed to an "auction" so the double decker was "legal" trasnsport. Most almost ALL would have gone to slaughter so maybe its a blessing and 2nd chance in disguise. At this point in time the insurance company now owns the horses. WHO knows how this will end! I am so sick of the mistreatment.
default_no.gif
For Christ sakes no woman need {PREMARIN}!

Double deckers are only illegal if the horses are being transported to slaughter... these horses were likely headed that way, but not directly.

I know they are getting proper veterinary care now, but I wonder what will happen to the horses next?
default_unsure.png

How sad....I wish they'd just do away with those trailers....even for cows, etc...

Perhaps now their fate is a little brighter...we can only hope!

I HAVE HEARD THAT THERE IS NOW KINDA A FLOATING SLAUGHTER HOUSE GOING OVER SEAS, THAT THE HORSES ARE LOADED ALIVE AND WHEN THEY ARRIVE TO THEIR DESTINATION THEY ARE CUT UP AND IN A BOX. HEARD IT FROM A RELIABLE SOURCE. I WISH SOMEONE COULD SAVE THEM ALL, AND I REALIZED THEY CAN'T ALL BE SAVED, BUT STILL CRUELTY SHOULD BE PUNISHED SEVERELY, LETS PUT THEM IN A SUITCASE AND TRY SHIPPING THEM.

OH WELL WON'T GO THERE, I REALLY THINK IT SHOULD BE PUNISHED EVEN WORSE, BUT I WON'T SAY....

JUST MAKES ME SICK.

default_no.gif
God thats sick. Those poor babies. I guess my grandfather (vetranarian) was involved on a call in the past somewhat like this where the bottom of a trailer headed for slaughter fell out and it was quite the mess. I think that an actress was also involved in saving horses there. I will have to ask about that one again as I dont recall specifics. Stuff like this breaks my heart every day.
default_bye-sad.gif
default_pray.gif

default_no.gif
For Christ sakes no woman need {PREMARIN}!
My mother is a nurse and she is avidly against Premarin. I remember that in the office she used to work at, the doctor would perscribe it and she threw a fit and helped him find an alternative. She is a fiestly little thing.
default_xbud.gif
If this had happened neer us, she would have been speeding out there with me holding on for dear life.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is so sad that in our so called Civilized society this is still going on. Just makes you wonder if they treat animals that way how do they treat their fellow humans? NUFF SAID
default_no.gif

How terrible for these horses, we go to an auction every year and stay the whole week, where we put our RV just down the road there are about 4 double decker trucks just waiting to buy up horses cheap to send to slaughter, If I sell any of my horses big or little I would not take them there. Some of these horses are nice horses, I could see if they were sick but alot of them are not and even if their sick they should not be treated like this. I wish there was something that could be done with people like this, I know horses are considered livestock but I don't concider them livestock.

I found this update today. I hope it is helpful>

Horses mend after trailer overturns

By Jeff Long, Tara Malone and Andrew L. **** | Tribune staff reporters October 30, 2007 Article tools

As three horses lay dead on a straw-matted barn floor Monday, dozens of survivors hovered in arcs around them, nursing wounds from the horrific crash Saturday that caused a tractor-trailer loaded with 59 Belgian draft horses to overturn in north suburban Wadsworth.

Some had bruised legs, others swollen eyes. A black yearling wore a thick bandage covering an artery that had been cut. A bruise knotted the neck of a dusty brown horse that chewed green hay in the paddock of a private farm where the horses were brought Saturday night to begin recovering.

The three dead horses, which had been euthanized hours earlier, brought the tally of fatalities to 18. Eight were killed, 10 have been euthanized because of their injuries and 41 remain alive, veterinarian Kevin Nelson said.

On Monday, state and federal officials joined the investigation, and Lake County Sheriff Mark Curran announced additional traffic citations against truck driver, James E. Anderson, 34, of McLeod, N.D. In addition to disregarding a red light, Anderson has been cited for failing to reduce speed to avoid an accident and not having a bill of lading, Curran said.

The wreck happened Saturday just before 7 p.m. at U.S. Highway 41 and Wadsworth Road in northeastern Lake County when the northbound tractor-trailer was struck by a pickup truck. Anderson lost control, and his rig overturned.

Curran said Anderson had been hired by the horses' owner to drive them from Millersburg, Ind., about 20 miles southeast of Elkhart, to Verndale, Minn., for auction. The horses arrived with numbered stickers taped to their backs, a means of identification often used at horse auctions.

"We don't have any concrete evidence that they were on their way to slaughter," Curran said.

That could be key to an investigation by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. A spokeswoman said the department has strict regulations about the way horses are transported to slaughter. Otherwise, states make their own rules about humane methods of transport.

Illinois investigators also were concerned about the manner in which the animals were being transported.

"We'll be looking at whether there was any violation of the Humane Care for Animals Act," said Mark Ernst, the Illinois state veterinarian, whose office is part of the state Department of Agriculture. "If there was animal cruelty, when we get done with our investigation we'll provide that information to the Lake County state's attorney."

Curran said aggravated animal cruelty is a felony that carries a maximum sentence of 3 years in prison.

Late Monday afternoon, about two dozen people gathered at the scene of the accident, contributing to a memorial that grew into a small mound of flowers, horse trophies, teddy bears and a bunch of carrots -- one for each of the dead horses.

Several people returned after helping at the accident scene. Sally Walsh, 46, of Bristol, Wis., said she was working at a nearby gas station when the crash occurred.

"We were trying to do whatever we could. We were able to see inside the trailer. Those horses were just stacked like bodies on top of each other. They were crying and kicking. ... It's in front of you, but you don't believe what you're seeing," she said.

Earlier Monday, the surviving 41 horses meandered about the Wadsworth farm of Fred and Vicki Carney.

The Carneys, who live less than 2 miles from the accident scene, volunteered their stable as a shelter. The barn phone has been ringing ever since as friends with stables offer to adopt horses and others ask how they can help, Vicki Carney said. Every serving of hay and every stroll around the open pen seemed to strengthen the horses, observers said. The rest are expected to survive even though most are injured, Vicki Carney said.

"They had a rough deal," she said.

Younger, smaller horses seemed to take the brunt of the collision, said Vickie Wancho of Lindenhurst, who cares for horses at the Carney farm. The horses include geldings and mares and range from 6 months to 6 years old. Despite their injuries, they were in good condition, Wancho said. Their hooves had been smoothed and rounded, their coats shined, their tails trimmed and the hairs along their jawlines cut.

"That means someone thought something of them at one time," Wancho said.

Lake County Sheriff's Sgt. Curtis Gregory said the owner had health certificates and vaccination histories for the horses, but the records were not in the truck when it overturned. The owner faxed the records to authorities Monday.

Officials declined to name the owner, whom they identified only as a horse broker from Minnesota. The owner has cooperated with the sheriff's investigation, Curran said.

Gregory said it appeared the owner was aware of the type of trailer in which the horses were carried: a double-decker designed for cattle and pigs.

Nelson, who works at Bristol Vet Service in Kenosha County, Wis., said Monday that he talked to the animals' out-of-state owner. He did not disclose the owner's name, citing the ongoing investigation and confidentiality concerns.

"The guy was very pleasant," Nelson said. "He didn't want any of the horses to suffer. He told me to do what I could."

Wadsworth veterinarian Gary Koehler, who is also working with the animals, said the intense interest in their future, plus the investigation, should ensure that their fate is watched carefully.

"This is not something that's going to be swept under the carpet," he said.

I am sure I will get flamed for this one, but the reason now for things like a 'floating slaughter house' is that folks here insisted on closing the slaughter houses WE HAD CONTROL OF!!

We have no control in places like Mexico, Canada, or on the sea, and I feel that more should have been done here to change the treatment and methods of slaughtering animals, rather than just banning it all together. Now all we can do is watch the horses being trucked in ridiculous methods such as this to other places that we cannot do anything about for them to be abused on the way and who knows what treatment when they get there?! I believe I posted quite a while back when the slaughter houses were closing about this very thing... my prediction seems to be coming true.

I see more and more rescues of all kinds popping up, for all breeds - and guess what? They are ALL advertising that they need money and donations! This cannot continue at this rate- folks are going to be 'rescued out' and when there are not enough donations coming in... then what?

The double deckers actually FIT the calves or sheep going to sale or stockyards that they were intended for. They were never made for horses at all.

I not only feel sorry for these horses (there should have been paperwork showing who owned them!!) but for the other innocent drivers on the road put in jeopardy because someone hasn't got the sense God gave a goose in the way of hauling things! Thank heavens the guy in the pickup wasn't killed getting hit by a load like that! This could have been a much worse disaster. Someone on the road with this guy should have been more observant and perhaps phone the hiway patrol to report what he was hauling and how. That is just wrong.

No flame from me at all.

Those people that wanted the slaughter stopped WE warned you all of things to come, but OH NO that won't happen, Well SEE it IS happening so now, You, and you all know who you are, You are the ones that have to Live with Your decision.~! Thanks To each and every one of you~!
default_no.gif

I bit my tongue for awhile but I have to make two points here. The first is that the owner of the horses said "He didn't want any of the horses to suffer", yet he KNEW these horses were traveling in a double-decker trailer made for cattle, pigs and the like. That alone constitutes suffering!

The second point is that regardless of which side of the slaughter issue you are on, people MUST come to terms with the fact that the main reason horses are sent to slaughter is that there are too many of them!! I hold breeders responsible for this as well as horse owners who do not make provisions for the horses in their care. If you have a horse that you "love" and that has served you well in its lifetime, you owe it to the horse to see that it has a humane end. I suggest that when people get a horse, they set aside money for its humane euthanasia and disposal. That is the very least we can do as caretakers of these animals that give their all for us. If you prefer to see the animal used as feed for zoo animals or whatever, it still deserves a humane end (e.g., a bullet by a skilled marksman). As far as people eating horses, I just cannot bring myself to accept that aspect, though I know others do.

I am not completely against breeding, however, there is way too much irresponsible breeding going on. Personally, I believe breeding should be done only to improve the breed. Yes, I know that there is a lot of subjective opinion on what should be bred, and opinions change. But a no-brainer is the race industry breeding that goes on. What is the percentage of horses that are culled? And of course the Premarin issue. Breed the best...give the others a rest!

Feel free to flame away. I've withstood the California fires...no flames can compare to those.
default_wink.png
default_laugh.png

I think there must be some breeders who DO breed for slaughter. The profit made by the overseas horse meat market must entice some people to breed for meat pourposes.
default_no.gif

No flames from here!
default_unsure.png
I am one that is against the slaughter of horses and I don't see where having slaughter houses open today in the United States would have prevented this accident from happening...in fact it was happening when slaughter houses were open! There was no regulation at the slaughter houses that protected the horses from inhumane treatment. What has to be worked on now is to get people to realize that there is an overproduction of horses and it has to stop. I want to point out that a lot needs to be done to see that horses are treated humanly...go spend some days at an auction and then tell me that it's fine for horses to be treated the way they are...the insanity needs to stop! JMHO Mary

I bit my tongue for awhile but I have to make two points here. The first is that the owner of the horses said "He didn't want any of the horses to suffer", yet he KNEW these horses were traveling in a double-decker trailer made for cattle, pigs and the like. That alone constitutes suffering!

The second point is that regardless of which side of the slaughter issue you are on, people MUST come to terms with the fact that the main reason horses are sent to slaughter is that there are too many of them!! I hold breeders responsible for this as well as horse owners who do not make provisions for the horses in their care. If you have a horse that you "love" and that has served you well in its lifetime, you owe it to the horse to see that it has a humane end. I suggest that when people get a horse, they set aside money for its humane euthanasia and disposal. That is the very least we can do as caretakers of these animals that give their all for us. If you prefer to see the animal used as feed for zoo animals or whatever, it still deserves a humane end (e.g., a bullet by a skilled marksman). As far as people eating horses, I just cannot bring myself to accept that aspect, though I know others do.

I am not completely against breeding, however, there is way too much irresponsible breeding going on. Personally, I believe breeding should be done only to improve the breed. Yes, I know that there is a lot of subjective opinion on what should be bred, and opinions change. But a no-brainer is the race industry breeding that goes on. What is the percentage of horses that are culled? And of course the Premarin issue. Breed the best...give the others a rest!

Feel free to flame away. I've withstood the California fires...no flames can compare to those.
default_wink.png
default_laugh.png

Closing the slaughter houses here may not have avoided this particular accident, but since the horses are now crammed on trucks for a lot further commute to their final desination, more of this is bound to happen more often. Folks only want to pay a hauler once and want to get their 'money's worth' so they are going to cram as much as they can to only do the paperwork once....

Closing our slaughter houses is not the answer- it is just looking the other way. Conditions could have been improved here, vs. sending them somewhere where we have no power to improve or change things to be slaughtered under what conditions now? This didnt fix the problem at all.

The 'breeders' can all be blamed for the overpopulation, but the entire world is overpopulated- with horses, people, dogs, cats, etc... and it's probably not going to stop anytime soon. So, another solution is going to have to be thought of....

Latest posts

Back