Double decker truck crashes in IL

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loren&Rocky

Reaction score
Did you guys hear about this?

WARNING SOME OF THESE ARE GRAPIC

http://www.bristolwisconsin.com/Horse%20se...nt%20Photos.htm

The fate of 46 horses that survived a weekend wreck in Lake County remained unclear Sunday as investigators looked into why 59 Belgian draft horses were being transported in a double-deck trailer made for cattle and pigs.

"Picture a narrow trailer, slippery as snot, a dangerous cavern filled with horses piled on top of each other, some of them kicking dangerously," said Colleen Fisch, the coordinator for horse enthusiasts in Wisconsin that helped with the rescue. "They were all in sections too small for horses. For the rescuers, it was extremely dangerous."

Firefighters and dozens of volunteers worked for more than five hours Saturday night to free the horses from the wreck on U.S. Highway 41 in Wadsworth, officials and volunteers said.

At least 13 animals died in the crash or had to be put down because of injuries, authorities and volunteers said.

Police are still uncertain who owns the horses.

The trailer driver, James Anderson, 34, of McLeod, N.D., told police he was transporting the horses from Indiana to an auction near Minneapolis, Lake County Sheriff's Police Sgt. Curtis Gregory said.

The crash happened just before 7 p.m. Saturday, Gregory said.

Anderson's northbound tractor-trailer was struck by a pickup truck going west on Wadsworth Road, police said. Anderson lost control, and the tractor-trailer overturned, blocking north and south lanes.

Gregory said Anderson was cited for failing to stop at a traffic light. He declined treatment and flew home to North Dakota, Gregory said. The driver of the pickup, Larry Hanlin, 67, of Libertyville, was treated for non-life-threatening injuries, Gregory said.

Illinois State Police safety inspectors are checking the tractor-trailer for violations, and Gregory said there may be charges related to how the horses were transported.

"They were just wedged in there," Gregory said.

I don't know what they were doing with so many draft yearlings, but it could not have been good. :no:

It is sickening to know that animals are treated so badly! :no: There should be severe fines for all involved

Breeders who have so little respect for living creatures should be put out of business..... but we hear "oh they are JUST livestock and we have a right to make money from them.!!!" And we call this a civilized society?? :nono: :nono: :ugh: :ugh: :new_2gunsfiring_v1: :new_2gunsfiring_v1:
default_frusty.gif
:
default_frusty.gif
: :new_let_it_all_out:
default_thumbdown.gif
:
default_thumbdown.gif
:

First off, THANK YOU to Colleen and her group for assisting with the rescue, as I know some of you will be reading this. I hope the shipper and the owner are fined to the hilt for this. There is NO REASON to have horses transported in double decker cattle trailers. Like Buckskin Gal said she hears "oh, they are just livestock" well, livestock or not every breathing animal deserves to be treated humanly. Would I LOVE to be a judge in this case and have the shipper and owner come in front of me. :ugh: :new_2gunsfiring_v1: Corinne

[SIZE=12pt] I thought those trailers were illegal in most states? People just sicken me
default_sad.png
...Nikki[/SIZE]

I think there should be a 'test for stupidity' taken before anyone takes part in any horse activity or owns a horse!

Some things and people never cease to amaze me, im not even going to click the link and look at the pics.

Its the things like that THAT COULD HAVE been preventable that really send me overboard :new_2gunsfiring_v1: :new_2gunsfiring_v1:
default_new_argue.gif
: :ugh:

I hope the shipper and the owner are fined to the hilt for this. There is NO REASON to have horses transported in double decker cattle trailers
Tell that to Mr Baker at the Sugarcreek Auction here on Ohio, you should see some of the things he puts in those trailers!

[SIZE=12pt] I thought those trailers were illegal in most states? People just sicken me
default_sad.png
...Nikki[/SIZE]
I thought that as well. I was under the impression it was illegal to move horses in those. And all the driver got was a fine for a traffic violation?! DOH! What about animal cruelty or endangering the poor horses' lives? No-Sad

Poor Belgians and for them being just yearlings. That must have really scared them. I totally don't see horses as just livestock. Maybe because I've had horses since I was five. I think horses are smarter and more friendly and more beautiful than cows, pigs, goats or sheep. I don't mind calling those livestock. I strongly think transporting horses in those huge trailers for cows is just not very nice.

What I want to know is, who owned them? What was their final destination? What was to become of so many babies? Where they all from the same farm or is someone into collecting heavy draft horses? Where will these babies end up? Were they going to be shipped to Japan for food?

My guess is they were prob meat horses. I know at sugarcreek (a horriable auction here in ohio) the owner buys meat horses (allot of drafts!) and ships them out in a double decker to wherever it is he sells them to.

I just cannot imagine though why they would have been just belgian foals? Maybe a breeder trying to cutt their losses? Im not sure but my guess is the owner doesnt want his name on the front of every newspaper and if it is a breeder, i bet he doesnt want his 'reputation' ruined either
default_no.gif

I haven't taken time to read the above article, but there was an item in our Bloomington, Il., newspaper this morning about it. I'm thinking they are probably "PMU producers by-products.

That is just sickening!! What were these people thinking??? (Obviously not thinking!
default_no.gif
) I hope they get some stiff fines for this...I feel sooo badly for these poor horses!!!
default_no.gif

That is absolutely sick, so, so sad and horrible! Thank you to all of those who helped save the majority of these babies!!!

What is really sick about this is where were those horses headed? To an auction so that they can be sold to kill buyers???? Or, were they bought by a kill buyer at an auction and being transported to their final destination???

The above are the only reasons that I can think of that these horses were loaded into that kind of trailer, packed that closely together. It would be to minimize cost at the expense of those horses.

Makes me just want to gag.

Now I have to ask, will these horses be returned to the owner so that they will meet that aweful end once they are healthy enough to travel? My gut says that these horses will be healed just to return to what was planned for them. I certainly hope that I am wrong in what the fate of these horses will be....

Please tell me that they will be impounded by the state and that they will be given a chance at getting good homes for the rest of their lives
default_pray.gif

That is disgusting that those poor youngsters were packed into that truck that way, so scary for them and so scary for the rescuers that had to get them out of there. Thank goodness they were able to get them out but I hope they don't have to go back to their owner, I hope someone can help them.

Yvonne

Latest posts

Back