dosing Penicillin?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniappluvr

Reaction score
I have a mini colt that was foaled on 4-4-04, and he has managed to cut his shoulder open. I went to my vet and talked about a plan of action, and we will be giving penicillin along with cleaning and applying cut heal. However, my vet has suggested 3cc's twice a day. This seems like a little much for a colt so small. I can't imagine he is any more than 50Lbs. I did tell my vet that. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

[SIZE=14pt]Michelle, that is the correct dose. If you give less it wont do the job and all it will do is make him more resistant to antibiotics if he ever needs them again.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Thank you! I wanted to ask the "mini" people before going ahead and giving it to him. My vet is mostly large horses, and I know he is learning as he goes too.

Big horses get 10cc depending on weight. It sounds like you have a vet you can listen to!

[I]L'il Beginnings Forums are intended for the open exchange of opinions only. Facts and advice must be taken in that context and should not be acted upon without third party verification. The opinions expressed do not represent the opinions of L'il Beginnings, they only represent the views of the members offering their opinions. L'il Beginnings and it's moderators are not responsible for the content of the opinions posted. All members, guests and anonymous users are required to abide by the rules and regulations of the forums as noted at this link. Opinions may be offensive to those who disagree, however attacks on or off of the forum are inappropriate. It is the management's sole discretion to remove posts or ban individuals from participating in the exchange with or without prior warning. Opinions are protected free speech and it is the intent of the forums to preserve that freedom. [/i]

This is the disclaimer posted on LB for this board. Certainly this should be enough?

I wish you good luck Lyn. I will add, JMO or "this is what I did in that situation" to all my posts now!

** Oh cr..................p! I posted on the wrong thread.
smile.gif
Sorry folks...

Last edited by a moderator:
wacko.gif
Merck company has it's merck veterinary manual online (free), which is a treasuretrove of info. (not to mention, it keeps us from being in a situation of "practicing veterinary medicine on the web"- refer to more recent forum post).

Latest posts

Back