dosing MSM?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sayyadina

Reaction score
One of my minis was just diagnosed with Lyme. She's starting treatment soon, but I'd like to have her on something for joint support. She just turned 7 and has been unusually stiff recently. I'd prefer just to supplement MSM since she also has metabolic syndrome, so glucosamine could be a problem.

Does anyone else give MSM to their mini? Any suggestion on amount?

Is there another joint supplement that'd be better?

Straight chondroitin is good, too.

I honestly don't know dosage, but if there are directions for full size horses, then I dose under 34" minis at 1/4 full-size dose, and 34-38" minis at 1/3 full-size dose.

Hopefully once she is treated for Lyme she won't be as stiff. I had two ponies with Lyme and stifness was a big symptom and it resolved fairly rapidly after starting the Lyme treatment. Within a couple of weeks if I remember correctly. I have never used MSM, but just wanted to relay my Lyme experience as it related to stiffness. Hope your mare will be on the mend soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I give my mini mare just a little less then 1/2 teaspoon per day of MSM

The dosage on my Animed brand tub says: 1 tablespoon (approximately .5 ounce) per 1000 lb. body weight morning and evening for 6 days, then 1 tablespoon per day.

Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back