dosage?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristi@berrett-ranch

Reaction score
We should be foaling in a few days. I have read posts about giving the mare Banamine after the birth, I bought the paste, how much do you give?

This doesn't go to the foal thru the milk?

Has anyone used Stress-Dex gel?

Thanks

Kristi

Banamine is dosed 1cc per 100 lbs body weight. I give it to my mares as soon as they foal. I don't want them in pain; I want them on their feet to take care of their foals. Banamine will not affect the foals.

Stress Dex is an electrolyte paste and I use electrolytes here as needed.

I've never given it and have never seen a mare in pain (knock on wood); and all have been great mothers. Great to have on hand, but don't give it unless you notice obvious signs of distress. They're tougher than you think.

I've never given it and have never seen a mare in pain (knock on wood); and all have been great mothers. Great to have on hand, but don't give it unless you notice obvious signs of distress. They're tougher than you think.
Have you ever had a baby? I have and it HURTS like heck.

We also give 1cc per 100 pounds after the placenta is expelled. We use the "injectable" but give it orally (never by shot).

A tube treats 3000lbs (usually). So you'd give 1/10 of that tube every 24 hours, unless directed otherwise by a vet.

If you're going the IV route, you'd give 1cc per 100lbs, as mentioned
default_smile.png

I also live in a state where I have to buy all my meds through the Vet. She can show you how much to give and tell you when. We use the paste and it is usually only a little, about one click, only draw back is it takes about 20 minutes to kick in, so you need to watch the mare until then, cuase sometimes they will lay on the baby if they are in bad pain. Most won't but sometimes they will roll over and the foal is right there.

TPs flat rock acres, you can only get Banamine through your vet. Prescription only. It's something I always keep on hand here, but my vet expects me to.
default_smile.png

We use the injectible banamine and give it orally. 1cc per 100 pounds.

I've had experience with mares that treat their foal aggressively and that stops once the banamine kicks in. The mare is in pain, doesn't understand why, so blames whatever is in her stall with her.

Also a few mares will continue to push after foaling and there is a risk that they may prolapse the uterus. Banamine has stopped this in the cases I've seen.

Besides making the mare more comfortable so that she can respond to her new baby, I call it insurance.

Charlotte

Ditto to everything Charlotte said.

Mares in pain not only are aggressive with their foals, they generally won't let them nurse, either.

A prolapsed uterus is not a pretty sight and one I don't want if I can prevent it.

Banamine here for all my girls after foaling.

I have never bred a mare nor will I ever, I will leave that to the people who know... however, I worked at a Vet Hospital for many years and only since 2005 have we been telling people that dogs and cat feel pain and need pain meds after a surgery/injury. Now at the clinic it is the other way around, unless someone states that they do not want pain meds it is given, if you don't want pain meds then they will point blank ask if you were being treated would you want pain meds? Thinking has changed, so with your Vet's help give pain meds. Be sure to know what you ae giving and how much, if unclear talk to that Vet unitl you are clear! Debbie

the only banamine paste I've had was marked in 250# increments on the tube (much like tube dewormer); so dose by weight (although, unlike dewormer its better to be right on with weight or go a little light). And, by all means follow your vet's instructions and read the label on the product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Katien, sweety, obviously you have not given birth, each one is different. With the first two I had to be knocked out because of difficulties, the last three all natural, no meds what so ever! The worst pain in my life, I thought I was going to die, I was begging for pain meds, but beforehand had told hubby and the Dr. no matter how much I beg no meds until after the delivery. So I give all my mares pain meds after delivery, It is not passed in the milk, and is safer for the foal then having a mare push them around becuause she thinks they have caused her pain, plus I can sympathize. I have helped with several grand children being born and my daughters have had pain medication during labor, it was like a party! Great fun was had by all. So much better. I worked for a vet for 20 years and I know animals feel pain differently then us humans, but they also try to hide it, especially prey animals like the horse. Have a little compassion please for these precious mares that give us our foals and somtimes their life. I'll get off my soap box now.
default_1857272.gif

Horses are different than humans. Besides, I have an aunt that says "having a baby is like taking a big dump. Just a different place."
I am unfortunate enough to live in a very "old fashioned" country where pain killers for mothers is not an option. My first son was not positioned correctly and would not come out no matter how much I pushed. I will save you the disgusting details but let me just say that the doctor finally jumped on my stomach to get my son out breaking 2 of my ribs. I have never had a "dump" like that! There are no words to describe the pain of child birth so bring on the Benamine for me.

My mares do not need to feel any pain caused by birth that I desired.

O.k I will fly down now so that you can shoot me
new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif

Horses are different than humans. Besides, I have an aunt that says "having a baby is like taking a big dump. Just a different place."
I am sorry but horse or human or dog or cat.. pushing something very large out of your vagina.. HURTS period end of discussion. It may be natural - it may be normal- yes 99.9 percent recover with no issues but trust me contractions are meant to hurt and they do- pushing something out of your birth canal and into the world hurts and yes my mares always got banamine after foaling.

I might add here that nursing tends to make one a bit ouchy the first couple of days as well. Milk coming in- Engorged teats -baby nursing all the darn time= more then slight discomfort until the milk production adjusts itself

We always give injectable banamine right after they foal. If it was me, I would want pain meds! Some of the mares get really crampy. Whether they obviously show it or act tough....they are in pain! They just had a baby lol. They are going to be sore for a while especially right after!

We're in the Banamine camp here. We also use the liquid orally. Very often the mare can be in enough discomfort that she wants to just stay laying down. This slows down the process of her newborn finding the groceries. I HATE seeing our girl in pain, plus it's so frustrating waiting and watching for that baby to LATCH ON. So Banamine it is.

Some folks think that giving Banamine prior to the mare passing the placenta slows her contracting and passing it. We have never found that to be the case. Her uterus is contracting automatically.......just like we human girls "push" whether we have been given a Spinal or not!

We get a bottle of Banamine from our vet once or twice a year, as needed. Haven't used the paste version in so long I've forgotten how it's dosed.....by weight, but don't know what increments.

Actually humans do slow passing of the placenta while on medication ;) But human doctors can physically remove the placenta, whereas that can cause major complications in the mare. Any tearing of the placenta has the potential to cause sepsis and kill the mare.

Latest posts

Back