Dosage of U-Gard for minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbyhorse23

Reaction score
...how much is enough. I ran out of alfalfa hay and don't like the cubes or grass/alfalfa mix hays I can get locally so I thought I'd try this product as being easier to pack to shows than a bunch of extra hay.

I'm feeling somewhat guilty as I typically prefer to do things the natural way but honestly!
default_rolleyes.gif
The boys are both fat and don't need all that extra protein and they're eating their grass hay so much better now that it's not the "poor cousin."

Kody's digestion has been much improved since I put him on probiotics a year ago but he still gets an unhappy gut at shows and Turbo is prone to picky eating and going off his feed too so I'd like them both on a longer-term preventative then just using Ulcergard at shows.

How much, in your experience, should I be giving them?

Leia

I have B-size minis and do use U-Gard pellets for a couple. I give them 1/3 the provided scoop, which comes out to about 1 tablespoon (I'm using a recycled scoop from another supplement, which is marked as 1 tablespoon). It seems to do the trick. The U-Gard is alfalfa-based, so probably pretty safe even if you use a little too much. [i've contacted the makers of U-Gard, and they've been quite helpful with my questions. One being, U-Gard is safe for pregnant mares; as is Corta-Flx pellets.]

I didn't even realize it came in pellets! I've been feeding it to my hard keeper using the powder. She practically WOLFS down her food now.

My horses get pelleted feed, so any supplements I try to get pelleted supplements as they hardly notice them and they aren't left in the bottom of the bucket.

Here you go: http://www.horse.com...ellets/E000456/

This horse gets a sweet feed (Omolene 300) while the rest get Strategy. The powder actually makes her eat better, which is a miracle. Still, I'll have to keep it in mind if I ever need to give it to my other girls.

This horse gets a sweet feed (Omolene 300) while the rest get Strategy. The powder actually makes her eat better, which is a miracle. Still, I'll have to keep it in mind if I ever need to give it to my other girls.
Not that you would want to mess with what's working, but Smart-Pak offers taste-test samples of their supplements, so to try the pellets you could always try through Smart-Pak.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/ugard-pellets-5477p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

Latest posts

Back