Dormosedan Gel VS. Dormosedan injectable

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Belinda, I get it from Mineral Area Vet Clinic, Farmington, Mo.

I've also had my dog vet order it for me and that was $34 if I remember correctly.

Hey Parmela you have to tell where your source is for $19 a bottle , I have looked all over , and besides having to have script to orderit a 5 ml bottle cheapest I can get it is $82.. Please let me know .. As with these first time Shetlands I use it for feet and clipping .. I am getting to old to fight with them . LOL !!
default_smile.png
)

I actually had the vet out to geld another horse today, and the first injection was IV Rompun (to be followed by ketamine). The horse had a reaction to the rompun (hadnt had the ketamine yet) and was thrashing around very badly for quite a while. Had to yell for more help to pin him down to get the ketamine in him, which left him quiet, but awake. I have NEVER had this happen when gelding, and this vet has done numerous geldings for me. Normally the rompun sedates them standing quiet, and the ketamine lays them down to sleep, we do the procedure, and they are back up in a half an hour. After this situation, I am scared to death of rompun, and will be sure that this horse NEVER gets rompun again.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my vets warned me that some vets will dilute the sedatives to make them go farther since they are so expensive. This is done when you get them by the shot. I have had the occasion when a shot doesn't seem to work as well as previous doses. I don't know if this is common, but thought I would pass this on.

Wow Val, very interesting. Hope that's not why my dorm is cheap!

One of my vets warned me that some vets will dilute the sedatives to make them go farther since they are so expensive. This is done when you get them by the shot. I have had the occasion when a shot doesn't seem to work as well as previous doses. I don't know if this is common, but thought I would pass this on.

My stallion had the SAME reaction mydaddysjag! Scared me so bad-he was a 16 yr old stallion getting gelded and actually thrashed until it wore off-about 30 or so minutes later (my vet gave a light dose). It was rough and really scared me. He was also awake. THE worst gelding experience i've ever had, but he healed better than the yearlings I had gelded at the same time. My vet said she has never seen a horse have that reaction to it before.

I've sedated hundreds of horses with xylazine (Rompum) and detomadine, and never had a reaction like that. I am confident saying it was a fluke. The vet could have given it IA since that type or response is VERY common if given in the artery rather than the vein. I wouldn't hold it against the drug at all.

Latest posts

Back