Dont understand

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rimmerpaints

Reaction score
ok i was new once and still am learning about minis. i joined this group because i knew nothing of minis. i had horses all my life but not a mini. i have learned just how different over the last yr they are. i fell completely in love with them. went from one mini to four.lol anyway some relative of my husbands who dont know much about horses and none about minis have me so upset. Let me say as soon as i got our first mini that same night was on computer researching. Anyway back to my story.His cousin buys two minis for his daughter after seeing how well mannered mine are and how much we love them. . I go over and what do i see two grown men adults on these two minis back (30 and 32 inches). These two men are NOT small at all toput nicely. My eyes got huge and i was like NO! Told them that was to much on them. His daughter was fine but not grown adults. They laughed at me and kept getting on these two minis that were so clearly upset and frightened. I told them to stop and let me tell them what i knowabout them. Asked them what did owner feed them. they said dont know were giving a scoopof sweet feed. i was like well minis digestives system is different then the big horses and colic and founder easily. againi got blown off. they said there just ponies. then isaid who did you get them from and did they give you any background on them. do they have kids. they said no kids just older lady said they pull.i was so done talking i left but cant stop thinking about what there doing. Is this wrong of me? Should i give them a book ,websites or something to try to get them to see what there doing can cause harm to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly for those two little horses, you can't fix stupid. It doesn't sound like these guys have any interest in learning anything about Minis, and they sure aren't interested in doing what is best for their horses. Some people make me sick with their ignorance and heartless ways.

I'm so sorry this has happened to you, although as we all know, this type of abuse (dont think I would call it ignorance!) goes on all the time.

Do these folk live anywhere near a road? If so, and they wont listen to anything you say or the advice you are offering, then perhaps you could point out that if they are seen riding the minis, they could get reported for animal cruelty - because what they are doing is actually reportable! (whether anyone would take ny notice of a cruelty report is another matter, but someone might!)

A very difficult situation for you - good luck.
default_yes.gif

When I bought my first mini it was at auction. I knew nothing about just seen a very under weight mistreated beautiful animal. Baught him went home and researched. My other minis I bought from a breeder. The people i have bought from asked me what i knew and also helped me learn things i hadnt read on this site yet(i may add this site is full of great wisdom) I also keep in contact with them and we became really close to them. If i need help now i come here and to them for help. It just amazes me how people just dont care and think oh it just a small horse they will be fine. COME ON! I question who they bought them from and why they didnt try to teach them a few things. Maybe they did and They had same attitude. Who know! Just really makes me mad!

They do live near a road. They live so far out in the sticks dont think many people will ever see them. They live about 5miles from my house. AllI know is I may be the one calling if I see this again. I just cant handle seeing that ever again. I dont care if there related or not. WRONG IS WRONG! I will try one more timeto speak to them and inform them of how they can get in trouble.

Quite frankly I have never found them all that different from big horses--yes, there are adjustments in feeding and various things, but after having big horses all my life changing to Minis 10 years ago wasn't that big of a change.

I didn't need a book or internet research (and I'm quite certain that the same is true of you) to teach me that I couldn't RIDE my Minis. Yes, they are small horses, but common sense should tell a person that just because you can ride a 15 hh QH/Arab/Morgan/whatever that it doesn't mean you can just go ahead and ride your 32" Mini--not if "you" are a 6' adult that weighs 200 lbs or even an adult that is 5' tall and weighs 100 lbs. That is common sense that shouldn't need learning...

If these guys cared anything for their horses they wouldn't need anyone to teach them that they shouldn't ride them. They would ASK someone what/how much to feed them to make sure that they didn't over/under feed & cause some health problems either way. There's a very good chance the seller told them what/how much to feed the horses but in their know it all way they didn't pay any attention. They won't listen to you, so it's a certainty that they wouldn't have listened to the seller either.

Why did they even get these horses? Just for the sake of abusing them? If I were in your place I would look for any excuse to turn them in to the authorities for abuse. Even family isn't exempt for a complaint in my world!

As you can do is try and educate them, people can be so dumb. It's just makes me sick when I hear of people abusing minis, especially trying to ride them like that.

It would be hard and nearly impossible to get anything done in this state in regards to a cruelty. And just as impossible to get these people to grow a brain. They will stop when the newness wears out and then it will start up again when someone comes over the house and they all get drunk and decide to go riding again. I think we all know nothing can be done. Too bad the horses don't accidentally get loose and just disappear in the night.

Quite frankly I have never found them all that different from big horses--yes, there are adjustments in feeding and various things, but after having big horses all my life changing to Minis 10 years ago wasn't that big of a change.

I didn't need a book or internet research (and I'm quite certain that the same is true of you) to teach me that I couldn't RIDE my Minis. Yes, they are small horses, but common sense should tell a person that just because you can ride a 15 hh QH/Arab/Morgan/whatever that it doesn't mean you can just go ahead and ride your 32" Mini--not if "you" are a 6' adult that weighs 200 lbs or even an adult that is 5' tall and weighs 100 lbs. That is common sense that shouldn't need learning...

If these guys cared anything for their horses they wouldn't need anyone to teach them that they shouldn't ride them. They would ASK someone what/how much to feed them to make sure that they didn't over/under feed & cause some health problems either way. There's a very good chance the seller told them what/how much to feed the horses but in their know it all way they didn't pay any attention. They won't listen to you, so it's a certainty that they wouldn't have listened to the seller either.

Why did they even get these horses? Just for the sake of abusing them? If I were in your place I would look for any excuse to turn them in to the authorities for abuse. Even family isn't exempt for a complaint in my world!
I agree that common sense plays a big factor anditdoesnttake a brain surgeon to see adults dont ride Minis! I did look on internet andi did buy a bookon minis for my personal knowledge to learn more about them. Do you have to do this well of course not. I do find a big difference in the minis then my QH and Paint horses. Showing Halter is the same but other events are different. There digestive system being different(more sensetive) and etc. Im big on education and learning about things i dont know and push this on my children. I guess thats the advocate in me coming out. there is no excuse for stupid. There is to much info out there to just play stupid. JMO

I would have verbally assaulted them (I won't say what I would have said to them lol).

How old is the daughter?? Is she old enough to read your books and really learn about the horses? If so, SOMETIMES nothing can be more upsetting to a father than listening to a whining child bewail him about abusing HER horses.

Personally, give it another try if you think it would do any good. But it's abuse, and I would take pictures and turn them in. And I agree with the writer who said this is not ignorance -- this is abuse.
default_yes.gif

[/quote

She is just 4 and cant read yet o that wont work. I will talk to them again or atleast try.

Just very sad
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

Family, friends, stranger, would make no difference to me.

If I think I am witnessing animal abuse I will advise the person that it is abuse and ask them to cease and desist or I will contact SPCA.

I'll bet beer was involved. I'd also bet it won't happen again but was just a "see the new toys through our beer goggles" event. Where is the mom? Lots of time Mom/Wife will step in and stop stupid behavior.

If it's your husbands relatives would he step in?

could you maybe find out who the "older lady " is who sold them? and ask her to check on them? maybe they would accept advise from her.

They do live near a road. They live so far out in the sticks dont think many people will ever see them. They live about 5miles from my house. AllI know is I may be the one calling if I see this again. I just cant handle seeing that ever again. I dont care if there related or not. WRONG IS WRONG! I will try one more timeto speak to them and inform them of how they can get in trouble.

100% WRONG is WRONG and i would make the call my self, sad part is like Marty said get any thing done hear is VERY HARD, I have lived her a little over 3 years & have bought YES bought 7 rescues... I meet up with a wonderful lady who has wonderful friends and when they come across ones that should be rescued UNDER THE LAW ( that we are lacking ) they work on the owner with money and buy them to get them out of the mess they are in, Then rehomes them ( if not in real bad shap ) some have to be treated at her or a friends farm with iv's and what have you... So I dont mind paying for a rescue, its in a beter place along with the others and there was private people who footed the bill, paid for them - hauled - them - cared vetted - farrier.....

Now I had one rescue, Mini with papers from a well know breeded.. I found her listed on CL for 200.00 so i went out to see her 3 years old and grown butt men had been trying to her. One man said I would get on her untill she ran me in to a tree & fence & then I stopped trying. I was not leaving with out her her halter was in bedded in her and they had her tied up around her neck with a eletric cord......

You are not wrong for feeling the way you do, Those mini's will get nasty, they are in pain, yes the daughter may be small enough to ride BUT after grown men gettting on them I would not trust putting the daughter on them she may end up getting the bad end of the stick for her fathers auctions.. They can NOT buck the men off and once they are in pain any thing on there back is going to hert and the daughter is going to end up hert, she is going to go flying.

Things I would try maybe not in this order.

Make the phone call ( not going to help most likly )

Talk to them about if they are for the daughter - they are putting her at risk

Try to buy them keep or rehome

if all else fails pray his fence is in need of repair and they get free

I wish you the best and hope the daughter stays safe
default_sad.png

I'll bet beer was involved. I'd also bet it won't happen again but was just a "see the new toys through our beer goggles" event. Where is the mom? Lots of time Mom/Wife will step in and stop stupid behavior.

If it's your husbands relatives would he step in?

Mom not around they are divorced. Now i understand why she divorced him even more! He gets his daughter every other week

Also no beer they were compelety sober. Just a bad case of STUPID! I have no problem reporting and yes i know nothing will get done. They wont sale them to me for the factthey think they can do whatever they want and buy whatever they want. They think there better then the rest kind ofpeople. My husband did say something to them. He is the one that said let go cuz he knew i was mad and about to go horsetel(Not hostel but samething) on them.

Check your local and state animal cruelty laws and ordinances. I am the animal cruelty investigator for my county. Our animal cruelty law states that any person who "overrides, overdrives, torments, deprives of necessary sustenance, cruelly beats, mutilates, or with cruelty kills..."(there is more but this is the part i wanted you to see.) This would def. be "overriding". The hardest part would be, that a law enforcement officer/animal cruelty officer/ etc would have to witness it, OR if you could get video of it. The next step would be having a vet make a statement that this would indeed be overriding. Animal cruelty cases are VERY hard to prosecute. If your state is like mine, most of the laws are so vague that it makes it even more difficult. Some friends who do my job in other counties have a hard time even getting the district attorney's office to cooperate and help prosecute. All of the things that i listed above are misdemeanors and dont carry a heavy sentence or fine even if they are found guilty. BUT I personally have found that if I get my ducks all in a row and have lots of evidence stacked up I can usually BLUFF an ignorant owner into cooperating! It makes alot of animal rights people mad, but if i can get an animal out of a bad situation by making a deal with the owners it sometimes works out better than if it goes to court. Don't give up!

well teh one thing i have learned and come to accept is, you just cant fix stupid!

Back