Donkey with miniatures? protection from predators

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsesdances

Reaction score
Hi,

sorry, it has been a while since I posted. Still waiting for the yearlings to shed! so I can put nice pictures of them!!

I just learned a cougar was seen about 10 minutes from my place. I must admit it worries me for the minis.

I love for them to live outdoors and wonder how I can protect them for sure. I have read a Great Pyrennes dog or a donkey would be good protectors. I would prefer a donkey because I already have a GSD mix with dog aggression problem (sometimes). Or even some sort of protective device? instead of another pet...

My question is... is it safe to put a standard donkey with 2 minis?

I read the miniature donkeys are to small for a cougar.

thanks

I promise I will take pics when the little guys finally have their summer coat!

I have full size donkeys with our miniatures and haven't had any problems. We've been doing this for over 8 years.

Donkeys and llamas make wonderful livestock guardians. However, you do have to be extremely careful with donkeys. Some will kill the animals they are there to protect and also attack dogs and cats. Not all donkeys will automatically protect other livestock. A lady I know had a donkey with her minis and he was ok with them. One mini was taken away to foal and when put back with the herd with her baby, the donkey immediately considered the baby not one of the pack and sadly killed it.

Cougars don't like animals which fight back. Donkeys and llamas do fight and can be very aggressive. Some cannot be trusted with children or even adult humans. So the donkey must be chosen very carefully. You cannot just purchase any donkey and expect it will know which animals are to protect and which not. Best to find one which has a history of being with other livestock. Even then, you should keep them side-by-side in a fenced area for a while, to observe how the donkey behaves.

Donkeys and mules are wonderful creatures, but have an overwhelming sense of self-preservation, so can be very dangerous animals. Mini donkeys cannot be used really, as livestock protectors but you should be able to find one which has livestock experience. Don't get one too young or too old.

Some prefer llamas to guard other livestock. Again, an aggressive llama, not handled much, can also be very dangerous to humans who enter the herd. Same with uncut males, so most prefer female llamas or donkeys. Years ago, I leased a big molly mule. Fabulous riding mare, but death to any small animals who came near her. Under saddle, she tolerated dogs, but on her own she had a real killer instinct.

Google livestock guardian donkeys or llamas. I'm sure you will find lots of info out there. Having cougars around is no fun and the trick is to get a livestock guardian before your local big cat discovers you have an easy meal on the property. Good luck and do let us know what you decide.

Lizzie

I have mini donkeys in with the mini horses but it took me forever before I could turn them out together. When I tried turning every one out together, the mini horses would run the mini donkeys ragged so I created a common fence line so everyone could get to know each other. I also had to work with them (clicker training) to get them acclimated to each other. Now, everything is fine and they are turned out together. As to wild animals, one day there was a cougar trying to wander into our pasture and my dominant mare ran it right out of the pasture. The donkeys on the other hand didn't even stop grazing. Now for my own peace of mind, everyone is in their stalls at night. Long way of saying, I think there are many standard donkeys who would be wonderful for your situation but you might have to take some time to find the right one and have some training time ahead of you as well. And I don't know if you're home all day or how close your pasture is to your house but I have peacocks and guineas running around and if anything out of the ordinary comes into the pasture, they start squawking and I know to head on out. Wild animals can be very worrisome for sure.

Thanks a million all for the great info and advice. For sure I want to make sure the minis wouldn't be harmed!

I do work from home - I am an artist. But not ther absolutely all the time, only most of the time. I also sleep tight at night. I am in Qc Canada, so peacoks would freeze in the winter. I will keep doing research. I understand any animal beeing a "guardian" can also be a threat to the animals I wish it to protect... so this is very touchy. I am also consulting with my friend the dog trainer about the Great Pyrenes dogs... same problem. My yearling stallion is very protective of me and kicks and charges dogs (my 2 german sheperds) out of his space, me or food very consistently unless I tell him not to before he starts... but he is pretty small for a cougar. I found this online as well - easy, affordable and safe... but does it really work?: http://www.niteguard.com/

any thoughts or experiences?

I have been here 10 years and had a goat until Feb 2011 and never any problems. We ear coyotes, but they never come close enough. We have always had big dogs coming out to the barn with me 3 times a day... so I am not that worried... but don't have to wait to have a proof to worry so I am studying the matter as I keep earing cougar beeing seen around here. Last year a horse was attacked 30 mins from here (lots km you must drive at 90km/hr to get there in an hour) but still a bit close to comfort.

We put a donkey with ours and they were fine for a while..then he killed my mare and foal trying to breed her..he was a jack though.i will never have another donkey.

For sure I would get a "gelding" if I ever was sure it was safe. I have 2 mini stallions and in another pasture gueldings (large horses very proud cut and 2 poneys). No mare or any kind of female here... that would make heck break loose!

I'd probably get a Jenny... Even donkey geldings can be rough... But steer clear of jacks as they really can get aggressive. Donkeys are just rougher by nature than horses.

Definitely a jenny although a young gelded jack would be fine or an older gelded jack who has been handled and used to miniature horses. Definitely stay away from an intact jack. If you want to read the donkey board, there's a thread on there about someone who was sold an intact jack by an unscrupulous breeder. I personally think donkeys are awesome but they require a different approach and training style. Hopefully, there's a breeder near you and you can visit some.

got a donkey with mine for their protection ...he is gelded and old . I would never put a stallion donkey with anything but a big nasty alpha mare as they can be rough . I also wont allow anything under 33 inches in with my donkey ,so the frail, 30 ince horses are a NO No for us . The donkey will pick up anything smaller and or anything he sees as a threat by the neck and give it a good shake , neighbors dogs included.

I have three mini jennies in with my mini mares. They are tremendous animals, will chase strange dogs and even foxes out of the pasture...make lots of noise when "invaders" approach their space, even wild turkeys!! The few times I have had a mare foal in the pasture the donkeys will stand gaurd until we go and get them into the barn. They are very docile and submissive to the horses, allow my dogs in the field but will do their best to smash strange dogs!!

Latest posts

Back