donkey driving in Sudan

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sugar Baby

Reaction score
I'm watching a show called Long Way Down with Ewan MacGregor. They are in Sudan at the moment and they showed footage of cart donkeys, no bits, only a makeshift halter with "reins". They also showed young boys riding donkeys with no bridle or reins what so ever. I have no idea how they were steering the donkey. Amazing what people do when they don't have all our "stuff".

Donkeys are not like horses... They do things on their own terms and are far less likely to spook or bolt.

Donkeys are not like horses... They do things on their own terms and are far less likely to spook or bolt.
Probably the donkeys practically live with their owners. This makes a bond. I think it would be very possible to "steer" without reins.

Usually when a culture is hard on its animals, the culture is hard on the people too. Think of pre-WW I soldiers, pre-tractor agriculture, nomadic peoples.

If American animals are overfed and underworked, the same might be said of the people. But what's the answer??

Latest posts

Back