Doing CPR On Your Foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

There have been several reports of new born deaths recently posted here. The following information is on my website and provided here for your information.

Miniature horses have a number of unique differences from their larger, full-size counterparts. Among them is that they seem to have a harder time getting out of the amniotic sac at birth. Miniature horse breeders commonly monitor their pregnant mares closely and prefer to be present at birth to assist if necessary. This can be done with a camera in the foaling stall, as well as halter alarms which alert the breeder that foaling is commencing. [SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]In 2000, despite our being present minutes after the birth process began, a foal was born not breathing and with no heartbeat. We ripped open the sac and began CPR. We were able to get the heart beating again quickly by using cardiac massage. My husband and I then took turns breathing for the foal. The foal was named Pacific Justin Time. He is now one of our prized stallions. It was worth the effort to bring him back to life. Justin is producing beautiful foals.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]It can take quite a while to get these foals to respond. But if you have a heartbeat, you are part way there. Believe me, I know how heart wrenching this is. I have been there, and not every foal can be saved, but you will not know if they can unless you try.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The information was published in The Horse Magazine, which is published by the American Association of Equine Practitioners. We have a copy that is laminated and placed on a clipboard in the foaling barn. I read it frequently during foaling season and have it in the barn as a quick reference guide should I need it. I am providing it here in hopes that more foals are saved because the breeders knew how to try to save the foal. It is important that the breeders know how to respond, as no veterinarian could possibly get there in time to help.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

I hope you never have to use it, but keep this information close by just in case.

Best of luck to you this, and every foaling season! This is the link for the CPR information:

http://pacificpintos.com/articles/cpcr.htm

Joanne --

THANK YOU for sharing this information with us!!! I have bookmarked your link on my computer.

When the thread is done, I hope it can be moved the the "Best Of" part of the forum so it will be handy for furture reference.

Thanks,

Jill

thumbs-up2.gif

Thanks for sharing this information. I have also bookmarked that page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, I also am going to print and place in our barn
default_yes.gif

terrific reminder and article Joanne.

I did CPR on a pulseless foal that was hip locked, bright and alert then faded away in front of me as I couldn't get her out and I suppse the cord was pinched, after trying all the manuvers, the mare went down once last time and I was able to get the foal out. Did CPR and eventually got a pulse back but the respirations never came back on their own.

Still I was glad that I was able to try.

I did it another time on a red bag delivery and the filly came around and is now all grown up and stunning!

CPR is a good thing to know in minis and for humans. We should all know how to do it, you never know when you will need it, foal or human.

Robin Russo

A couple of years ago I had a foal born that was alive one minute and stopped beathing the next. I KNEW this foal had been alive when I pulled it out. Suckle response etc. Just faded away in front of me and went totally limp.

My adrenaline kicked in and I started CPR and it started breathing after less than a minute.

I could not believe that he had done that. I was there from the water breaking on. No red bag. No sign of distress. Just stopped breathing after he got out. Before the mare stood. THAT QUICK !

It happens.

Horses are different from people in the way you do the cpr. You must close one nostril and the mouth and blow just into one nostril. It is helpful to have a second person to let you know that you are actually moving the chest up and down as the position of your hand often blocks you visually from seeing this. Also a second person can massage the heart and make sure it is beating.

A stethoscope if a GREAT thing to have in your foaling kit. No expensive and very useful.

I just HATE loosing a foal. It is worth trying.

But not all will be saved unfortunatly. It is so hard when you have waited so long to see them.

THANK YOU for posting that itrs wonderful info to have, I have printed it and will keep handy.

THANKS

Terrific information, thank you. I too would like to post on another forum if I may? We try and keep a lot of advice handy for foaling.

Kate

Yes, Please post the link anywhere it can help others. You can use this same CPR technique on a dog or a cat too. Basically any animal that has a muzzle.

Again, I always hope you do not ever need to use it, but just like knowing what to do when you have a red bag, this is important information to know.

I highly recommend it be posted in the foaling barn. We have our laminated.

Latest posts

Back