Dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driving Miss Dixie

Reaction score
Down the road from us are two large dogs. They are not real aggressive, but I have avoided going that direction because I am sure they will come charging out barking at my mare. I am not sure what is the best way to deter this, and thought you guys probably have encountered this before. So what is the best thing to do? Thanks for your help. Mary

I have encountered this many times over the years. If the dogs are in a fenced area I dont care and we just keep going. If the horse is nervous, we just walk and I talk calmly to them. After a few times, they get over it.

If it's not fenced this can create a problem! I have had dogs charge out at us- I always slow to a walk so as not to encourage the dogs to 'chase' the horse and get further excited.

Do you drive with a whip? I will never go out without one. I had a large Shepard one time not only charge out but I saw him crouching to leap at the horse to attack and he was close enough I could reach him with my whip. He got it- really hard and I yelled GIT OUTTA HERE at the same time. It startled the dog and he backed off to think- and fortunately for the dog, the owner came out at that time and called him in. (I just HATE when dogs are just allowed to run loose)

I have found dogs dont like being stared down, so I dont turn my back to them. Also they dont like to be pursued- which I have turned a done a couple of times- coming at them seems to make the dogs a bit nervous (it's much more fun when they are the pursuer) and they back off.

Most have been pretty good if I firmly tell them NO- or GIT HOME etc... and just watch them. And I always just walk when there are loose dogs. Dont try to trot and get out of there fast- the horse can become more easily startled and it seems to excite the dogs more too.

When Keith and I drive together, we take our longe whip in addition to the driving whip. Ironically, we've only had problems at Keith's company picnic, where people were specifically told that all dogs must be leashed. Ha! Isn't it every dog's right to threaten horses, other dogs and people? Needless to say, while they always ask us to bring him, we never again will. One idiot watched his dog lunge at Mingus and that commented that I was worrying for nothing...he wasn't bothered by the dogs. I wish I had used the whip -- on both the dog and his owner!

Latest posts

Back