Dogs on Prednisone

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnie

Reaction score
My precious baby, Maggie has developed allergies. My vet put her on prednisone and after reading the side affects, I called her back. She said the only side affects they'd seen was excessive thirst but their's a whole list of them that can come about and they are not good. She hasn't been sneezing and itching since I gave it to her but I'm really scared for her. I'm not over my beloved Sassy's death and it's been 5 yrs, I can't bare to lose Maggie from these terrible side affects. Has anyone used this on their dogs and had any side affects? How long did you leave your dog on it?

My Great Pyrenness was on prednizone last year as well as some heavy duty anti-biotics. She had some issue with the pads of her feet last year and after trying several different medications, the prednizone and anti-biotic combo finally took care of it. The script was 1 tablet prednizone twice a day for 14 days and the anti-biotics 3 tablets twice a day for 10 days.

Now 2 weeks ago, I noticed she was starting to limp so checked out her feet and one foot showed the same signs as last year so right away we started her back on the prednizone / anti-biotic combo and by the 3rd morning she was fine again.

As far as side effects she didn't experience any. I was told to feed her extra because the prednizone will make them hungrier, so I did. I was also told to wean her off the prednizone, don't just stop it. So the last 2 days doses I gave 1 table a day for 4 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
My parents' dog had really bad hot spots and flea allergies. Prednisone saved his poor itchy skin each summer. I never really noticed any side effects and he lived to be a very old dog.

I've personally been on Prednisone for near my whole life.

It is a double edged sword, for the good and bad it does

but as in my case, the alternative isn't so hot.

Going in with quick treatment and getting back off it, for most, won't have

the same potential bad effects as being on it long term. Of course individuals

do vary.

Depending on the dosage and how long she needs to be on it, I say it is a

good medication for the many good things it does.

You are aware of the potential side effects, just stay alert to them but I am here

to say, it's do able and not having her be miserable with her allergies is a good thing

for her.

Weaning off is desirable, just don't stop it all at once. Can cause thirst

and might make her 'think' she is hungier than she really is. She won't

require extra calories just because she 'thinks' she's hungry. Best to give it to her

with food in her tummy.

Hope Maggie will feel better and only require short treatment. Are her allergies

seasonal?

My GSD Tracey was on it for years. It does make them get the munchies so I just kept plenty of food out. She did pee a lot too. You do have to wean them on and off of it slowly.

My mix in my avatar get's skin allergies in the late spring, prednisone is the only thing that helps him...he is usually on it about a month. Yes, it does make them hungry but I fed the same as always...thirsty too...I just let him outsde more often to pee.

There are side effects to every med out there..you have to weigh the good against the bad...usually the good outweighs the bad.

My sister in law had a Chocolate Lab that had very severe allergies all of her life. Predisone was one of the meds she was mostly on. I don't think she ever had any side effects but the dog never acted like she felt well, she got worse and at 6 years of age and $10 K later, she was put to sleep. She had been on every med that the vets could come up with, none of which worked and it finally took it's toll on her health. Now her new Lab has had an allergy issue as well, no where near what the first dog had, she was put on Prednisone as well but only for a few days and it worked fine, the dog is healthy with no ill effects from the drug.

I have a little 2 yr old dog who has developed pretty bad allergies - have taken him in for a cortisone shot a couple of times with limited success. The first time it seemed to help for a good while, but the second time it was much less effective so I'm shampooing him now with Neutrogena T Gel shampoo and giving him Benedryl. He's still itching but it's better than it was, and he is growing hair back. How are you giving the prednisone - pill, liquid? Might be something I have to consider.

Jan

I tried the Benedryl along with the baths too but it didn't work. Because she's only 11 pounds, I chose the liquid. The amount she has Maggie on though only seems to last till the next morning and I give it to her about 3 in the afternoon. She gave me enough for 5 days and then I have to skip a day and a dose, skip a day and a dose, then call her back. I hope by the time I'm done with this week, it's working all day long so she doesn't have to put her on a higher dose.

This is why it scares me SIDE AFFECTS ---------------

Treatment of excessive itching

Alleviation of asthma and other allergies

Managing emergencies like injuries to the spinal chord

Controlling rejections during organ transplants

Treating kidney disorders

On one hand, the manner in which this drug works allows it to be extremely versatile. It suppresses the immune system; therefore, it can be used to treat auto-immune, inflammatory, and kidney diseases.

On the other hand, the side effects that prednisone causes are burdensome for the pet owner. The following side effects can present themselves even when the drug is used for a short period of time:

Renal disorders

Abnormal thirst levels

Excessive hunger

Side effects that occur after a considerable period of usage are as follows:

Ulcers in the digestive tract

Pain and inflammation in pancreas

Diabetes

Degeneration of muscles

Unpredictable change in behaviors

The most dangerous side effect that can appear while administering prednisone is hyperadrenocorticism in dogs . Also known as Cushing’s disease, this condition is caused by an inadvertent overdose of the drug.

I would ask to have allergy tests to determine what she is having a problem with -- this may result in a cure that is as simple as what dog food she can eat. In the long run, the cost will be minimal compared to the current concerns. This is especially true with a small dog, IMO.

I have to agree with Bess Kelly. I'd have her tested to see what she has allergies to and go from there. It may be an allergy to something in the the dog food or it may be environmental.

I've known quite a few dogs and other animals that have lived on prednizone. There haven't been any adverse reactions to the drug.

I did call my vet, the blood test is $250 and then she said we'd know and we can give her shots, not sure what kind she said but I just want her better so taking her in next wk. I didn't even know a person could test so thanks for the info. Evey day I put the Prednisone in her, I feel like I'm poisoning my baby, I just can't bare to take a chance with her.

I would try a change in dog food before the allergy shots. My SIL had to put her dog on a venison and potato dog food, no treats or people food at all. It helped some. She also did the testing and tried the allergy shots but her dog ended up with a staff infection ? I believe, if not that it was something health related that she couldn't continue with them. The serum for the shots was expensive, over $300 for a vial .

I had a Shih Tzu that had severe allergies.

We made the decision to put him on Prednisone. It made a world of difference for him, he led a comfortable life on that medication.

We were warned that it could shorten his life but we decided that the quality of his life was not good without it. We would rather that he have a good "shorter" life than a long miserable one. It was a medication that he had to be on for his entire life.

He passed away at 10.

I was going to add too that our vet suggested that we try and give him the smallest possible dose that would help him and allow him to be comfortable.

He didn't really drink anymore than usual

My Min Pin has Degenerative Disk Disease and when he has an episode (he was literally paralized when he was at his worst and I thought I'd have to put him down) we use Prednisone in very small doses and it works for him. He is almost 11 now and still tries to ask like a puppy...sometimes...LOL
default_wub.png
The only side effect I have noticed with him was weight gain, so we keep his food intake very structured...
default_wink.png

While I don't recommend steroids for a long-time use, it does have its short term positives.

Latest posts

Back