Dog wars at our house

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuffsmom

Reaction score
Okay, we're in a HUGE debate at this house.

My mother lost her 11 year old tiny teacup poodle, Muffin, about 9 months ago. She bought him when he was born, and picked him up at 6 weeks of age. That dog went everywhere with us, she had an awful time when he had to be put down. My dad now says that he has caught her looking in the Dallas paper, and looking online for dogs & dog breeders. So...I thought of a brilliant idea!

I have found the most ADORABLE pups. They are teacup Yorki-Poos (Yorky/Poodle crosses). They will mature around 3-4 lbs, are hypoallergenic (which is a must with my mother), and will be ready to go a week before Christmas. Plus, they are located about 45 minutes away from me (in San Antonio), so I can go see them before I purchase one. BUT, they cost $650.00

I told my hubby about this...and it HIT THE FAN. He is dumbfounded that I would pay $650 for a "mutt". He says this dog has no papers, is of no use, and is no where near worth that amount of money. He said that he is in no way against getting my mother a dog for Christmas, but to spend that amount of money is ignorant.

HOWEVER, for a little background, he has never had a "pet" in his life. Our dog, Ace (who is a boston terrier), is all boy & all dog. He lives outside 24/7 and can take complete care of himself, if need be. That dog has seen most of the United States from the bed of our pickup. Ace has not been babied one day in his life...hubby thinks that if they are not smart enough to figure it out on their own, he has no use for them. (He is not heartless...he was just raised this way, with this mentality).

SO, I told him that I work too, and if I wanted to give up my Christmas to get my mother this dog, I was going to do so. Does anyone else think I am being rediculous for giving this amount of money for an unregistered "pet" dog?

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were my Mom and I thought that the dog suited her perfectly I would not bat an eye at the price. I do like to get rescue dogs but that could be very difficult to find what you are looking for. If you can really, truly afford it I say "go for it!"

I don't think that is too high a price. Who cares if it's a purebred dog or a really desirable cross??? All but one of our dogs are purebred and came with papers that I never sent to AKC. I don't need the papers. Plus, the purchase price on a dog is just a small drop in the bucket compared to the costs to keep one and a tee tiny fraction of a drop compared to what they mean! I've paid around $500 - $800 for our dogs, and adopted two for small fees. Talk about good investments because they're worth all the money in the world now.

My husband sounds very similar to yours. He chokes on the thought of paying that much for a dog. Not to say we haven't paid quite a bit before for a cat. We paid $500 EACH for two cats (and he loves those cats). Not sure why he feels that it's too much for a dog??

Anyhow, my thought on it is, if it is NOT a hardship in anyway, I don't see a problem with it. But I'd be sure to discuss it some more with him so he won't be completely annoyed when you go ahead and get it
wink.gif

I've even thought about this...my Dad & little sisters can get her like a PetCo gift card, so she can go and get all the garb for the dog (a carrier, sweater, collar, etc..).

It wouldn't be too much of a hardship on our finances. However, we have been doing the Dave Ramsey "get out of debt" plan. And a $650 dog blows our Christmas budget....so I do see his point. But I also know that my mother would do the same for me in a heartbeat.....

I'M GETTING THE DOG

Last edited by a moderator:
Paid much more than that for our doggie. My neighbour just bought there son and Daughter in law(in the summer) an tea cup poodle- yorkie cross too, apricot color and pd around $800.00 canadian. I know the breeder gave her a good deal the pick of one of her previous litter went for $1000.00.

Tiffany

I've even thought about this...my Dad & little sisters can get her like a PetCo gift card, so she can go and get all the garb for the dog (a carrier, sweater, collar, etc..).

It wouldn't be too much of a hardship on our finances. However, we have been doing the Dave Ramsey "get out of debt" plan. And a $650 dog blows our Christmas budget....so I do see his point. But I also know that my mother would do the same for me in a heartbeat.....

I'M GETTING THE DOG
Good for you!!!
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
Moms are priceless!!!!!
wub.gif

I don't think the money is too much and too make your Mom happy is certainly worth it.

I think I would tell her what you want to do, though. I know a surprise would be really fun but she might be thinking of a different breed. Since she is looking in the paper she might be trying to decide on certain breed or maybe she's not really sure if she wants another dog. Its a big committment and she should really be part of it.

While I oppose ever purposefully purchasing a mutt and perpetuating the breeding/selling/profiting from this practice........if it makes your mom happy then the price isn't the issue....

However yorkies are NOT hypoallergenic dogs.....and in fact no dogs are truly hypoallergenic .....poodles tend to produce minimal dander because of the type of hair they grow....if your mother is allergic I would not risk a crossbred as the hair type may end up not suitable........

I can see his point somewhat - I think it is ridiculous that these breeders are getting this kind of price for a "fad"...just like the goldendoodle/labradoodle, when people stop paying the prices, you'll see these dogs in the pound. But...if you think it is a good match for her then it's worth more than the price. I know my "mutt" is worth way more than any price...but if it's going to be hard for your family to swing it...check out the pound...you may be able to find a small dog a couple years old/already housebroken and cute as ever - you'd be saving the dogs life as well as giving your Mom a new one.....
biggrin.gif

well i have to say they arent known for being hypo allergenic and any poodle cross really you just dont know which way the genes will fall i have seen lab- a - doodles with poodle coats and once could guess maybe they are hypo allergenic but I have also seen some with lab coats where that sure wouldnt hold true.

If allergies are a problem i would avoid this dog so that she doesnt have to get rid of it

Yes I think it's ridiculous and you are way out of line there.

Sorry!

I would let your mother pick and choose her own dog. She may have just been browsing and not serious or ready for another dog anyhow. Then, maybe you could offer to buy one for her if she says she has found one and if it's reasonable which $650 is certainly not in my opinion. I'd back off.

I think you need to let your mom decide what breed she wants and be able to pick it out herself. This year I had to put my Jack Russell down(she was 15 and end-stage renal disease). I loved that dog to death and my husband very sweetly thought he'd get me another Jack Russell to replace her. Well, for one thing, you can never "replace" another dog......just doesn't work. Luckily I caught wind of it and we nearly had a big fight when I told him I didn't want another Jack Russell. I was looking at other breeds. Then at work one night my supervisor mentioned her litter of Cairn terriers(one of the breeds I was looking at) and my husband and I went together and picked out our little girl....Cami! So, from being in your mom's position, I think it's wonderful what you want to do, but I wouldn't make the jump without your mom being in on it. Good luck!

Okay, I had not thought about letting her in on her suprise....I think that is a very good idea. I had gotten so excited about this, that I didn't really think about that.

Also, this dog would be neutered/spayed. It is not for any sort of breeding, whatsoever. She loves the teeny tiny dogs, she carried Muffin around in her purse, and took him everywhere. I would love to rescue a pound puppy, but I don't think that it quite fits what I'm looking for.

Also, it's not that allergies are the problem, it's the shedding that she can't stand. Hypo-allergenic was not the correct word for it....it WAS the word on the advertisement for the dogs, though. Confusing suckers
wacko.gif

Check out Petfinder.com. Type in your breed of choice, age of choice and location. It will give you a long list of adorable adoptables in your area. I did a search for poodles in Texas and came up with a bunch of pups, and there will be adults as well. Do a little search and see what you can find. Much easier than going to the pound and hoping they have what you are looking for, but you can still feel warm and fuzzy about adopting, and leave a little in your wallet. (I think most adoption fees are high, but not nearly as high as what you were prepared to pay for the one you were looking at).

In fact, here is a young female right in San Antonio for you to consider, though I encourage you to look around more of course!

Camy

tuffsmom said:
Okay, I had not thought about letting her in on her suprise....I think that is a very good idea. I had gotten so excited about this, that I didn't really think about that.
Also, this dog would be neutered/spayed. It is not for any sort of breeding, whatsoever. She loves the teeny tiny dogs, she carried Muffin around in her purse, and took him everywhere. I would love to rescue a pound puppy, but I don't think that it quite fits what I'm looking for.

Also, it's not that allergies are the problem, it's the shedding that she can't stand. Hypo-allergenic was not the correct word for it....it WAS the word on the advertisement for the dogs, though. Confusing suckers 
wacko.gif

515122[/snapback]

hypoallergenic dogs is the current trend in selling......it is an advertising scam so that dog's can be sold for MORE money......as I said I never encourage the PURCHASE of mixed breeds however picking one out at the shelter is always a good thing. To relate this practice to our passion mini horses......would you buy a mini without papers from a backyard breeder for 1000? when you buy mixed breed dogs this is the same thing
wink.gif

I think you need to eavesdrop and find out exactly what she has been looking at then offer to take her to look if she falls in love then spring for the payment
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back