Dog problem... input appreciated!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weebiscuit

Reaction score
I don't know what to do about this and would like advice and input! My mom died two years ago and my dad is 86, recovering from a broken hip, blind, and heavy with dementia. He was released from the rehab center on Saturday and went back to his Assisted Living apartment, but the next day he fell and was sent to a hospital. Before they sent him to the hospital, he apparently got beligerent with the Asst.Liv. center staff, tried to hit one of them, and was such a problem that they told my brother he most likely "could not return" and would have to go to a nursing home.

Since July 6, when my dad broke his hip, his dog, a little Shih'tzu, has been living in the Assisted Living Center apartment. When dad moved there they said he could bring the dog. The staff has been letting the dog outside and feeding it, but in another week the dog has to leave. I simply cannot bring the dog here. I have three dogs. One is a 13 year old blind miniature pinscher. The other two are rescued lab-mixes, and one of those labs cannot dogs other than the two he lives with. When I say he can't tolerate them, I mean he literally attacks dogs that come anywhere near me. He would kill the Shih'tzu.

My brother and dad are in Florida. My brother is a widow, living alone, and he doesn't want the dog either. (I am in Wisconsin). But, we both agree that we simply cannot send the dog to a pound or shelter, because our mom absolutely loved that dog to pieces, and we simply have to make sure it's well-taken care of and in a good home. He's such a cute little booger. If I didn't have an attack dog I'd take him in a heartbeat.

My daughter said that if no one else in the family wanted him, she could probably take him. She already has a dog. Part pit bull, part whippet or something extremely thin! LOL! But he likes other dogs a lot, so that might work out. Daughter wasn't all that keen on taking another dog, but she said that it was "Grandma's" dog, and she would take it if no one else did.

So, I'm trying to figure out a way to get the dog from Florida to Wisconsin. Right now it's out of the question for me and my husband to drive down there and get him. I will be staying in Florida during the month of Feb., but we have to get the dog moved sooner. Has anyone ever hired an airline to simply transport a dog without also being on the plane? I'm very worried that Sammy would freeze to death in the cargo hold. I'm also worried that they'd "misplace" him and he'd end up who knows where?

Is it safe to do this with a dog? My concern is that there is no direct flight from there to here. There is always a plane change, usually in Atlanta, and sometimes there are TWO plane changes at two different airports. I just freak out thinking the dog might not get put on the correct plane.

Any thoughts?

I think horse people are the best! I think you should copy what you wrote and paste it onto the sale board and transport board. Ask if anyone can give the dog a lift to get him home to WI.

It's worth a try!

Do it now! Maybe someone in FL is going to World in TX and can pass him to someone that'll be going to WI after the show. A Shih'tzu convoy!

We have used American Airlines to ship pups. Weather has to be within what they consider safe temps. Vet check and clear for travel required first. You purchase shipping crate and arrive with vet papers. AA website can give you all the details. I actually hated flying pups, especially after all those died on that Oklahoma flight last year. Also they will not fly animals is they are already transporting dry ice in cargo. I really got tired of being shut out by that at our little airport.

Another option is a dog transporter. I can recommend one. His website is vagabondhound.com. Phone is 509-570-4009. He goes cross country pulling a huge custom made trailer. I was very impressed with his setup. One of our anatolian pups rode from Texas to new home in Montana. He kept me and the buyer well informed. The buyer was very pleased with him. My only concern is that he almost never sleeps. He is a one man operation. His name is Steve.

There was also another one we considered. It was a mother and daughter team that traveled in a van. I do remember they were up and down the east coast often. Sorry I do not recall their name. You can do a google search for that type of business and likely find several.

I would totally go with a dog transport. They are set up for dogs and my friend in Connecticut has used them twice now for dogs she has adopted from that TV show that used to be on Animal Planet. Can't remember the name but just use google and a lot will come up.

I used Delta airlines when I shipped my German Pinscher from Florida to Hartford CT. The temp has to be above 30 degrees and you have to use an air certified crate to ship. She changed planes in Atlanta and then to Bradley in Hartford. Everything was fine.

I have also had shippers come to deliver horses to me that had dogs that were being dropped off along the way. That may be a better option. The drivers seem to like the companionship while on the road.

Good Luck!

Did you call Worleys hauling? I have no idea where they are transporting, but they do dogs. I don't like flying dogs, personal preference, too many unknown factors when the dog is out of sight. Lots of breeders fly their dogs all over I am sure without trouble. I don't remember if you said how old the dog is. Very stressful for older dogs to be shipped.

You could also consider finding the little dog a good home. I have a sweet little Tibetan spaniel in my home I adopted when her owner went into a nursing home. She is the light of my life and her owner died peacefully knowing his little girl was well cared for and loving life on the farm with three little kids loving all over her.

You are doing a great job, I am sure you will find something terrific for the little dog. that makes everybody feel comfortable.

Sometimes horse shippers will take a dog from point A to point B. Maybe that is an option that would work out? My own BFF is a shih-tzu
default_wub.png

OK, I'm going to go back to the original post here, or at least what I heard when I read it. It seems to me like no one is really excited about taking this dog in, and then working so hard and bearing the expense of bring the dog to your daughter is a burden as well. Why not find some lovely older retired couple in Florida who would LOVE to have a small dog bring joy to their lives? My mom looked for a year before she found a small, adult dog to adopt as they are terribly hard to find. I'm not sure how you would do this long distance, but surely someone there who knows this sweet little dog (his vet?, someone at assisted living?) could give you some kind of idea how to find this dog a new home.
default_smile.png

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions! I had no idea there were dog transporters that do that for a living just like horse shippers! *stupid me*

I would much prefer that over airline transport. That just scares me. I also don't understand why the airlines say the temps have to be over 30 degrees, because once that plane is flying up there at 10,000 feet, I'm sure the temp will be freezing at those altitudes, no matter what it's doing on the ground. The idea of putting the dog in a crate in the belly of an airplane simply frightens me.

Jayne, the expense of bringing the dog from Florida to Wisconsin isn't an issue. It's the *how* to get him here that we were trying to figure out. How to do it with the least amount of stress to the dog. And I didn't mean to imply that none of us wanted the dog... it's just that in our present situations and circumstances, none of us can bring another dog into the home, or in my brother's case, he's just not there enough to have a dog. His job requires him to be gone too many weekends. I think my daughter would be very happy with him.

It's not easy for any of us to just find someone to take him. What if they decided they didn't like him and passed him to someone else? The poor dog has been through too much. First, my mom dies two years ago. He's left alone with my dad, who is blind. Then a year ago my dad goes into Assisted Living, so the dog goes with him and no longer has his fenced-in yard to run around, but instead spends all day long, except for brief potty breaks, on a leash, in that little apartment. Then two months ago my dad is taken from him and he's been living alone in my dad's Assisted Living apartment for two months, with staff members coming and taking him out to potty and feed him, but no other contact.

Neither my brother, sister, or I am comfortable with just "finding him a home." We would never know if it was truly a good home, if he was really being cared for and loved. We would just be more comfortable if someone in the family took him, as long as we can get him here without stressing him too badly.

Latest posts

Back