Dog breeding question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitz Huf Miniatures

Reaction score
[SIZE=18pt]A friend of mine is looking to breed her pure bred dog. They own both a pure bred and a "mutt" and ended up with a litter of mutts a couple of years ago. Well, the male was fixed after this happened and now they want to breed their pure bred to another pure bred for pure bred puppies. They have heard that once a female is bred to a non-pure bred, she is "ruined" and should never be bred for pure bred puppies. The vet has told them this isn't true, but there are a lot of people telling them otherwise. I figured I would come onto the forum and ask, as I know a lot of members are dog breeders and I have absolutely no idea! I tried looking it up online for her and didn't find anything in the registry and when I emailed a question about it, they told me to talk to our vet. :DOH! [/SIZE]

That is like breeding my Registered mini to and unregistered horse than cannot breed with a register horse after that... hog wash
default_new_shocked.gif

Tell them to go and breed but just like minis want a good breeding stud

I've never bred dogs (and probably never will) but I am sure Mary is right on this issue. It just sounds crazy for it to be otherwise.

[SIZE=18pt]Thanks for your help. My husband and I don't understand how a dog can be "ruined" for the rest of her life by an unwanted breeding. My sister has a purebred golden and said her breeder and the vets in the area told her the same thing ~ unwanted breeding to a mutt = the dog is ruined. We actually want one of these puppies, as my hubby would like to eventually breed and my parents and sister have gone on and on about how this puppy won't be pure and isn't worth considering.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
DEFINATELY NOT TRUE!!! That is like saying if I had a child by a man from another race, that all of my following children would also be of that race...totally unreal, and not true!

Now on the other hand, a dog can have several sires to one litter! There could be 3 pups in the litter with as many sires!
default_yes.gif

Definitely baloney. Each time is totally different. Tell them to pick a good male and enjoy those babies. At least they know what to expect and what to watch for with mom and kids. The mutt experience will stand them in good stead.

I say hogwash too!

DEFINATELY NOT TRUE!!! That is like saying if I had a child by a man from another race, that all of my following children would also be of that race...totally unreal, and not true!
That's the same point I was going to make!

Now on the other hand, a dog can have several sires to one litter! There could be 3 pups in the litter with as many sires!
I got two kittens from a farmer a while back and when i took them to the vet for shots, checkup...the vet said it looked like they came from two different fathers, although I guess no way of knowing for sure unless you did some DNA
default_biggrin.png

Cross-miscegenation- it was a very popular theory in the 50's and Yes it was also applied to Humans.

It is rubbish and DNA and genetic advances have luckily long proven it to be rubbish- in fact I have not heard this theory for at least thirty years!!

Call me rotten, but I'd be concerned about buying a dog from any breeder who believes this to be true.

We used to get this question quite often at the vet clinic where I worked. Of course it's not true at all!

We also had a woman once come in and say there was something wrong with her puppy. "He's supposed to be a male, but look! he has nipples!". My boss retorted, "well, so do I, but I guarantee I'm not a female either"!
default_new_shocked.gif

We also had a woman once come in and say there was something wrong with her puppy. "He's supposed to be a male, but look! he has nipples!". My boss retorted, "well, so do I, but I guarantee I'm not a female either"!
default_new_shocked.gif

default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
That is just tooo funny......

~kathryn

Definitely not true.

I hope your friend and the owner of the stud dog will do the proper health testing before breeding to ensure breeding these particular dogs will not pass along genetic problems like dysplasia, heart issues, etc. All breeds have certain issues to screen for.

[SIZE=18pt]Thanks for your help. My husband and I don't understand how a dog can be "ruined" for the rest of her life by an unwanted breeding. My sister has a purebred golden and said her breeder and the vets in the area told her the same thing ~ unwanted breeding to a mutt = the dog is ruined. We actually want one of these puppies, as my hubby would like to eventually breed and my parents and sister have gone on and on about how this puppy won't be pure and isn't worth considering.[/SIZE]
It is hogwash but if your sister wants to breed her golden she should do all the health checks prior to breeding her, she should get her eyes certified by an opthamologist, her hips and elbows xrayed and cleared by OFA and her hear5t checked also. Goldens are a wonderful breed but some lines are subject to cataracts, hip & elbow dysplasia and heart problems. Hope the checks are clear and she has a wonderful litter of pups.

Yvonne

Just thinking.........

I wonder if those who are so adament that the dog is ruined didn't maybe one time see a mixed litter, where the dog was bred to a purebred dog (sire of some of the puppies) but a romeo mutt also bred her, giving a mixed litter. Maybe they saw something like that from a dog who'd previously had a litter of mutts and they just assumed some things incorrectly.

Latest posts

Back