Dog attack, very long & very graphic

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so sorry, Laura that this happened and I hope the horse will be ok. I have had two mares chewed up by dogs in the past and I know first hand the damage they can do.

Dogs are not allowed anywhere near my horses. Period! I have a Jack Russell and a Chihuahua and they stay in my fenced yard. I think people are asking for trouble with any dogs allowed to run loose with miniature horses. Guard dogs or otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Laura,

Its awful !!

Your poor horse. Boy, he has a long road to recovery by the looks of those pictures. :no: I bet its really painful.

Thank goodness he was able to hang in there till you got to him and got him to the vet. He is lucky to have you. I am sure he knows how much he is loved. I to appauld you for your decision on the dogs, as painful as it must have been to make such a decision.

I hope its a speedy recovery, we will be thinking of him.

good luck,

Linda Killion

I just don't know what to say, so... Sending wishes for speedy recovery and cyber hugs for you, Mia and the little gelding.
default_pray.gif
:

I am so sorry this happened to you. You ARE doing the right thing. You are actually kinder than I think I would be about the dogs.

I had to give up MY love of a dog when my son, Loren started getting mobile. Tyco never bit Loren, but would growl at him and I just knew it would only be a matter of time before Loren did get bit. Tyco was born in my lap on our way to the vets with his mother and I had him for 6 years. He was truly MY dog. But, harming or threatening to harm others in your family or your other animals is not something you can chance with dogs.

I am so sorry.

Shellie

[SIZE=14pt]Oh Laura....so sad for EVERYONE, Horses dogs and you and your family.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Laura,

I am so very sorry! Hugs and prayers for you and your family.

We will keep Mia's little gelding in our thoughts and prayers.

[SIZE=12pt]I don't know if you all know how much your support means to me right now. This week has been the week from you know where. Even thinking of going to court next week, although I know I have done nothing wrong and didn't start this whole process over again, makes me physically sick. I have lost weight, but I'm able to eat better now that moring sickness is gone and the baby is now moving around and kicking a bit to let me know he/she is doing great and handling everything, even if I can't.[/SIZE]

I feel like the epitome of the saying "God doesn't give you more than you can handle, I just wish he didn't trust me so much". I'm just teetering on the edge of way, way too much.....but I'm crazy in love with my husband, blessed with an amazing daughter and so, so blessed in my friends and family. We'll get through everything, including this, but while it's going on...wow.....

Love to you all, thank you so much....

I am so very sorry that this has happen to you laura. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.

<<HUGS>>

I am so sorry to hear of your plight, but at least you know who the culprits are and can deal with them. At least be greatful for that! We still are not sure if ours have been dealt with or not.

:no: Oh Laura, I am so sorry for what you are going through......as hard as it is you know what you have to do, and you are making the right decision......It is a hard one, because the love you feel for your dogs and to know you have to find them homes or put them down is so very hard.........But this poor little horse didn't ask for the torture he endured.......I pray he will survive and be ok.

I will keep you all in my prayers.

Hang in there, and stay strong........I know it is very emotional right now, but please take care of yourself for the baby's sake!!!! {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

What a terribly sad story, for all involved--the most positive of thoughts and prayers for the recovery of the poor little horse!

Please, let this be an object lesson to all-dogs, ESPECIALLY more than one, should never, EVER, have easy access to miniature horses anytime they are not under direct human supervision.The 'exception' may be properly-trained LGDS;yet even LGDs need a specific kind of upbringing and relationship to the stock they are to guard,which, IMO, most 'lay' people do not really understand how to initiate and continue... and I believe Laura is very correct in realizing that the LGD should NOT have been allowed to intermingle with other, non-LGD dogs-LGDs are supposed to be performing a very specific job, and cannot/will not properly focus on that job with other dogs around that are not performing the same job.) The woman who wrote one of the first books about miniature horses had show quality Danes; had been around the horses for years, yet one day, they attacked the horses. One of the first broodmares I bought had been attacked by her owner's Shepherd-mix, acting alone-the mare had a HUGE piece of her haunch missing; it was only the owner's timely arrival home that likely saved the mare, of around 32", from death....and on, and on, and on. Everyone tends to think that THEIR dog(s)would 'never' do such a thing--but....it happens, and Laura's story is sad proof of that.

Margo

I am so sorry, Laura... :no: all my best wishes and prayers are with you while you are dealing with this difficult situation....

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

Laura, Steve and Mia

I am so sorry, my heart just breaks for you all and the poor horse. My prayers will be

with you all and your horse. I do agree with the others you need to put the dogs down

or make sure they have access to another horse or CHILD.. I would be so scared they

might one day turn on Mia, and hurt her. I have always heard once they have the taste

of blood, they will hurt or kill again and again. If they were mine, I would put them down.

I know it will hurt, beyond words, but you have to think of Mia, and your horses. Mia is such

a precious Child, and I would be so scared they might one day turn on her. So know you

are doing the right thing.

I also hope all goes well with the court hearings. I will keep you all in my prayers, for the

healing, the healing of her horse, and your court hearing.

Hugs and Prayers

Vicky

default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:

What a sad sad situation all the way around.......Wish there was a happy answer to your situation.

:no: MA

Laura I am so very sorry all this has happened to you, it must be almost more than you can bear- but you will, and it will only make your stronger.

Hang in there, you are doing the right thing with Bruno, no-one ever hurt an animal by putting it to sleep humanely- he may not understand but he will be out of harms way and passing him on with no character reference would be wrong- he would be lost in a house, you know that. Set him free to roam wherever he wants, it is the right thing even though it is far from the easiest thing.

If you get a LGD dog again, get one, on it's own, and keep it on it's own- they were never bred nor intended to be in packs- that is the danger.

I have heard of them living happily in pairs, but that was never how the breed was originally kept- they did not even interact with people, just the stock they guarded.

Chin up, Laura, you can get through all this.

We can help.
default_cheekkiss.gif
:

IM SO SORRY ,YOUR FACED WITH ALL THIS RIGHT NOW, ESPECIALLY BEING PREGNANT, I HOPE THAT YOU FIND THE STRENGTH SOMEWERE TO SEE THROUGHIT ALL, THANK GOD YOU WEE HORSE IS OKAY, AND AS TONY SAID, AS PAINFUL AS IT IS, AT LEAST YOU KNOW THE CULPRITS, IT WILL BE A VERY PAINFUL FEW DAYS FOR YOU, BUT THANK GOD AGAIN IT WASNT A CHILD, I THINK YOUVE HAD A WARNING OF WHAT MAY HAVE BEEN A DISASTER, [[[[HUGS]]]] TO YOU , AND I HOPE YOU FIND THE STRENGTH TO GO THROUGH ALL THIS, BUT PLEASE LOOK AFTER YOURSELF YOU DONT WANT ANYTHING ELSE TO BE AT RISK , ITA SUCH A SHAME YOU SEEM TO BE FIGHTING A LOT OF SAD BATTLES.......TAKE CARE,BECAUSE WE CARE
default_wub.png
:

Latest posts

Back