Dog attack, very long & very graphic

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rambles' injuries look really gruesome....he was proably the one wouldn't run away in the first place, and got caught first.

One of my pets turned into a sheep killer, I couldn't believe it the farmer phoned me to come and see, there he was nose deep the in the belly of a sheep he'd killed. I told the farmer to shoot him there and then. He'd killed 2 others and knew this dog was mine. Once they get a kill or taste for blood they are not your treasured pets no longer.

Prayers Ramble recovers.

Good luck to you and your family to overcome this this trauma.

Lil

Laura, my heart is breaking for you. Mia's poor little gelding went thru torture, and I know how heartwrenching this whole thing must be for you. You have been thru so much, and more to go thru with court. But, you are one strong lady, and I know you'll get thru everything OK.

Sending prayers for you, your family and Mia's little gelding. Even sending prayers that you are able to find good homes for your beloved dogs.

Very sad ! It breaks my heart.

Wish you all the best

Anita

Little Texas Miniature Horses

Sulphur Springs TX

Thank you for sharing, that is so heartbreaking. I think you are doing your best by both the horse, the dogs, and Mia. The LGD can't be trusted with stock anymore and wouldn't be happy anywhere else so it is truly kindest to him to do what you're doing, and I agree with rehoming the others somewhere else. It is imperative to break up that pack; I'm afraid I would have started to worry for the horses as soon as they started hunting raccoons. Showing up with blood on them would set off major alarm bells in my head that they had started hunting as a pack and it is one short step from running down one small animal to a slightly larger horse.

My heart is breaking for you that you have had to make a decision like this and deal with court and all the rest of it at a time that should be joyous. My prayers are with you and Ramble and I pray that you find strength and comfort when you most need it. We are here for you.

Leia

omg...I am just speechless! :no:

I just don't even know what to write!
default_crybaby.gif
:

That is just horrible and to just think of how Ramble felt! It makes me hurt!

He's been so brave already. Just with him not even going into shock...and him walking back with you...what heart he has!

I wish you and your family...and of course, Ramble, all the best. It will take some time, but everyone's hearts will heal.

You are doing the right thing with your dogs. I had to put a dog down years ago for (as his doggie psyche said) his progressive aggression. He got worse and worse no matter what and if it's "in them", there's not much you can do. Especially, when they're encouraged by a pack.

I could never trust a dog that has bitten...you just never know. Just take comfort in knowing that your daughter is safe!

Again, my thoughts go out to you.
default_pray.gif
:

:no: Oh Laura....

I'm pretty much speechless, this has to be one of the most horrific things to have happen. It's one thing to have wild dogs that you don't know do something like this, but for pets to be the culprits
default_sad.png
...my heart is aching for you and for Ramble. He has a long road ahead to heal and you will have to say goodbye to your beloved dogs. There aren't really sufficient words to convey my sorrow....please just know my thoughts are with you.

:new_shocked: OMG Laura, I am soooo very sorry this has happened. Hoe scary to know the dogs we buy to PROTECT our horses, can become so savage as to do something like this. I am so sorry. :no:

Goodness gracious! I'm so sorry this has happened Laura. Your little Mia sounds to be such a strong little girl already, just like her mom.
default_wub.png
: Lifting Ramble, Mia and all of you in heart and prayers.

I'm so sorry, what an awful thing to endure. We've had a problem this year with our dogs too - and have been able to keep them separated, but it may come to the same end you have reached with yours. I sympathize with your decisions, and hope your gelding recovers.

Jan

This is just terrible Laura, I hope and Pray that ramble makes a full recovery =( What a terible decision you have had to make, I really feel for you. I like you would never think of my dogs doing something like this but I guess you never know... Makes me watch mine much more carefully now.....

Kylie

Hugs from across the pond.... Australia....

Hi Laura

You poor thing. This is absolutely horrible for you to have to go thru - as well as your darling little horse. My thoughts are with you - I keep thinking how relieved your horse must have been when he saw you coming up to help him. What a brave soul he is, to cause no fuss after all he has been thru. I truly hope that everything works out and yes, it is hard to have to find your dogs new homes - because they too are your babies - who just happened to have a bad lapse. Best regards, Kerrie

Laura,

I am so sorry to learn of such a terrible attack and understand the heartbreak and you are going through. I pray that your boy will heal. It one set of emotions when such an attack occurs from unknown dogs, and another when it is your own.

Laura - my prayers to you, Mia, your gelding and the dogs.

What tough, yet courageous decisions you have had to make...hope everyone can heal after this event.

Denise

Silversong Farm

I hope
default_unsure.png
:
default_wub.png
: all is going well now. I hope all your animals are doing swell.
default_pray.gif
:

Laura,

It's been a very long time since I've talked to you and I just HATE to hear about your poor little gelding. I recently thought long and hard about getting some LGD's for some other property my mom just purchased. It is chain-link fenced (6 ft. tall) but I suppose if something was persistent enough, it could eventually dig under. This land is only located a mile away from me, but I had this thought of do you really want to put dogs in with your horses? I decided against it...and thankfull after seeing what you are going thru that I have. They are wonderful dogs...I have seen them do absolutely amazing and actually life-saving things for the animals that they care for and live with. But any dog is a predatory animal to some extent and especially when the pack instinct kicks in...who knows what can happen? I have 3 amazing working dogs here, they love the horses and know them well...but they are not allowed in any stall, run, or pasture unless one of us is with them. Two of them I know could hurt them if they ever were inclined to, the other one would probably lick them to death. But even she could do some major damage if all the circumstances were just right. I cannot imagine how hard it is to watch that little gelding fight his way through this nor how hard it was to have to let go of part of your family (the dogs). THANK YOU for posting such a difficult thing so that we can re-evaluate some of the things we might have gotten to comfortable with or were contemplating ourselves.

A few years ago we had a beautiful little mare that we had almost sold for some pretty good money...she was pretty far along in foal and very tiny. We had some neighbors move in to a rent house next door and brought two dogs with them. One was a doberman mix and one was a chihuahua mix that could not have weighed more than 15 or 20 lbs. They kept digging at the chainlink and I would constantly complain, as they were not supposed to have dogs in the first place (because of prior dog problems from previous renters and causing problems for our horses)...the owner of the property said he simply would not allow any more dogs there. The people were very nice that moved in and I told them the day I first saw the dogs I had a problem with it and why. It took them only a couple of days to start digging at the fence. I again talked to the lady that owned the dogs, which she chained the big dog up. Two days later the little dog was in our pasture and I hate to say it, but I let my dogs have at him. They scared him pretty bad, and I was hoping bad enough that he would think more than twice before trying that again. I have to say as a former dog trainer and working with problem dogs a lot...I am not a big fan of keeping dogs on chains...so I felt AWFUL for this poor big dog being chained up on MY account. Just a few days later I got a call about 4am from another neighbor that said my horses were running frantically and I better get out there. I took off and in a pature with about 40 PREGNANT mares are these 2 dogs. I was furious! I called the doberman mix and she came right to me and I locked her in a stall. The little dog was still at it and NOT going to quit. I then happened to see that one little pregnant mare staggering with big hunks of flesh hanging off her belly and just like your gelding, her tail and anus was gone, as well as large pieces of flesh on her hips. Her back legs were chewed to the bone in some places. It was awful. I ran all the mares into the hallway of the barn and locked them there. The little dog was so enraged by that time that he was running and snapping at me as I was trying to get him locked up somewhere. I was so mad I went in and got a gun and did something I thought I could never, ever do. Weird thing was...the doberman was scared to death and this little thing was trying to bite me, my dogs, anything that came near him. I knew I should have shot the doberman as well but I put her in the trailer, called the Sheriff, and had them do it. The mare did survive, although, just barely. She looked awful afterwards with her 2 inch tail, and all her scars. Never was able to have babies, we never tried, and certainly wasn't able to sell her. We finally gave her to a little girl that wanted a little horse to love on. I figured that little mare had way more that earned that much. It took over $2k to save, not to mention what she was worth, and all the pain she suffered. Bless her heart, she never was scared of my dogs, but they were the only ones she trusted. We lost several babies from the other mares due to the utter exhaustion and detached placentas. They endured being chased and chewed on for who knows how long that night. Some mares couldn't even walk the next day they were sooooo tired. We had several mares that had bite marks and lots of tail hair pulled out, but nothing to the extreme of the injuries of that little mare.

I hope and pray your little horse makes it. I cant imagine what I would do or how I would feel if my own dogs were responsible. I love dogs and would be lost without one by me at all times. We are all pulling for you, your daughter, and that brave little gelding. Please keep us all posted...and again thank you for posting something that had to be so extremely difficult.

All My Best,

Bobbi Kay Bowen

Star Struck Miniatures & American Shetlands

www.StarStruckMiniatures.com

Laura, I have been thinking about this for the past 2 days I feel so bad for you and everything you are going thru. We all would love to believe our innocent house dogs would never hurt our horses, but when they group together there instincts really do take over. We have 2 labs which are our house dogs, our dogs know the barn and pastures are off limits. We keep donkeys in with our minis and they have done a great job at keeping everything out of there pasture, including the barn cats who just seem to be passing thru back to the barn! I am hoping for the best for Ramble. (((Hugs))) to you and Mia. Corinne

Laura, I am so very sorry the little guy had to go through that as well as all of you. I hope he avoids infection and recovers without any further problems.

Debi

Laura

Any updates on Ramble, I have been watching the forum looking. Hoping and

Praying he is healing and doing good.

Vicky

OMG... wow.... I'm so sorry for you, your family, your horse, and your dogs. I do know how you feel with the dogs... two of mine shared a professionally installed chain link fence line with 3 Nigerian Dwarf Goats, and they broke through and killed two of my sweet babies (the goats, they were young but not real young, close to adult height). I know they must have been playing, chasing, and it got out of hand, because they didn't touch my third goat, Twix. He had an injury that prevented him from moving well (he was lame), so he wasn't fun to chase... These dogs can be totally trusted with my 8 cats, they show no interest in them, don't chase them, ect... Same with the horses... though these two dogs are never with any animal but each other when I'm not there wtih them, that's for sure!

I was going to take the dogs to my vet and have him find them homes or put them down, but my hubby wouldn't let me, told me to wait and think... I'm glad I did, I still have the dogs and love them... though it took TIME to not feel bad towards them, and to... not forgive, but... move on, I guess? Twix was moved where they can't get to him, and has Reeces now, a new goat friend... I do think Twix being totally unharmed helped my dogs stay here!

However, I certainly don't htink rehoming your dogs is a bad idea at all. I was lucky to be able to change things around so it won't happen again, but sounds like it isn't possible with you. Even if it was/is, certainly you can NOT be blamed if you don't want these dogs around, no matter if you still love them!

Anyhow, HUGS to you, and you and your poor horse are in my thoughts!

Jessica

Laura -

When I got home yesterday at lunchtime to feed my horses, my neighbor came running over to tell me there was a loose dog in my backyard (where my horses are kept). My stomach dropped, thinking of course what you're going through.

Luckily nothing bad had happened and I was able to remove the dog.

Please let us know how Ramble is doing, and how you're doing...

Liz R.

Latest posts

Back