Does your mini have "temper tantrums" or "pouts"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read most of these posts and what goes through my mind is.....I can't believe you all put up with this behavior.
default_new_shocked.gif
default_no.gif

Dan, that's for sure! Polly just wants to be next to me all the time! She's SO loving! She goes off and pouts if I pet anyone else!
default_rolleyes.gif

I love her SO much!

In my mare's case, all she does is want me to love on her and pouts if I pet anyone else.

Yes she does rear in place while we're feeding the others but she stops when we start walking in her direction. She doesn't do it when we're near, just while she's waiting. We have begun correcting her, we don't sit there and call her cute.

She reared when we first got her but stopped doing it through my fixing that. Now she's started it again. Correcting behaviour wasn't what this thread was about, only the pouting part. So that's what I posted about.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL Reo, my Poly rears too! Really its only when she doesn't get turned out first, and she almost paws holes thru her rubber mats when I'm preparing her grain (But she always only uses her one leg, so her one hoof is always shorter than the other)but other than that shes just a hot headed primaddona (sp?) but is really a sweet heart
default_wub.png

Dan.

Most of ours don't get pouty, though a few of them are good at giving wounded looks when something offends them. The only one that really has tantrums is Secret, and she has been a prima dona since she was born. She was our early Feb. foal that had to spend her first two nights in the house because it was so cold outside. She was precocious right from the moment I brought her into the house. Then when she did move back outside she was blanketed, and we changed her blankets morning and night, so she got used to lots of attention and scratches at blanket changing time.

Later she got so she expected attention when I was out cleaning sheds....if I ignored her she would fling herself down & roll over & cast herself against the wall....guaranteed to bring "mom" to roll her back away from the wall. Then she'd come & fling herself down beside me & roll against me so that I'd scratch her tummy.... If she didn't like something I was doing with her (clipping her legs for instance, that TICKLES) she would lie down so I couldn't do it. All kind of cute & not big deal, except...

usually when I trim feet my mom holds the horses. Most of them are also fine with being tied while I trim, if I'm trimming alone. Secret though...the one day I was trimming feet & had her tied to a fence post. She didn't appreciate the post in place of a person who would talk to her. So, as I was trying to trim her feet she kept trying to lie down. She got to the point where she wouldn't just sink down, she'd fling herself to the ground, practically landing on her back with her feet in the air. She'd lay there real still until I said fine, I'll trim them this way then...then she started flailing her legs as if to say "I dare you to try!" It really was quite funny. She finally gave it up when I pointed out to her that I was NOT AMUSED by her antics. I've never seen anything quite like it in any horse before--thankfully!
default_laugh.png

RhineStone said:
I've read most of these posts and what goes through my mind is.....I can't believe you all put up with this behavior.
default_new_shocked.gif
default_no.gif
To each their own, Myrna. I personally enjoy having horses so eager to work that they get jealous when you take out someone else!
default_biggrin.png

Leia

Latest posts

Back