Does she look in foal ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With that edema in front of her udder I would say that you will be welcoming a new baby before too long! Would like to see the udder itself fill a little more first though!

Good luck!!

I had a mare who delivered on day 365 every time she was bred, like clockwork. The first year with her was a mare-stare from 'you know where' as I kept watching and waiting and watching and waiting and sleeping in the stall for seemingly months! Then on day 365 she produced the cutest little filly for me. Year two, I kept expecting that baby to arrive, and when after 3 weeks I was going crazy, I went back and checked my records, found she'd foaled the year before on day 365 so I took a break. Slept in the barn on day 364 and low and behold -- the next filly was born on day 365. After that, it was a no-brainer. I never got anxious until the last few days....360-365. Went on for several years, until I sold her.

A friend had bought her and she called me worrying because she hadn't foaled yet. I told her the history which made her a bit calmer....and on day 365 she foaled a colt.

So, I'm one that realizes they can go q-u-i-t-e a while before they show these little ones to us! LOL

It may be the camera of course, but I do think that there is a small change beween the first and last pics on this page?? I suggest that you keep an eye on her but dont take daily pictures - it is really too difficult to see any possible changes when viewed on a daily basis. Leave 4 or even 5 days between pictures - and dont forget to include a full-on side one and one from directly behind her, both taken down at her level and not from a standing position - then any changes should be esier to see.
default_yes.gif

I am wondering now if she is in foal
default_sad.png
I was sure hoping she was but she hasn't changed much

The nail test says she is bred has anyone had nail test be wrong about a mare in foal I hadn't had the nail test be wrong about a mare in foal just wrong on sex of the foal

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always found the nail test to be correct (correct also with the sex), but I still take it with a pinch of salt!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
default_yes.gif

gorgeous mare! hmmm I'm sitting on the fence with your pretty girl, I have been fooled a few to many times LOL

both my mares have edemas at present (but they are both just fat!! well my mini pony mare is 30 days in foal so I don't think that counts lol.)

I hope she is in foal. are you able to get her tested at all? I am lucky to have three great equine vets within an hours distance but I know quite a few of you in america don't have any nearby at all
default_sad.png
hoping she is in foal for you... fingers crossed!

To be honest Melissa, I think it is the last picture that makes her look possibly pregnant - just something about her shape - on the other hand she could just be tubby and sassy!! I have re-read your original posts and have a question - when did you remove the stallion? Not when did you see her covered, but when he was actually moved? Oh and I know that she is a maiden mare but did you give us her age?

Still keeping my fingers crossed for you!

I agree, hard to tell. Altho some of her photos her bum and shoulders look chunky so she might be just a cute little fattie.

She has me quite confused. Sometimes I say yes, pregnant. The next time I scratch my head.....

I had a mare who did this to me right up until she dropped that baby on the ground!! She was my only experience with 'is she....no she isn't.....yes she is....and the day before she foaled I decided she wasn't. She had absolutely NO udder development at all, but had a full udder within minutes of foaling.

Back