Does anyone live near Tyler or Winnsboro, TX?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Taylor Jo

As you know my house has been up for sale cause it's 3500 square ft and I have this HUGE basement and right now my electric bill is running me about 400 a mth and that's having the basement closed off. I'm considering here where I live but there at set backs with it, one it's VERY far and few between to find a place with land & a barn. We got lucky here and it wasn't a barn it was a work shop. I could get one built but it would probably be more costly then buying one that's already up. Two, I have my step daughter here and she comes over periodically and does an assessment of everything then goes and tells everyone. It's like whatever!!!!! She went and told every one in the family I bought a "NEW" horse trailer. Another family member called and said; "I hear you've got a "new" horse trailer. I said that's news to me. I bought a 2004 trailer, but not a NEW trailer.....

Anyway.... Another plus side of moving down there is it's warmer. I HATE the cold and I could go for a little bit warmer weather. Two everything I look at in my price range is having a barn on it and that's a good thing. Three, I'd be closer to my family and friends and I could do a lot of the moving myself. I'm NOT set on it yet, I HAVE TO LOOK and see about it. I've been looking at different area's around. I had considered Arkansas but decided their weather is no better then ours and they're prices are just about the same as ours, plus they have the same problem as we do about barns. You'd think here in the country EVERYONE would have a barn and when I say barn I mean a 40x50 barn, not a dinky barn that I can't fit more then 2 horses in, LOL!!!!!!

My question is do you like it there, what are the positives what are the negatives? If you had to do it again would you move there? Do you get tornado's in the area, if so how many would you say? Can't probably be any worse then here. I LIVE in tornado ALLEY..... During the season I spend more time in my safe room I swear then I do out of it.

Anything else you can think to tell me would be appreciated. Thanks all, TJ

Last edited:
I'm located in Quitman. It's N of Tyler and S of Winnsboro and I love it here! If you need an agent who will actualy listens to what you want and who will stand up for her clients PM me and I will give you the info for the WONDERFUL lady that I used!!!

default_saludando.gif

Taylor Jo why not come to Oklahoma where there is a lot of mini folk. Property is reasonable and if you had to build a barn prices are not bad. Yes this is tornado alley but I've lived here all my life and have had some near misses (miles away) but I know you don't like the alley. Lots of shows (A and R) close by.

My husband and I spent our first two married months in Winnsboro, Texas. The town is absolutely charming. Loved the neighbors, the preacher, the Christmas parade, the lakes, the hardware store/soda fountain, and some of the plain ole Mayberry demographics. But let me ask you this--will you be looking for work?? Because you are not going to find it there. So you might want to work in Tyler and live in Winnsboro. That was in 2003. Lots of chapters have been written in our lives since then but Winnsboro holds some bittersweet/mostly sweet memories. Don't discount Oklahoma though if you are looking to buy property. It really depends on your income, whether you are a warm weather or cold weather person. And of course if you move south you will be dealing with humidity, heat, and mosqitoes. I was lucky enough to live in NW Arkansas from 1998-2004 with the exception of the Winnsboro stint. Being back in NE Texas allbeit a different part since 2005 I can honestly say come retirement day we are headed west or northwest to enjoy clear running streams,mountains, and cooler temperatures. There are a couple of websites that can help you find what you are looking for in a hometown. Findyourspot and city-data are both wonderful. They are both very informative. City-data lets you pick size, median income, median home price, racial percentages, etc. while Findyourspot will tell you 30 towns that suit your interests. According to Findyourspot I should be in Tennessee! Good luck. Pray for guidance and expect to receive it.

Thanks for the good information. Yea I'm going to go back to work. I have a real estate agent I'm seeing Sunday to give me an idea of the area so she'll know what I'm looking for so she can keep her eyes open for me. I figured I'd stay within a 30 min radius of Winnsboro around that area. I'm really excited. God has been opening some doors so we shall see if he opens it I'll walk through it if not the door will close. One BIG positive thing about moving there is I can use my nursing license in TX and I can't use it here in Mo cause of the type of license I have from Ca. So it's in Gods hands. I LIKE THE HEAT. I lived almost 20 years in the desert of Southern CA so I know what heat is, i HATE the cold..... I really don't want to go too OK cause I really don't know anyone there, in Tx I do so I feel more at home there. I'll let you know when I get back how it turns out.

TJ

I'm about 30 miles west of Tyler. This is beautiful country, the weather is hot in the summer but winters are great-no snow! Lots of miniature horse farms in this area. We also have great miniature horse vets in the area. Also Stacies husband is a farrier and is excellent with the minis.

Tornadoes just went through this area this week, right???????

default_yes.gif
Nursing license? Then you will be fine since you have a sought after skill to offer! There is not a hospital around that is not hiring. Tyler and lots of small towns as well. And one of the best vets you could ever hope for is right in Winnsboro. Dr. Howton in Winnsboro performed the c-section that saved my little mare. That part of NE Texas is a diamond for country loving folks! Good for you! Sometimes you just gotta grab the bull by the horns. Nothing ventured...nothing gained. Hope good things are coming your way. Toughest part will be deciding which town. Lots of choices there for someone looking for a rural setting.

Yes tornadoes did go right thru us Wednesday but then again they happen all over Texas all year long. It's just one of those things you learn to live with.

Back