Does any one have a "mini-van" for hauling horses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horse-A-Holic

Reaction score
My hubby found a screaming deal on a mini van with the cargo area instead of passenger seats in the back. He is going to turn it into my mini-hauler, literally.

All it needs is a permanent, fold up, ramp attached, and a few "safety" measures on the interior.

It all ready came with the rubber floor, and has a "safety" divider separating the driver area from the cargo area. I want to add ties and a padded type ceiling liner, and we will be ready to go any where!

The minis all loaded into it just fine, it looks like I could comfortably haul two for sure, probably even three if need be.

He is also going to design some thing that will let me load up and haul my cart on the roof, all by myself.

I know it might be strange to some people, but I am very excited about it. As it is now I have to depend on my husband to take me and the horses any place. I just will never be comfortable pulling our big horse trailer behind our full size pickup! (we also have riding horses)

This will allow me the freedom to load up (minis) and head out any time I want to, all by myself!

And it will get a lot better gas mileage too.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Has any body out there all ready done this? How has it worked for you?
default_unsure.png

Yup this is Dan's van which I used on more than one occasion to haul a horse. No need for any special ramp. They get on and jump off easily. I just threw a rubber mat in there and good to go.

In hindsight we should have kept it and that would have solved a lot of hauling problems here. I would have just built a simple divider between the seats and the horses and maybe a place to tie them up. Great on gas, safe as can be. Go for it.

thDanvan.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If we only need to pick up or drop off one or two horses I use one of our freight vans. They're wonderful! I love that I can turn around and see the horses through the divider, and that I could jump back there in a pinch if there was an emergency (though there never has been).

It is something to be excited about! We used our E-150 cargo van to bring a colt home and LOVED it. The divider and rubber floor is awesome. The cage divider was great to protect the horse, driver, and passenger. The pine-pellet bedding we used was also excellent. My only recommendation would be either a POLL BUMPER for your horse, or what you previously mentioned (a padded roof). A tight lead through the divider is important to prevent the horse from getting too rambunctious. I also liked that I could see him, talk to him, and soothe him when upset.

I think it sounds awesome - and I am jealous! I was just wishing I had something like that as I am getting ready to haul the big trailer out of state this weekend to pick up my new boy - which I am totally excited about!! But I got to thinking that that is a lot of steel to be hauling for one small boy. You won't even be able to tell there is anything in the trailer!

I would love to see pictures!

Barbara

I'm excited for you.. it sounds like to best idea for the littles and the safest. ou don't have to worry about a trailer swaying in bad weather. I've been looking for a trailer for a while now and am almost pulling my hair out, your route sounds so much easier.

Post pictures.

default_laugh.png
Wow, thank you for all the positive comments, and suggestions!

I figured with as practical as it is, there would be others out there doing the same thing...

I am a little bummed though. My hubby is extremely busy right now with a lot of things, so my mini-van will have to be put on the back burner for a little while.
default_no.gif

I think though, that I might be able to use it right now anyway from some of your comments.

(MARTY) "Yup this is Dan's van which I used on more than one occasion to haul a horse. No need for any special ramp. They get on and jump off easily. I just threw a rubber mat in there and good to go."

Do you know, or can you guesstimate how many inches off the ground the back floor of that van was?

(Tab) POLL BUMPER...

I am really wanting to do a nice padded, finished, ceiling, but poll bumpers would be a really good solution until then! Does any one know where I can by them miniature sized? So far all I am finding are for full size horses?

That would take care of two of the three items that need done. If I could get him to make my cart "loader", I would be set to go, and then when he has the time we could tackle the ramp and ceiling.

It might be a bit, but I will do an updated post with photos as soon as I can!

Latest posts

Back