Documentation for breeding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesper

Reaction score
Friend of mine told me she was asked to take picture of the breeding itself as proof that it was the correct stallion on the mare, so she had to capture them in the act and send the pictures to the owner as the mare as proof.

The foal will then later be DNA tested as the final proof, but have you ever been asked that? I found it a bit unusual when I heard it and so did she.

Jesper

It is quite common for breeding farms to videotape the breedings for proof for the mare owner and the stallion owner/farm.

I have actually heard of that (this is a case of a mare owner sending her mare to an outside stallion for breeding) to verify that the mare is being covered by the correct stallion. This is not a requirement by a Registry, but just proof for a mare owner to paid a good stud fee and is concerned about having the mare actually bred to the stallion they selected and paid for.

Andrea

Never heard of that but I think it is an excellent idea. I know of some people whose mares did not get in foal & it was not their mares fault. There is too much money & time involved in sending your mare to a farm for it to only come home open because the mare came in at an inconvenient time.

If both parents are DNA'd, and the foal will be, I don't quite see why this would be necessary. Of course, in the registry that doesn't require DNA, there might be more reason to think you'd need this. For myself--I wouldn't be sending a mare out to a breeder unless I knew them well, and/or had good references as to how they do business(which would include breeding a mare to the correct stallion!)

Well..thats fine and dandy..so we know the stallion covered her..BUT did she take ..do you record ALL breedings? What if she bred 5 days to "THE" stallion and breeds the 6th day through the fence and takes??

I think there is some trust involved.

Well..thats fine and dandy..so we know the stallion covered her..BUT did she take ..do you record ALL breedings? What if she bred 5 days to "THE" stallion and breeds the 6th day through the fence and takes??

I think there is some trust involved.
True there is always trust, but the stallion owner have no reason to mix the stallions on the same mare, but some DO cheat with the stallions on the mares (don't ask why, I don't see where they benefit from it) so that the correct stallion is breeding the mare would in 99.9% of the cases mean that he was the only stallion on her and that it is the correct one.

It will of course be finally proven later on by DNA.

I found out that one of the causes for having proof of it is that the stallion owner "forgets" to send in the documentation to the registry and the foal therefor doesn't exist, and then the mareowner can prove that the breeding did happen. Must admit I have heard of many cases where the stallionowner "forgot" those papers and then the foal can't get registered without any proof.

aah added question:

Do any of you videotape it? For what reasons?

Can be reached on PM too if you want to keep your answer private for whatever reasons.

Jesper

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure my neighbors see more than they want to sometimes and to see me videotaping breeding might get the authorities called in! :eek:

I'm sure my neighbors see more than they want to sometimes and to see me videotaping breeding might get the authorities called in! :eek:
uhm lol why would they call the authorities? hahaha nothing illegal in that I presume?

but if we talk about sheet cleaning, then the neighbors can get REALLY big eyes :new_shocked: and drop their jaws hehe, but I doubt anyone film that anyways haha, ooh boy I still remember the thread on that topic, was hillarious hehe

Jesper

The thing is it proves NOTHING, only that the owners do not trust enough or want a weird picture!!! All it proves is the stallion mounted the mare.

Does not prove anything happened and does not prove the mare was not taken away and subsequently bred fifteen times by the Donkey next door.

Not something I would ever do as there is no point.

If they want proof the only proof they would get from me is DNA testing- that proves almost everything.
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back