Do your pregnant mares lie around a lot more than normal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chelley

Reaction score
Just wondering if you notice that your pregnant mares seem to lie down more often then non-pregnant horses. I feel paranoid-not had a lot of pregnant horses and this is the first full-sized pregnant horse we have had. She seems okay, eating normally etc, going to her water, the minerals and salt as normal, and when I see her lying down she is not rolling but I have just noticed her lying around it seems quite a bit more often...maybe I am just focusing on it too much now, but just wanted to see if this seems normal for a mare bred very first of June this year. I know when I was pregnant I was always much more tired-is this the same for horse?? Thanks!

Some of my pregos do like to lay down more but usually its in the last month or so of pregnancy. Does she show any soreness/heat or pulsing in her feet? Ask your farrier to check her feet real good because shes lying down alot more than normal. I would guess he/she will also do a founder test (pinch test?). If that shows nothing then I would just watch her.

Latest posts

Back