Do you turn out your Minis on wet/cold days????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also do try and encourage Halo to go under shelter, by putting her hay under it. I read, in that article the other day, that bathing, isn't a good thing, for the rainy season anyway, as it takes the oils off the outer layer. So thank goodness, it is just too cold to bathe anyway. But I notice, depending on the temps, on if Halo's coat is fluffed out more, or is laying down a bit. She has such a thick one, already. Where she is boarded, they have Arabians. Beautiful ones, but they sure don't get the coat that a mini does. They wanted me to bring a blanket and start blanketing Halo. This was probably back at the beginning of Oct. and I told the lady to wait, that Halo gets really bushy...so bushy she won't look like a horse anymore, but will look like a bear. LOL And Halo is doing fine. Staying nice and warm, so I'm not worried about her. She will have frost on the outer layer, some mornings, but if I pet her and feel down to her skin, she is so warm. God knew what He was doing, when he gave them their winter woolies.
default_yes.gif

My horses have the option to come and go from about 5Am to 5PM (au natural) then are stalled through the night. They seem do rather well with that. I have noticed that they seem to deal with the cold much better than the heat.

My horses have the option to come and go from about 5Am to 5PM (au natural) then are stalled through the night. They seem do rather well with that. I have noticed that they seem to deal with the cold much better than the heat.
Prezactly what we do. Mostly for predator protection - if it is dark, they are in their stalls happily munching. Doing their best wooly buffalo or goat impressions. If it is bitter cold I will block the barn windows, it ends up rather comfy in there by morning even when subzero.

The rest of the time, rain or shine, snow or sun, they are out but have the option to stand in their open stalls. Which, they do, frequently, throughout the day. I built the roof so it has an overhang over the stall doors and they often stand there as well.

When I was a kid, we would keep in the mares inside in the cold, but that was Kentucky (icy bone chilling cold in the humidity), they were Thoroughbreds, and dad was old school. Something about letting Thoroughbreds get wooly just didn't agree with him... ;-) They would get extra oats and grain then - something I would probably not do with minis.

Last edited by a moderator:
My horses were stalled at night and my one girl, Lexus (RIP), needed a blanket once the temps dipped below 0C (she would actively, violently shiver without a heavy blanket); she was made for Florida temps., not Canada lol (her "winter" coat was akin to a Thoroughbred's winter coat). So...yes, all three were in during windy, cold, wet weather. Definitely.

Actually, grooming a horse that has a full, lush winter coat will actually make it's coat less effective at protecting the horse. They roll for a reason. They itch, and they coat themselves with dirt, which DOES help protect them. Brushing removes some of the natural oils that make their hair wick off rain. Look at the pictures in the article that was cited on page 1 of this thread. If they have been wet, rolling will loosen up the 'fluff' of their hair. Everyone really needs to read the entire article that was cited earlier. It really is well done. Oh, and it is NOT grain that keeps a horse warm on those cold nights. All that the extra grain does is make them fat. Digesting extra roughage (hay) is what will keep them warm.

I second everything Jean said.

We provide a variety of shelters -- overhead and side protection from rain and wind to well-positioned, dense fir trees -- but we let the horses choose what is best for them. Typically, they opt for the most open shelter.

If rain were bad for horses, we wouldn't have so many happy, healthy horses here in Oregon, where it almost always rains.

Most of the time our horses are out. In the coldest part of the winter they stay in at night. If its really windy in the winter during the day which is rare they stay in. But usually stay out in the rain and snow. We don't blanket either. Two of our stallions have run ins and they usually prefer to get wet. I've noticed thats the case with most horses though if they have the choice they will usually stay outside but its always good for them to have the option to go in if they want to

Oh, and it is NOT grain that keeps a horse warm on those cold nights. All that the extra grain does is make them fat. Digesting extra roughage (hay) is what will keep them warm.
I don't disagree with you (and I don't feed grain, I feed Purina Mini Horse and Pony)... but you will have to argue your position with my dad in the hereafter.

You might have better luck with him than I ever did...

It's been said, if you have 6 horse people in a room you will have 12 opinions on a topic and they are ALL the God's truth...
default_yes.gif
default_whistling.gif

I know when to change the topic with my stepmom. Anything regarding veterinarians, founder, etc... Fortunately she is as distractible as the dogs in Up.

Squirrel!

She still thinks I am crazy for getting into minis. I just "wasn't raised right..." She is stuck on the Shetland prejudice.

She has never met Legend...

Our horses are out from 7am-7pm every day with access to shelter no blankets here

They are stalled every night

But when it rains in the winter we keep them in their stalls 24/7 - we let them out in the barn aisle as we clean stalls

to stretch their legs and get out of our way..lol

our barn aisles are horse proof as we use them for lean toos when they are out

so we spoil our horses with wet weather in the winter, I know it's not necessary but I don't like them wet in the winter when they go in their stalls at night

they are out in the rain in the summer

Wow!! Thank you for all of your replies and all the GREAT advice!!! The article was very informative, thanks for posting it for me to read and learn from! I will only use the blankets if really necessary such if one of my horses is shivering or sick, which I pray never happens! But I am still happy I purchased them to have just in case. I think I will continue to leave their stall door open on rainy/cold days so if they want to go in for shelter they can. They will be called in at dark which is what I have been doing since I got them last year. We built the barn just for them and I think they like being in there at night. Our little barn is very functional and we just put in electric this past summer so I leave the light on until about 7-8pm then when I go out to check on them it is lights out time for bed!!!!!! Lol

I have learned a lot from all of you about their woolly coats and how it protects them from the elements. I guess when I was growing up with the big guys I never worried about this kind of thing my Dad and Uncle made all the decisions as to the horses' care and turning them out and such. I just had fun, riding, grooming and 4H shows!!!

Thanks again I appreciate your help!!

My horses are out all day and in at night. I also do bring them in during bad weather. I like to see them in their nice clean stalls when it's cold and wet out. I am sure they would do fine out too, I just prefer them in.

If coats soak it can cause a chill and colic. If it is above freezing and dry a turnout is fine, even if it's snowing. If it is wet and cold, your best bet is to keep them inside. A chill caused by soaked through fur can cause spasmodic colic. Most horses with turnout and shelters do fine with cold, wet, and snow, but occasionally you will have a dippy that will not have good sense to seek shelter when it rains. It's good to err on the side of caution.

Mine are out year round, regardless. Their coats are insulation and I would never blanket one. Exception would be one that was clipped for an upcoming show. Blanketing them actually results in them not being able to lift the hair coat for insulation, making them colder, so the blanketing is a mute point.

Our horses are all outside 24/7 with access to run in sheds if they want to use them. We have only one mare, one of the Shetlands, that cannot take the extreme cold, and so she does wear a blanket during the cold spells. The others all do fine without blankets, in all sorts of weather.

I learned long ago that brushing a horse in the cold weather is not a good thing--just as Jean said above--and so ours do not get groomed in the winter. When it's 30 below and the wind is blowing, they are better off with whatever dirt and oils they have managed to accumulate in their coats.

We have quite a bit of 'wet' here in the Pacific NW.

Unless it is blowing, as in dangerously windy, they go outdoors each morning.

None of our kids like to be wet especially, so when the worst of the squalls go thru

they run for cover, under the loafing shed roof and come back out from under when

it moderates.

You never have to ask them twice to come in at night. They love their rooms.

In a normal winter (whatever that is) snow, is OK as long as it's not crusted or iced over.

If conditions are potentially dangerous for slipping or falling they stay in their bedrooms

and munch the day away. Snow/ice doesn't tend to last long around here so they

aren't having to stand about in stalls for to long.

My big and little guy stay out 24/7 and have access to shelter if they want it; my big guy is the only one with a blanket, heck he is the only "Horse" who has a blanket lol he doesnt grow much hair

Back