Do you leave Barn Lights on

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run security cameras 24/7 which can do double duty as foaling cameras so yes we have lights on those dusk to dawn lights outside the foaling stalls the barn has a infared( barely any light needed) camera so we are good there

Last edited:
I don't leave any lights on at all. Not only would it mess with the horses' systems but it's a waste of electricity and adds to the light pollution that's such a problem in our world. We do have motion sensor lights all around the property though but those only stay on for ten seconds or so after being turned on. Well different lights are on different timers around the property. For us it's not something I would ever do.

Very interesting...

I left a light on last Winter,, Semi had been clipped in October for the World Show.

She never did get a winter coat that was enough for not wearing a blanket.

It was also a LOT colder, earlier last year.

This year, no lights,, Less blanket time,,, she has grown a pretty nice coat already.

It is also a LOT warmer this year.
default_wacko.png
*shrug*

Also, having had a very sick horse this year, suspected Potomac Horse Fever (tested negative)

It is thought that May flys may be a cause. There was a documented cases of a night light

that attracted these May flys, the sick horses were exposed to them, grazing in that area.

Who knows???? Always something for me to fret about!

I do keep a light on for foaling cameras. They don't seem bothered by it.

I seem to be the only one not getting sleep.

~Sandy

Can I have another turn?

Ok see in foaling, we do have a light on in that stall so we can see the camera or it would be dark and couldn't see anything because I have had a poop foal and a shadow foal and a bucket foal. But the cams are off now so we don't need the light.

Marty,

This line made me crack right up. I too have had a poop foal, shadow foal, straw foal, cat foal, etc. etc. etc...... isn't it funny what our eyes and imagination can do when we are SO sleep deprived?
default_rolleyes.gif
default_wacko.png
default_yes.gif

A radio is on constantly in our barn.

Lights on when we are closer to foaling time and only at the end of the barn where cameras are located.

Motion lights outside on the buildings where people enter doors and 5 tall yard lights.

We have to have a heat coil wrapped around our water pipe in the barn when it gets cold because the water will freeze, so we could never shut off the breaker.

Also the foal buzzer system requires hydro, and the pump on the well requires hydro so losing power is a disaster .

We also have a back up generator system, should power be lost.

Summer and winter in Southwestern Ontario is drastically different
default_yes.gif

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1592/9647...9/276485230.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1592/9647...9/276819659.jpg

I have 4 lights in my barn, one in each corner and then 2 down the isleway. Normally i leave the 2 in the isleway on this time of year. Why?? Because i am a wuss and its dark by the time im done out there at night and its a long walk from the barn to the house
default_smile.png

Here because all the other folks leave radios and lights on (luckly no one close because that would drive me nuts).....the coyotes are so used to them... just like anything else...they no longer work. Also found out, when some folks down the road had the pack of coyotes take out one of their foals...they never heard it because......they kept the radio on loud.

Even with no lights... my mini's still go in one corner of their enclosed shed. Have to remember, it takes them about 10 to 15 mintues to adjust to the dark...but once it is dark they have much, much better vision than we do.
default_biggrin.png

Now if I do have to go outside...we have the lights on the outside of the house to turn on and powerful flash lights.

Plus...(when we do not have clouds that is)..we like to have no light polution because we like to look at the stars and planets. Night sky is beautiful.

Ok my husband says he is gonna put up a rope light in the perimeter of Giddys stall, up high so only alittle light for us to see him...

Thanks for all the postings, some were quite funny!!
default_yes.gif

I only leave a light on during foaling season in the barn except now I have one at my homozygous appaloosa stallion's barn since we have discovered he has CSNB. I always have my rechargeable headlight plugged in for needed emergencies. I use to leave the radio on all night until one night when I came in and it was sounding off for testing and I realized how annoying that must be for the horses. I would like to know what the Christmas rope lights look like if someone could post a link to them somewhere. These sound like something I would like for my foaling stalls.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would if I could, but hubby says NO, but when they are close to foaling definitely YES, we have a camera.

Music Now, Hubby if I said YES would have music all night long in our bedroom, but I say NO but in the barn YES.

I think it keeps other animals away...
default_wacko.png
Turned up in the day and turned down at bedtime.

I have heard that milking cows give more milk with music, hubby and I keep changing the channel on the horses I say they like country he says they like pop...

So every time he or I have been in the barn station gets changed!

I feed morning and he feeds at night
default_whistling.gif
oh well they sure do get a variety...

Last edited by a moderator:
So I am not the only one who has the Christmas light ropes in a stall! My neighbors wonder about me sometimes, but actually it is my husband's idea. My pony cam has night vision, so I really don't need a light to see what is happening in the stalls.

I know if I accidently leave a light on, my hall monitor mini gets irritated because he can not see what is going on outside his stall and the surrounding area.

There is a thread on an other list I am on about horses being sleep deprived. There has been a study that horses can be sleep deprived and that having lights on can contribute to it. Horses have been known to fall when they do not have enough sleep and that it is good for them to be able to lay down and get some good REM sleep. So I would think having a radio on and a light would not let them have a good deep sleep. I know I would not!!!
default_no.gif

No, I don't leave the barn lights on all night. Like Minimor, i'm afraid of a barn fire so I shut them off in the house at the breaker box. The radio is only on when i'm out there.

I also have the Christmas rope lights in one of my stalls, the others have a regular light bulb. I love it in the winter when everybodys tucked in munching hay and there's a soft glow from the lights, it's nice and cozy.

Marty you're not the only one with a night light in the bathroom, lol. Our son took the bathroom one and put it in his room and I was told by my boyfriend that if I didn't get the night light back in the bathroom then there might be a mess in the morning
default_wacko.png

Leslie

Although we do not leave "lights" on in the barns, we do have a night light in every other stall. The only time we leave a light on is when they are getting close to foaling or someone is not feeling well so I can see them on the camera.
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

Ok my husband put up a rope light so the barn is so ROMANTIC!!
default_wub.png
Just kidding!! It is very cozy though. and only a small amount of light..

Thanks

Missy
default_smile.png

i personally am very cautious about barn fires my neighbors barn caught fire once no animals were in it though and a very popular pig farm around here had a barn fire and lost over 200 pigs. so i deffinately keep my barn lights off but like ive said i am very cautious if im out shaving a goat and go back into house for even a minute i will unplug the clippers i would hate to lose everything ive worked for to a spark

Brittanie

We use outside security lights at each end of our barns. I notice in the night when I look out, they tend to sleep in the light's glow. So they must like it, otherwise, they can just walk away into the dark.

My donkeys come up and sleep under the security lights too.

From March to May we leave on lights 24/7 in the foaling barns. Never seems to bother anybody....they sleep and snore like normal.

I must have read the same article as Firecoach. So no lights, no radio - at night. We do have a motion sensor light on the outside. Oh, and in the workshop (seperate area) there's a heat lamp that comes on for the cats.

Latest posts

Back