Do you have to clip?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barefoot

Reaction score
I am excited to see the before and after pics from everyones spring clipping!

This is my first spring with a mini. I know they have a much fuller winter coat than big guys. If you don't show do you have to clip though.

How long does it take for them to shed out?

Emma

The only horses I body clip are the show horses. My mares and anyone not showing get to be au-natural! Spring time when I'm grooming and shedding horses out it always looks like I've killed something! I have a new shedding tool "the furminator" that I can't wait to try!
default_biggrin.png
I do clip bridle paths and muzzles just so my girls look pretty!

Oh good, I do enjoy all the brushing in the spring. Relaxing.\

I guess I should'nt have said "If you just have a pet" . I know they aren't just pets.
default_wub.png
And the clipped ones are pets too.
default_blush.png

I clip my mares and pets. It helps them to stop rubbing and get thier summer coat in. If not, they get miserable in the heat when they still have their coat on.
default_smile.png

I dont show and we never used to clip but last year we did clip some as it just helped to keep them cooler and to shed out better after the winter
default_smile.png
So it is just personal preference.

You'll be REAL relaxed if you like brushing, LOL. You don't have to clip, but it sure makes for alot less hairy laundry.

I don't show my horses, but I love clipping them in the spring. I like to think that the more your horses experience the better well rounded they are.

I've never clipped out Bailey, but I did have Willow's baby coat clipped out as it was so thick and we are in the middle of summer. She was feeling the heat and really suffering.

Just be careful of sunburn once they are clipped out. Poor Willow ended up with a sunburnt back and I feel so bad.

Dont put yourself through it if you dont have to
default_smile.png
. I normaly enjoy clipping the first few horses, then after the first show it gets a little
default_wacko.png
. I do not clip anyone here that isnt showing, they normally shed out pretty fast. If you want to clip and your in a warmer area take a shot at it.

Have fun
default_saludando.gif

Our weather gets really wild in the spring; 75-80 one day, 35-40 the next. Some days they are sweating and the next they are comfortable, so I usually end up at least clipping the head/neck on my minis so they are more comfortable. I have one mare, coming 5, that sheds out very nicely on her own, so I've never done more than clip her bridle path, but this year I may clip her head some (she has really long hairs on the underside of her head).

Totally depends. My Egyptian King mare gets a bit of fluff for a winter coat and sheds out very nicely; last year I just trimmed off her "goat" beard. Now...my yearling is another story. I clipped her in May and she grew the thickest, fluffiest coat I've ever seen by about August/September. It was crazy. Now her coat is coming out in clumps; I swear I got enough "fur" -it looks more like fur than horse/pony "hair"- to make two sweaters. So...we'll see, come Spring, if she'll have shed out enough or not to warrant not clipping. My colt is in between the two. Loooong story short, it depends.

I've never clipped my "pet" mini, although I have wondered if it would be more comfortable for her. This winter she has put on a heavier coat than the past two winters, so I'm wondering if I should clip this year - unlike you, relaxing is not the word I would use to describe getting fully covered in shedding hair.
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back