Do thinning knifes work for mane?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a pair of thinning shears (scissors) that I have occasionally used on a couple of horses with extremely thick manes. I flip the mane and thin the underside only being careful to thin up close to the neck and not all the way thro the mane so that when I flip it back to its normal side the top hair of the mane is untouched and not different lengths. I have found it to be very helpful in getting the mane to lay down nicely. I would advise you tho to take it a little at a time so you don't remove too much. You can always go back and take a bit more out but you can not put it back.

No, not really I use this....

Mikki_Coat_Controller_Thins_Strips_and_Dematts__29159.1337266870.300.300.jpg
It gives the same result as pulling a mane- anything you use that cuts the hair will produce uneven, "Mohican" like grow back.

Hmm. What I've always done is take a metal comb, backcomb the mane, twirl the hairs around the comb, then yank close to the neck.
default_smile.png
I've never had a horse be bothered by it.

That's pulling, and it tends to take a while, plus which I have had quite a few, both little and large, object, in one case dangerously so. I was still able to "pull" her mane (and she was a brick outhouse of a 14.2hh ) without objection with my "contraption"

anything you use that cuts the hair will produce uneven, "Mohican" like grow back.
Using the shears as I do on the underside of the mane I have never had an issue with the different lengths of hair growing a Mohawk hairstyle even when left unthinned for an entire fall/winter (I actually only thin once a year, in spring with that first clip). In response to the OP the knife should work but my advise is go slow, do as little as possible at a time and see for yourself if you like the results. The first time I used thinning shears (scissors to me) I had a horse who's mane had never had a bridle path clipped into it so I 'thinned' the part I was planning to remove anyway so if I messed up or just hated the result it didn't matter as that hair was destined to fall to the clippers anyway. I will now even thin the bushy forelocks on some using the shears on the underside a little before under clipping it. The scissor type of thinning tool may make it easier to take smaller amounts since it is pretty hard to cut large sections but I still see no reason why the knife would not work if one was very careful.

Latest posts

Back