Do minis or horses regurgitate?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reble

Reaction score
Hubby says he is never to old to learn.

I mention this yesterday to him and he said he never knew horses could not regurgitate.

Did you know this? and why they cannot?

I knew they couldn't and that they also do not mouth breathe.

Therefore, for a foal not breathing it would be "mouth to nose" in order to resuscitate.

Neither can rats. I used to know the real scientific answer, but it has to do with muscles, etc.

Horses also can not burp. That is one reason they can colic. The do not have the muscles in their asophogus to bring food or air back up.

Horses also can not burp. That is one reason they can colic. The do not have the muscles in their asophogus to bring food or air back up.
I know I have heard this before too, but I am sure I have in the past heard my horse burp.

Last edited by a moderator:
It involves the term "peristalsis," I remember that much!
default_saludando.gif
Their throats are incapable of making the reverse contraction that would push food back up the throat or something like that. Man, I'm slipping here!
default_new_shocked.gif
Must be getting old or something.
default_doh.gif
default_laugh.png

As Katiean said, the inability to vomit is why stomach trouble in horses is so serious. Once something goes down the hatch, the only way it's coming back out is through the other end or with a surgeon's intervention! You can't simply give them Ipecac to get rid of something bad like you could a dog.

Leia

I know I have heard this before too, but I am sure I have in the past heard my horse burp.
I agree with Mona on this, I have also heard a horse or two burp around here.

I've known this ever since I can remember and also have heard (and believe) that horses cannot burp. However, I have heard some of my horses make a burp like sound. It sounds exactly like one, but I don't believe it is one. I've heard a couple of them make this noise when they are apprehensive about something that's happening or getting ready to happen. I think it's possibly a sound they somehow make w/ their teeth.

Anyway, if horses could throw up and burp, there'd be less colic I imagine. I guess we should thank God they are able to fart
default_biggrin.png

If a horse is bringing anything back up, it's usually through its nose....which means CHOKE.

I too have always heard and believed they can't bring anything (air or solids) back up, but we had a very elderly TWH of my hubby's that coliced and had to be put down. As we were waiting for the vet to arrive to put him down I stayed with Allen. He was in a lot of pain and was ready to go. I walked him to the spot where we were going to bury him and he laid down. He would lay flat out on his side and then lift his head/neck and make this noise that sure sounded like a long burp. He'd point his nose in the air while making the noise. I know they're not supposed to burp, but it sure sounded exactly like one everytime he did it. Fortunately the vet arrived after about 30 mins and was able to relieve him of his pain. To this day I don't know what was making that sound but it was just like a long, drawn out burp.
default_unsure.png

Actually, in rare cases horses do vomit--acute gastric dilatation may cause a horse to vomit (often accompanies gastric rupture)...but this is generally a terminal sign and death occurs a short time later. I've never seen it and pray to God I never do!

I have a Quarter horse gelding that cribs, and yes he does burp. It ahs been witnessed by our vet and he was astonished. If Ed cribs to much even with his cribbing collar on, air simply finds a way to work upward and out his mouth. He doesn't try nor can he control it. He is 34 and has cribbed for the past few years with no avail, we simply let him now as he keeps his weight up and he gums whatever he is cribbing on since he has no teeth left. Our vet actually videod it to show his colleagues. We didn't know what the noise was at first and then after a few months we figured out it was air escaping. It sounds sometimes like a growl and sometimes like a burp. He is the only horse I have known that has been diagnosed by a vet as a burper though. It from what we have been told is very rare.

As for the no vomiting I thought it had to do with the flap in the esophagus and the fact that it only goes one direction. I'm not sure though, just what I remember from many moons ago.

If a horse is bringing anything back up, it's usually through its nose....which means CHOKE.

I had an old standardbred who choked on dry beet bulp - he brought up a large amount of fluid from both is nose AND his mouth when he "coughed". It was horrible to see. I think by doing that several times he actually cleared the obstruction before the vet arrived. He made it through ok, and never got dry beet pulp again.

M vet once said that while God was creating the HORSE, when he got to the throat/stomach area , he must have been "out" to conference. I think that sounds about right
default_wink.png

I was just wondering why they where created this way? Anyone no the positive points?

I have found this topic very interesting: also have this to add, for those that like to learn more.

Understanding Your Horse's Digestive System

By Katherine Blocksdorf

Swallowing

Horses hold their food at the back of the mouth before swallowing. Thoroughly mixed with saliva it is propelled down the esophagus by strong muscular contractions. Ideally there is enough saliva to help the food down but, a greedy eater who doesn’t chew its food completely and hasn’t enough saliva mixed with the ground up food can choke.

The food then travels to the horse’s stomach. Unlike cattle who are ruminants with several stomachs, horses have only one stomach. Horse’s have small stomachs that function best if it is never quite full. A full stomach may feel satisfying to humans, but it can be very uncomfortable, and even harmful for a horse. Because the valve into the stomach only opens only one way, horses can not regurgitate. If something is eaten to disrupt the digestives system there is only one direction it can go.

In the Stomach

In the stomach the food is mixed with more acids and enzymes that help break it down. Food then travels into the small intestine where more secretions from the intestine and organs such as the liver and pancreas break it down into basic components; the nutrients and energy that the horse requires.

The Large Intestine

Once the food has traveled through the small intestine it enters the large intestine. This is where most of the water is extracted from the food and the fiber is broken down. Put an ear, or stethoscope to the side of the horse’s belly and you should hear the rumble and gurgle of a healthy functioning gut. The large intestine is also the location of the caecum, a section of intestine that can be filled with the ingested grit causing sand colic. Because of the narrow bends within the intestinal system, impacted food can cause constipation and colic. Twisting or telescoping of the gut can occur, causing extreme pain. Unfortunately, even with today’s excellent veterinary care many horses who twist a gut must be euthanized.

From the large intestine feces travels to the rectum and is expelled through the anus, most often into a freshly cleaned stall. The whole process of digestion can take up to 48 hours.

Your Horse's Furnace

Two other by-products of the process are heat and gas. Usually gas passes harmlessly. The heat generated by the digestive process is important for keeping the horse warm during frigid temperatures. The best way to keep a horse warm is to give it free access to hay.

Digestive Upsets

Horses can suffer digestive distress from toxic plants, stress, bacteria such as salmonella, parasites, over eating, and swallowing foreign objects. All of these factors can result in colic. Colic is an indication of abdominal pain, and is not a condition in itself. Colic symptoms include: kicking or biting at the sides, elevated pulse, violent rolling on the ground, dull, listless or unusually irritated behavior, constipation, decreased gut sounds, sweating, and refusal to eat or drink. If your horse is exhibiting colic symptoms call your veterinarian immediately.

Maintaining a Healthy Gut

Keep your horse’s digestive system healthy by providing plenty of clean water, good quality hay or pasture and plenty of exercise. A regular de-worming program will help eliminate parasite damaging infestations and regular dental care will ensure that your horse is grinding his food efficiently.

Thanks for reading, just sharing what I found interesting to read.
default_wub.png

I read in one of my many horse encyclopedia that horses can not vomit or burp (not sure about burping) and I think I at one point read was because of the way their stomach or throats are, or maybe it was beacuse they dont breathe throught their mouthes
default_unsure.png
not sure, but I think its cuz the horses dont breathe through their mouthes idk???

I was just wondering why they where created this way? Anyone no the positive points?
I don't think any human could begin to guess the why of if it. Nothing created by God or Nature is truly perfect, so there may well be flaws in many of the designs
default_yes.gif

I also have a happy, healthy, burping miniature gelding. I was quite surprised the first time it happened. Was body clipping him and was down on my knees clipping under his neck and he burped right in my face. Definitely out of the mouth and from the stomach. It was so loud that both my husband and daughter heard it. We all had a good chuckle over it since we also thought that horses coudn't burp. Well, we were proved wrong that day. Talked to my vet about it and she said that they don't ususally burp but there are always exceptions.

After reading the article on Belching Horses, I am wondering if neck conformation could have anything to do with it as our gelding has a very straight neck.

Latest posts

Back