Do bags change sizes??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdomep

Reaction score
Posting for a friend who was wondering if a momma's bag can get bigger/smaller during the last few weeks?? Still getting clear and sticky - just had a smaller bag today different from Saturday. Thanks for any info
default_smile.png

[SIZE=14pt]Yes they can go up and down even in a few hours.... Early morning after stall rest they are usually bigger and go down with activity and going out..... at the very end they usually get big and stay that way but this year..... only God knows![/SIZE]

Lyn

According to books, lol, make MY mares read the books!!! They SAY to watch the bag daily, usually if it's big in the morning but gone down after they've been turned out during the day they're not ready to foal, it's when you bring them in at night and it's still full that they're near foaling, my mares haven't read those books!!!

And like Lyn said, this year ALL the books seem to be out the window! My girl that foaled early early Friday morning had a steady full bag, from tiny to mid sized, never any flab, never went down, never got any ridges on it, nothing, nada. She had sticky fluid for two weeks, had kind of waxed for three days then stopped for two days, never any stress, never got fidgety, nothing. Checked her around midnight, just a grazing away and fine, checked her at 12:20 and there stood a colt, oh, and she was only at day 292.

So yes, this year especially all rules seem to be out the window!

Oh, and best friend talked to the Vet the other day, he said that it seems here locally mares are NOT making a big bag, could be due to our mild winter.

And right now I'm watching a mare thats at day 295 max, HUGE as a house, no real bag but just down right cranky to the other mares but SUPER SUPER loving to me, wants to follow me into the house and she's NOT a people horse.

krisp

I would have said normally not a lot of change in the getting smaller direction, but have to agree with Kris on this one - this year all bets are off! We're watching mares that bag up, almost disappear, bag up, repeat!

This year the mares aren't reading the books is right!!!

I would have said normally not a lot of change in the getting smaller direction, but have to agree with Kris on this one - this year all bets are off! We're watching mares that bag up, almost disappear, bag up, repeat!

This year the mares aren't reading the books is right!!!
Thanks! That makes me feel better - I just emailed this post info to my friend! She went up to say a "C" cup then back down to an "A" she has really dropped and baby is moving a lot so "it" seems good and it did get a lot cooler when she it shunk - it is hard not to worry when they don't follow their normal signs - guess next time we will have to sit and read to them so they pay attention
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back