Do any of your minis stay outside all year?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine seem to prefer the outdoors also. I dont have the option of bringing them in ( to a barn ) but even so they have run-ins and a lean-to and you dont see them using them a whole heck of a lot. Lori

I havn't read the replies...but...out here we've had quite A LOT of cases of barns heating their barns to what they think is comfy then when the horses go outside it's too cold and these horses have ended up colicing. There were six horses in one barn that coliced in a four or five day period just from this heat thing. That's just ONE barn! So my advice is get rid of those heaters asap! It is not worth it at all.

All my horses (three minis and one big one) stay outside all year they have a walk in/out stall and their paddock is the epitomey(sp?) of natural with trees etc in it. I've also blanketed them as the rain was bad although that's let up. The minis (atleast the ones here) get extremely thick coats and even when I didn't blanket the horses I've never had any problems. I could come outside and they'd have iceicles dangling from their eyelashes, noses and in their manes but they were happy, healthy and warm!

I agree with everyone else, the barn is too warm, and the blanket is probably keeping her even warmer than she would like. Warning about blanketing all year round, she can end up with skin fungus if you don't take it off. We only have two in blankets, the two we had at the world show and we are working on them getting used to life without.

Horses are made for outdoor living, it is much healthier to let them out and move. Helps keep colic down, and the horse happier. You will notice when she is out in the snow, it sits on her and doesn't melt. That is because she is not loosing any body heat. Here are our mares last winter eating breakfast.

snowmares.jpg

All of my breeding herd lives outdoors year round and I rarely have any illnesses or colic cases. They have loafing sheds to get in if they choose, access to heated water tanks in the winter and are fed 3 X day. I think horses are much healthier living outdoors if possible!

I think she is telling you something!!

Personally, I hate using blankets.

They just look so uncomfortable.

I live in southern Maine.

All my minis have access to nice shelter with deep bedded shavings, fresh water, steady supply of hay and access to come and go as they please. I check their coats and even when they look soaked with snow sitting on their backs it does not penetrate their skin, their coats are so thick.

The only time it concerns me is in the spring when they are loosing their winter coats and sometimes it gets chilly, but at this time of year they are snug as a bug in a rug!!!!!!!

Here we too get -40 degree temperatures with a wind blowing. Our horses are outside, no blankets, 24/7. They all have access to run in sheds for shelter--sometimes they use the sheds, sometimes they don't; this morning one of the colts was lying outside in the snow--his choice & it was doing him no harm.

Like many others here I would not have those lamps turned on, nor would I bother with the blanket unless your mare has been clipped and doesn't have much coat yet. Much as you & I may enjoy a warm barn, it's really not the best thing for horses. The big thing is to have shelter that the horse can go into if it chooses--doesn't have to be a warm shelter, just so long as it isn't drafty.

Latest posts

Back