Do any of you know sign language?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaos Ranch

Reaction score
I was just curious how many of the forum members knew sign language. Whether ASL (American Sign Language) or SE (Signed English).

I began learning sign language about a year ago or so when the church I was in started a signing worship group called "Hearts to Hands". I joined them and we would sign out several different awesome worship songs.

We wore all black... tights, long black gowns with long sleeves, and then we wore white gloves.... it was so neat to do and people really enjoyed it.

Once, last fall, we made a float and we performed while standing on the float going through the middle of town... it caught everyone's attention and was voted best float. The music blared through-out the town and bounced off of the buildings... it was amazing.... and it was playing the 23rd Psalm that was sung SO neat.

I had lead in several of the songs... MAN .. it was hard to start learning it, but I am so glad I did. We had some evacuees from Hurricane Rita to come and stay at our church, and I had just learned a song that I had to do lead in. The song's words were "I need you, you need me, we're all a part of God's body. Stand with me, agree with me, we're all a part of God's body. It is His will that every need be supplied. You are Important to me... I need you to survive. I'll pray for you, you pray for me" and so on... I'll tell you what.... when those guys heard that song and seen it performed there was not one person in that church that was not absolutely sobbing and smiling and hugging each other. And I was so tickled to be honored with a giant smile and hug by two deaf people there. My first time performing that one, and it is by far the most memorable.

I have since left that church and in doing so... left Hearts to Hands. But I was feeling a bit sentimental today and started learning some more new signs and have decided to carry on in my new church and form a new group to perform with and carry on with something that really reached out and touched a lot of people.

Well then I got curious because I think a lot of the forum family... and I began wondering how many of you know sign language too?

Do you have a certain website you use to help learn? I use the ASL browser, and one other site. There's a site that has old biblical names and stuff too, but I lost it.

Many new mothers are teaching sign language to their children... does anyone here do that?

I know BSL but it is quite significantly different to ASL- most words need two hands. Having seen both in an Ape project I consider AnSlAm to be superior.

We had some folks come to our church last year and they signed some songs in the black dresses and white gloves. It was awesome :aktion033: My girls also learned to do a song last year in VBS (at a different church) and then performed at our church.

I don't know sign language, but I'd sure like to be involved in one of those signing groups
default_yes.gif
:

I don't know sign language myself....just a few words is all. But Brianna - who is in 3rd grade now -- knows more! Her school has a deaf woman who is teaching it to all the grades now.

MA

I took 2 semesters od ASL in collage. I love it. I am debating going back to school ( when the kids are a little older) to become an interpater (SP??) They have a program near me that looks good.

I know ASL...I learned it in high school but was never very good at it then in my early twenties I had a good friend that was deaf so I got much better at "speaking" it because we would have normal conversations in ASL

She also taught me all the naughty signs too, that you don't learn in school :lol:

We always had a lot of fun going out to bars, we would both pretend to be deaf and then I'd know what guys would be saying that they thought we couldn't hear.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

She was in my wedding, then I was in hers but sadly we drifted apart and I have not heard from her in years.

Many new mothers are teaching sign language to their children... does anyone here do that?
I've been looking into this, because our baby will likely be delayed in speaking because of his cleft palate and surgeries that he will have over the next couple of years. I saw a class specifically for moms and babies being held in March that I think I am going to take.

Because I do train hearing dogs I studied ASL at our college which is affiliated with Gaulledette College in DC. However I find that unless you can commit to taking the 2 yr interpreter course they will not let you go any further after a certain point I cannot quit work to do this & it can be very hard on yoiur hands if you have any arthritis or repetitive movement issues with your wrists fingers or hands watch out!

I do love it & still practive it We acturally taught one of our brain injured teens who had not started to use his voice to finger spell This allowed him to comminicate until he got his voice "tuned up" It is such a fun language but I find it difficult to keep up

Try it even if it is a short course The signs make sense and there are mnay good video tapes & books out there You learn not only the actual signs but ASL ettiquette & deaf culture which is very important

i learned asl very young as we had several families of deaf neighbors. Their kids were all hearing but the parents were deaf. In order to ask one over to spend the night or eat over they said I had to learn sign language to ask their parents
default_smile.png
One thing though for sure it is easier to sign then it is to "read". I went to a deaf family picnic day with them and was totally lost!! Different families/regions have different signs and you have to be very careful or you can easily offend.

When i was young and worked in food service I got a raise for being able to talk to the deaf customers. Its been so long now that I cant remember the signs well at all. It really is somethign you have to keep using or lose it. The alphabet is easy and Ill always remember that but the signs are a different story

Latest posts

Back