DNA Testing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you had your miniature horse(s) DNA tested?

• Total voters
We DNA/PQ all our foals, and I've gone back and DNA (PQ if possible) all breeding stock we have purchased over the years. That was an expensive project but I felt it was worth it.

I want people to know what they're buying is what I'm saying it is! The only ones I may not DNA/PQ is a gelding (if he wasn't DNA/PQ'd as a foal), as what's the point, he can't be used for breeding.

I won't buy a horse that isn't DNA/PQ tested. I also like to see a pedigree with a few generations DNA/PQ'd if possible too.

It's good to remember the PQ part is the important part of this anyway. All the DNA states is the hair sent in is that hair. The PQ matches against the parents DNA test, so you know who sire/dam are.

I'm sure the crooks can fake all that as well, but it's a better guarantee the horses parentage is what you say it is - IMHO!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah Couldn't have said it better myself!!

after several unanswered emails I got a reply from the breeder last night and he says that hes filled in the breeding report and will post it today
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Im keeping everything crossed that he keeps to his word , Ill let you know if/when it arrives
default_biggrin.png
:BigGrin

YAY!!!! I have the breeding report
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
I can register my girl
default_biggrin.png

after several unanswered emails I got a reply from the breeder last night and he says that hes filled in the breeding report and will post it today
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Im keeping everything crossed that he keeps to his word , Ill let you know if/when it arrives
default_biggrin.png
:BigGrin
That makes me wonder if perhaps he either read this post on his own, or was informed about it.
default_laugh.png
default_aktion033.gif

That makes me wonder if perhaps he either read this post on his own, or was informed about it.
default_laugh.png
default_aktion033.gif

well if he did then he only read the truth ! It is strange that it came through this week though
default_yes.gif

Im just happy that I can get her papers at last

Congratulations Supaspot!

Thank you Carolyn and Michelle@Westco for the explanations on PQ'ing! I never knew how that differed from DNA but your responses made it easy to understand.
default_yes.gif

And as Sue C said in regards to getting the breeder to send in a late stallion report: "...... if the "breeders" don't step-up and take responsibility (I think they should pay any and ALL costs the buyer suffers) they (the breeder") should be penalized by the registry/association; as far as refusing to allow any of their future horses to be registered without DNA at the time of registration.

IMO, it is time to clean this mess up that is caused by the slack "breeders"...we hear this kind of story much too often."

I TOTALLY AGREE!!! With all the discussion on this topic, then why DOESN'T AMHA incorporate some rules along these lines in making the breeders take the proper responsibility??? I think a very effective rule would be that the breeder could no longer register ANY more horses until they got their updated stallion reports taken care of. It's unfair to the new owner of a horse that can't get it registered because the "breeder" didn't do their paperwork right, or through DNA discovered the parents are not who the breeder said they were. And it should be the "breeder" who pays the late fees and anything else that is needed.

Another thing to consider...

If a horse is sold as registered, and the papers are NOT correct or produced, IMO, that can be considered fraud. If the breeder/seller fixes the problem, (at their expense) that is an error, and forgivable...but to avoid the buyer, and not make it right...to of KNOWINGLY misled and "rooked" the buyer, that IS fraud, no doubt about it. Yet, so many times right here on this forum, I have heard others actually defending this policy by going on about "buyer beware"...etc...putting the blame on the buyer's shoulders...making them feel like fools. THAT is wrong on so many levels.

Then too, I have read, too-too many times, of folks having PAID big $$ for a registered horse, which ends up having no registration at all, saying "Oh well, I was taken, but I will keep said horse because we love him so?. Well, see, that is exactly what these crooked breeders/seller WANT? You think they don't KNOW that these horses will eventually just be kept, the $$ not returned and no one can say who they were ripped-off by publicly? HMMM...I wonder if "there's an app for that"??

Like you said Sue, if it's just a mistake and the breeder is willing to fix the problem once it's brought to their attention, then it's not a big deal. Mistakes do sometimes happen. But I still don't understand if it's an AMHA horse, and the breeder refuses to fix the problem so the horse can be registered, then why can't AMHA as an association contact the breeder and let them know they have X amount of time to get the paperwork corrected AND pay the fees to correct it, or else that breeder will NO LONGER be allowed to register or show any more horses until they do. It seems the association would want to protect their members and horses from any breeder who is either deliberately deceiving people on the paperwork of the horses they are buying, or from any breeder who is refusing to correct paperwork if a mistake is discovered. Could this be an item added to the agenda of the BOD?

Latest posts

Back