Diva update so excited

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhondaalaska

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I thought I would update you on our progress .

Last weekend we took diva out and worked on desisitizing her. We rubbed poles on her. Dropped poles.

Dragged poles and dropped the cart to make noise. We were hoping to be able to hook PVC poles to her last weekend but no go. She did not like anything to do with them.

So to day we took her out to work with her . With the goal to maybe get one pole on her. I rubbed her on oneside with the pole. No response . I then dropped the pole next to her. Nothing she just looked at it.

I did the same to the other side. Same thing. So we hooked one pole up. At first she was unsure but she settled down quickly so we added the other side to her. She walked with the poles as if she had been doing it for a while. We then added me putting weight against the traces. She pulled me uphill with no problem and when the poles both fell off she just kept going. Didn't even look at them.

This is where we got excited.......
default_smile.png
default_smile.png

We both looked at each other and said at the same time " she is ready"
default_smile.png

We hooked her to the cart ......
default_smile.png

Diva stood there as if she had been doing this all along.

We put two lead ropes on her and walked her.

At first she was unsure and kept looking for reassurance .

But soon She was ready for someone in the cart

My daughter Diva's Girl got in since she is lighter.

And I had the lead rope. We did this for awhile.

Diva did great.

For the last laps we switched and I got in the cart.

She pulled me no problem.

Diva is such an amazing little horse.

I realy think she is remembering this.

She looked like she was having fun.

We are going to keep the lead on her probly for a while yet and we havn't done the hill yet either.

I need to adjust her harness a bit yet as well.

But for a first hook up it was amazing.

default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png
default_smile.png
default_smile.png
:) we are so happy.

I love this little horse.
default_smile.png

We are going to take her out again today. Here to hope it was not a fluke.

She sure wanted to go yesterday.

Just got back from our ride.

What an amazining little horse.

We hooked her to the cart. And she stood thier like she had been doing it for years.

She did so well we took her off lead after awhile. She loved it . We trotted down the road.

She even whoed by voice only every time. We usually have to use a little rein but not today.

My son got in the cart and we put the lead back on because he has never driven her before.

Diva was so cute. You could tell she was realy trying to take care of him. She was so gentle.

He had fun and wants to try again next weekend but only on lead. Which if fine with me.

Diva even took the hill no problem. It was the small hill but it was enough. She has a lot of muscle to build up.

We are only going to do the small loop we walk till she gets stronger.

She earned her alfalfa cubes, pelets, and vitamins today.

She thinks those are treats.

Just had to let everyone know.

So this means as soon as I get her teeth done and all the vaccinations and blood test done

We can take her to other places when the vet gives the ok.

I watched her close when we did the cool down and Diva looked realy good, tired but a happy horse.

She kept nickering at us as we walked her to cool her with out the cart.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is AWESOME!!!

Congratulations. So happy to hear that you've got her going and it went beautifully well.

Went to the driving club to day.

I think we can learn a lot from them, but I am going to take what I want and ignore the rest.

A few didn't like minis or thought they were bratty. We will change thier minds when they meet Diva in April.

If not oh well , they do not have to like her for us to join and have fun. One of the ladies took us under her wing and taught us

A lot today. She even let my daugter drive her morgan. I think this will be fun they were all nice to us.

They didn't like that we were teaching our selves but we didn't have anyone to show us. So we are learning on our own.

Going to be interesting little diva can walk under all the other horses. Lol

Took Diva out today and applied some of what we learned yesterday. She did realy well.

We found out she has a realy fast trot as well as her slow trot. She caught on to the voice comands quickly.

She works realy hard in the snow so we keep it to about 30 min good driving and the rest getting ready and cooling down.

She loves it. We may not do everything right but we are trying, I think Diva is realy teaching us. lol

We also had her in blinkers for the first time with the cart. She is so funny, she hangs her head to the ground when we put them on.

We have to hold her head up just to attach the reins. Her head is heavy. She is so funny.

You had her in cart the first time with no blinkers?

That is one amazingly calm, trusting little horse.

How cool is that! Diva is going to show those drivers' of larger horses just how good and steady our little ones are.
default_smile.png

You had her in cart the first time with no blinkers?

That is one amazingly calm, trusting little horse.
Just for the record, I start all my horses with an open bridle and only switch to a blinkered bridle when they are comfortable with 'things'(can be a cart or a log or...) following them. I believe they need to be able to see what it is in the beginning and later they just accept that altho they can't see it, it is just the same old thing.

I always start without blinkers too- in fact, unless they show a need for them, I do not put them into a closed bridle, I have become used to my horses being able to see what they are doing!

Diva likes the open bridle better. But she is less distracted by falling snow with the blinkers ,

so we will probly just go with what works for her best that day. The club wants blinkers so we are doing that as well

We got more snow today
default_sad.png
so no driving to day sigh.

She is doing well though.

Diva got her teeth done and now she chews on her bit a lot.

I am think I need to adjust it a little now that her teeth are down.

She is very hyper with all the new snow, took her for a walk to give her some time

Out of her padock. It is a good thing we didn't hook up today.

She was interesting to walk with all that energy..

We got more snow today
default_sad.png
so no driving to day sigh.

She is doing well though.

Diva got her teeth done and now she chews on her bit a lot.

I am think I need to adjust it a little now that her teeth are down.

She is very hyper with all the new snow, took her for a walk to give her some time

Out of her padock. It is a good thing we didn't hook up today.

She was interesting to walk with all that energy..
Was she "bouncing"???

yep, had one mare have some problems, started on meds and then have a later term abortion (story in MareChat & on our website) and it seems like for the past 3 weeks we've had rain every other day. I'm not so much worried about the rain - need it! BUT man, it's gotten so old to be in waterlogged mud or just constantly having it misty and wet all the time. Have no idea how others in areas that that is a norm - deal with it,
default_whistling.gif
Plus the temps varying from 70* to 21*. Too big of a temp variation for all of us here.

I almost wish we had the snow. Sometimes I really miss it! Parts of my body don't and my hubby doesn't ever want to be in a nsnowy area.

I completely understand about the rain

we have that from July through September

Then we get the snow.

Had more snow today hoping to at least go fo a walk tomarrow.

It should be fun.

Diva is so hyper when not worked for a few days.

Latest posts

Back