"Dishy Head" ... what exactly is that ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

just2minis

When someone says their horse had a "dishy head" or "dished head" what exactly is that ?

Is is when you look at the horses's profile and their nose is kinda turned up instead of sloping down ? Or is it when the dish is just below their eyes after the forehead ?

Well to me dish means the face is concave and has a teacup muzzle. Basically the arabian style head, with allot of chisseled features around the jaw, eye, muzzle and face.

Miniequines bay filly (think filly?) has the most beautiful DISHED face i have ever seen. Whenever i hear someone mention a dishy head, i picture that horse!
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

When someone says their horse had a "dishy head" or "dished head" what exactly is that ?

Is is when you look at the horses's profile and their nose is kinda turned up instead of sloping down ? Or is it when the dish is just below their eyes after the forehead ?

The best way to tell you is to SHOW you what "dished" means..... Look at this baby's profile with the defined forehead.

MA

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/mini...zaJune18137.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
okay now this really has me wondering. I was brought up in big horses. So there a dishy head meant a big round jaw (dish shaped) which is really hard to get on a miniature. So that is how I define a dished head. To me it never had anything to do with the forehead?? Is it just me?

Here is an example my dishiest head here. Not a side view, but it you can still see the dish. Mid winter, so excuse how dirty he looked.

NarkoEcho.jpg

Hmm, kay i had never heard that before. See, i know all my 'big horsie friends, you know QH's and those types', when they see my horses and when i show them some of my faverite horses they say how deformed they look especially around the face. Big horses are not out for 'prettyness' ...they want 'work/power'. How powerful would a draft horse or QH look with a little refined 'dishy' femineme (sp?) head? That was what i was told by some of the big horse people at Equine Affaire. Thats why you dont really see to many breeds that want dishy heads in the big horses. My friends always ask why us mini people dont show in western halters and use the rolled arabian style. Well, if you had heads like this would you want to cover them up with a bulky western halter??? I know i sure dont want to.

I think i heard somewhere, maybe in the arabian horse magizine that horses with dishier heads are smarter bc they have more room for brain mass. Maybe its just a myth but i read it somewhere.

This is what I think of as a "dishy" head. Please excuse her plumpness...lol. She is an easy keeper.....

bluehead.jpg

A really cute, short dishy head at that Tami.

Every baby I have ever seen is born with that lump on their foreheads which most of the time disappear over time.

In the Arabian breed it's called a "jibbah". Some Arabians keep their "jibbah" while some don't. Some people like it.....others hate it. It will make a dish look dishier but has absolutely nothing to do with a dished head. A true dished head will have a dish with a FLAT forehead.

Here are some examples of dished heads........not to be confused with "pony headed".

Mundher-1.jpg

Kenz_Noor-4.jpg

gazal_al_shaqab2.jpg

thanks carol! those pics you posted are exactly what i am talking about!

Leeanna I grew up riding quarter horses and they also should have dished jaw. A horse that is what we called "straight" on the bottom with no dish was thought to be weak jawed. Now for sure arabs are more extreme but the quarter horses we rode also had a dish or were preferred that way

Kay to me coming from arabians, and all arabians do not have dished heads, a dish is a concave chiseled head with a large eye, smallish muzzle. Equal distance from tip of ear to eye to nose. MiniVs foal is a good example.

this is one of Baileys colts from two years ago. He has his mothers dished head.

f628a4a5.jpg

ef0b65f4.jpg

Lyn

I think the head on this mare of mine is pretty dishy, and also from a different angle to give another perspective, in terms of camera angle... Shows that "flat" forehead area...

Harrells Rowdys Reflection of Hope

HOPE%202007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20037.jpg

Hope%20Whinny%20For%20Me%20Farm%20--%2011102006%20--%20212.jpg

(doesn't she look different in her fur suit? But shows you the profile of her head pretty well...)

Here is a pic of a friend of mine's colt, (Picture posted with permission, he's for sale ;)

He has one of the most extreme heads/necks I've seen in a mini so far. I completly agree with Lyn and Kay, and I don't often see the best examples of it in the minis. This colt has grown and lost that funky baby bump thing (I don't like them) and now has a flat forehead. New pic's are coming, for now here's Winning Streaks Magic Twist.

webtwisterhead.jpg

Jill I think your mare is a great example of a mini with a dished head as well as spotted pony. That one will still have a dish long after that bump is gone. Lyn's mare is a good example also, as well as the others. Some dishes are higher some are lower.........all good examples, IMO. Dishes can come in a variety like anything else.

And I just had to add :bgrin that even though this thread is about dished heads I see heads that are straighter in profile that are just as beautiful. EXPRESSION is at the top of my list, eyes, ear set, shape, all make up beautiful heads.

Also, while we are posting foals, I think this girl has an awesome head, but like has been pointed out, foals have a more dished look than they will when they mature. Still, I think this one will always have a nice, dishy look
default_wub.png
:

Erica's Big City Bomb Shell
Ericas%20Big%20City%20Bomb%20Shell%203.jpg

bomb%20shell%206.jpg

Rumor has it she's going to be weaned and probably clipped before too long... Not that I'm excited or anything
default_wink.png
:

Jill I think your mare is a great example of a mini with a dished head as well as spotted pony. That one will still have a dish long after that bump is gone. Lyn's mare is a good example also, as well as the others. Some dishes are higher some are lower.........all good examples, IMO. Dishes can come in a variety like anything else.

And I just had to add that even though this thread is about dished heads I see heads that are straighter in profile that are just as beautiful. EXPRESSION is at the top of my list, eyes, ear set, shape, all make up beautiful heads.
Thanks, Carol! That mare is the dam of the filly I say is your grandchild as she had a prior fling with TenLs Spirits Afterglow :bgrin

And, I do agree with what you say about expression!!! I have a show gelding that doesn't have a dish at all to his head... but oh those big soft, I would do anything for you eyes (Tibbs Sundowner (HOF)).

I think what confuses me is I can see where the head is concave from the eyes to the nose. What about about a bigger forehead but then the rest of the face is regular, like the concave part is only right at the eyes... does that make sense ?

BTW, I see some gorgeous heads here !!

the bulge in the forehead with a flat face is one of the residual dwarf traits found in many minis still today. Dont flame me for that opinion.

Lyn

Here is a pic of a friend of mine's colt, (Picture posted with permission, he's for sale ;)

He has one of the most extreme heads/necks I've seen in a mini so far. I completly agree with Lyn and Kay, and I don't often see the best examples of it in the minis. This colt has grown and lost that funky baby bump thing (I don't like them) and now has a flat forehead. New pic's are coming, for now here's Winning Streaks Magic Twist.

webtwisterhead.jpg

Where is the drooly smiley when you need it? :new_shocked:

I will go ahead and post an example of a "non-dishy" or "un-typey" head.. It isn't the best picture, but it gives you an idea..
default_smile.png

SummerShow0d14.jpg

No flaming from me- I agree with you Lyn. Some of the 'huge eyed, dishy heads' on a Mini COULD be a sign of dwarfism but it looks different- not like the pics of the nice heads here. And yes, I agree also, that the dish on a foals head is always more 'extreme' looking and then it changes a bit as they mature.

I have never heard of a 'dishy' head refering to jaws though - just the profile of the front of the face.

I would like an opinion on a particualr horse.

If you have DSL e-mail me and I will show you.

I will send it to the first few people that think they can help, thanks.

I think my 7 year old gelding has a nice head and neck, although a couple of my friends call him "no-neck" because it is so slender. I think this year's colt will be very much the same. Their sire throws this refined head and neck onto all his foals, no matter the mare, so I feel pretty lucky that I will never have to sweat a neck here.

minissaturdayflatclasses018.jpg

CopyofIMG00007.jpg

radcoltsmallgood.jpg

I think our palomino colt has a slightly dished face......... Since 1986 we had one foal that that had an extremely dished face to the point that her bite was off as a weanling. We sold her as pet quality but as she matured the bite went right on.. I know someone who paid BIG time $$$'s from a BIG time farm for a very dished headed colt. Bite was off & never went back on. I have heard an EXTREME dished face will cause an offbite.

Latest posts

Back