Disgruntled New Person

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All these reasons for raising the fee but no reasoning as to why it had to be done by hurting those who have not yet applied for a prefix/farm name. Perhaps what we will see next is that sales will be limited to only a few instead of to "everyone and their mother"
That is what has happened to an extent. With the increase in price you wont see people reserving them "just to have them" but instead people will think a bit harder about "is this really what I want" and "is it worth it to me" and "do I actually intend to get $200 worth of use out of it". At $20 what happened (in a good many cases) was people reserved several, or for 'just in case' they decided to breed, or if they had a single foal ever, and reserving "things that look or sound like my farm name". Other breeds charge more than this and have for quite some time... AHSA (saddlebreds) charges $500 to register a farm name, AMHA (morgans) charge $400, the Jockey Club (thoroughbreds) is $100 per year.

Welcome to minis and the forum! And sorry that you seem to have had incredibly bad timing and a bad experience to boot.

I just wonder how many prefixes AMHR will sell at that price? We registered our prefix with AMHA but not with AMHR or Pinto, figuring we would take our chances. Because Pinto used to have a very short letter limit, some of our horses have different names in Pinto anyway. (The letter limit has been since been changed). Correct me if I am wrong, but as long as no one else registers the prefix you want (at $200), then you can register your horses with that name/prefix.

Good luck!

The ASPC/AMHR attorney is present during all BOD meetings.

You still don't get charged to have both names on the papers - but the person submitting the paperwork and signing the check has to be an ASPC/AMHR member. For example - I could put my sisters name on with my own as co-owner when I transfer a horse - but if she ever needs to do paperwork with the ASPC/AMHR without me she'd have to join. As a member I can transfer papers into anyone's name and frequently do transfer papers for buyers who do not plan to show or breed so don't feel a need to join.

May I ask, did the BOD have lawyers advising them that the only way to solve the problem of the prefixes was to charge the $200.00? And what did it cost to have this advise given? Just curious because I don't understand why it wouldn't be legal to just charge the normal fee for the first one and then $200.00 for the second, third etc. When we first joined AMHR we did not get charged to have more than one name on the paperwork. Mary

You are so funny Lewella....I get such a chuckle out of you at times because you are so presistent at thinking you know what is going on with everybody's business with AMHR. Sorry but you are wrong in how AMHR is doing with us! :eek: My hubby is the only one on the membership and yet I do All the paperwork and sign ALL the checks for dues, transfers, registrations or what ever else needs to be done. I don't know how you drew the conclusion that it was any different than that for my hubby and I other than assuming so. I know how I do my business and why my hubby and I have it as we do. Why do you insist otherwise?
default_wacko.png
: Mary

[ quote You still don't get charged to have both names on the papers - but the person submitting the paperwork and signing the check has to be an ASPC/AMHR member. For example - I could put my sisters name on with my own as co-owner when I transfer a horse - but if she ever needs to do paperwork with the ASPC/AMHR without me she'd have to join. As a member I can transfer papers into anyone's name and frequently do transfer papers for buyers who do not plan to show or breed so don't feel a need to join. ]

[

Well Mary, if you are not a member and are signing the checks and signing the paperwork then they are not following their rules. It specifically states in the rule book that you MUST be a member in good standing to conduct business with the ASPC/AMHR. Doesn't take a lot of effort to read the rule book.

Maybe I'm being overly "simplistic" here.....but what's wrong with simply limiting each farm/family to ONE prefix or suffice?

(I'm sorry if this has already been discussed....I read the first few pages of this thread, and the last one, but haven't some in-between.)

Dona, that is what myself and others have been asking also, but have yet to hear the reason for that not happening. One sounded like it had to do with the legalities of some sort or another....that doesn't make sense. It seems that no one really wants to step up and say why it wasn't kept simply to limiting families to one at $20.00 and then charging more for any more that were needed. If there was abuse then that could have been stopped years ago with the simple rule of one per family at $20.00 and a higher cost for more. I love to see things kept simple and straight forward but this prefix/farm name matter was handled in an unfair manner for those who have not yet applied for a Prefix/farm name. JMHO Mary

Maybe I'm being overly "simplistic" here.....but what's wrong with simply limiting each farm/family to ONE prefix or suffice?

(I'm sorry if this has already been discussed....I read the first few pages of this thread, and the last one, but haven't some in-between.)

This is off topic, but Mary, I'm afraid you're not making any sense. If only your husband's name is on the papers, how are you being charged extra for a second name on the papers?

I truly don't think that AMHR cares who signs the check as long as the transaction is only for the person that holds the membership--he has the membership, horse is being registered in his name, the check is signed by someone from the same household/same address I'd expect that's good enough, as it has been for your transactions. However, if he was transferring a horse to a different party--a non-member--the registry wouldn't (okay, shouldn't--I know they have allowed this in the past, don't know if they still do) allow the buyer to pay the transfer fee using the seller's member number. If the buyer is paying the fee to AMHR, buyer is supposed to be a member. It's my understanding that there is no extra charge for putting two names on the papers--as long as one of the owners is a member there's no problem. If the non-member owner tried to conduct business on another horse that they own in their own name only, they would need to buy a membership. There is a provision for a lower priced membership for second person in same household, but I thought that was for showing purposes and for registry transactions--not a required thing for co-ownership. There again, coming from another breed, I don't see an issue with this--in Morgans we had to have a membership for each ownership--I had a membership which entitled me to own/show/register/transfer horses that were solely in my name. My mother had a membership which entitled her to own/show/register/transfer horses that were solely in her name. For the horses that we were joint owners of, in order to register/show/transfer them we had to buy another membership in the names exactly as they were on the registration papers. Nothing to complain about in Minis where we need only a single membership each, and the second of those is cheaper!

For those who are saying because AMHR quoted $20 as the prefix reservation fee they should have honored that $20 price for holymoly--nice idea in theory, but do you not realize how impossible that is? They cannot be expected to keep track of who was quoted what price when--often they answer questions about fees without even knowing who the caller is. Then after the price increase if they were going to honor their fee quotes from before the change in fees--they'd have all sorts of people trying to get prefixes registered at the old price by saying "well, you told me it was $20". It just doesn't work. I work in public service; our fee increases are usually known about ahead of time & we do warn customers when they ask the fee for a registration--we'll tell them right now it is this much, but after such & such a date it will be this much more. Once inawhile we've had fee increases on short notice. We've quoted the old price to someone, then when they come in after the new fee has come into effect we are forced to say sorry, the price has gone up. We can sympathize, but there's not a thing we can do about honoring the old fee.

And yes, when staff is inundated with complaints about something like this fee increase, it does get to be very hard not to snap. It's not that one caller staff is annoyed with; it's the cumulative effect of the flood of complaints that has come before. The stress builds up until one last call is simply one call too many and that last lucky caller gets the grouchy reply.

The rules state a member may have an agent!! A husband may give his wife power of attorney! And there are other things you may not be aware of. I have read the rule book and don't recall it stating that someone else CAN NOT write the checks to cover the costs of a members expenses....not saying it isn't there just saying I haven't been able to find that one. And yes there has been more than once they haven't followed the rules.
default_wink.png

Well Mary, if you are not a member and are signing the checks and signing the paperwork then they are not following their rules. It specifically states in the rule book that you MUST be a member in good standing to conduct business with the ASPC/AMHR. Doesn't take a lot of effort to read the rule book.

The rules state a member may have an agent!! A husband may give his wife power of attorney! ETC. ETC. I have read the rule book and don't recall it stating that someone else CAN NOT write the checks to cover the costs of a members expenses....not saying it isn't there just saying I haven't been able to find that one. And yes there has been more than once they haven't followed the rules.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back