Differnt styles of shafts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jegray21

Reaction score
I have notice that some shafts are strait and some have bend to them and some even have the ends looped back. What is the difference and does it matter what kind is used when showing? Thanks
default_smile.png

I volunteered at a CDE last fall and got to see the different shafts in action. I don't know much about the different shafts but the ones that have a loop on the end are marathon shafts. I have to say that I really like those. I got to compare how a horse went through a hazard with the straight shafts versus the marathon shafts. The marathon shafts really seemed to free up the shoulder to make quicker turns through the hazard. The horses seemed happier on the turns too versus the straight shafts.

Wow, what seems like such a simple question doesn't have such a simple answer. The most simple answer is, "it depends".

HorseMom is right that the closed-end shafts are marathon shafts, usually only used for CDEs and the like. They require a tug that can be opened to fit through the looped end. We just had to get new tugs, because our open tugs wouldn't "open" for our new marathon vehicle shafts. As far as what matters for showing, (correct me if I am wrong) it doesn't matter what shafts are used for CDEs, but some will give more advantages, just like HorseMom said.

Otherwise, for Pleasure Shows, the shape of the shafts depends more on the style of the traditional vehicle. Some very curved shafts are called Gig shafts, because they are generally used on gigs. Usually, you would use French or Tilbury tugs with Gig shafts. Some vehicles have Double Bend shafts, like mine in the avatar, that basically allow for the design of the vehicle. In my case, it allows for easier entry. There are also Bent Heel shafts, which have one 90 degree bend in the back, again for the vehicle design.

How does that muddy the waters!
default_biggrin.png
Is there something specific you would like to know?

Not really specific...I just thought looking at the shafts that the marathon ones look more comfortable for the horse and wanted to train with them, I was just wondering why in the breed shows there was not different shafts used but it does make sense that for the traditional use of the cart...

Does anyone use the training carts that you stand up in?

The other advantage of the curved back ends on Marathon shafts is that they don't get hung up on trees or posts as easily - they tend to just glance off rather than poke through or around things which can be a real danger with straight shafts and full size horses, not as much with Minis as the hazards tend to be wide enough for us to fit through without hanging up.

I had a forecart for working with full size horses which was a big advantage for me as I am so short - made it easier to see over the horse - and also they are quick and easy to jump in and out of which can be advantageous when working with a green horse. I don't have one in Mini size and have since sold my full size one. Wouldn't mind getting one in Mini though.....

Back