Difference between A/R and R/ASPC horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamondinmypocket

Reaction score
I am looking at a gelding to purchase to train and show.

Having only/A/R horses, I have many questions on the ASPC aspects.

Could someone tell me their experiences and likes,dislikes, registry differences, temperment, anything you can really.

I have only seen fuzzy photos of this guy. I am waiting to see what I might expect before I go see him.

I plan on ground based aspects, I dont know if I will ever do driving.

My max is 3, and all are pets. If my 2 year old can't be outside with them roaming around, I will pass. I can work with a horse to gentle them, but if I come across something that is hard to get out of the breed, (such as a shetland at at a hunter jumper barn who took delight in biting any child it could, including me lol) I might need to look at something else.

So please help me make the right choice.

Thanks in advance

Papers make no difference, particularly on a gelding, unless you'd like the opportunity of showing at ASPC shows too like Congress.

Otherwise, papers don't make the quality of a horse...

I agree with Andrea, papers don't really tell you much if anything about a horse's temperament. If you see a known "terror" close up in the pedigree, that would be a clue, but otherwise all you can really do is go see the horse itself. Buying from a breeder who breeds not only for good conformation but good temperament is a big help too. If you can check out the parents, that helps not only to see what kind of temperament the offspring may have inherited, but also gives you an idea of what a foal may grow up to look like. Foals are cute, but if you don't like the way the parents look, then you likely won't like the way the foal turns out as an adult either. Good luck!

Exactly what disneyhorse said. I have both 3 -A/R horses and 1 R/ASPC. The biggest difference is that the bigger guy hasn't been worked with from baby on as my smaller minis have. He is a big shy of EVERYTHING! But in his favor he is getting over this. It just takes more work when they are left until they are older to get the complete trust and reliability. My big guy loves to be petted and groomed and loved on just the smaller ones. Hubby says he'd trust the big one to not run him over or push or bite sooner than he would the small ones (well one of mine was a stallion for a few years).

So why get him? He trots big!!! Look at the avatar of disneyhorse and think just slightly smaller. My granddaughter is a bit intimidated by him but she's only 7 and she's warming up to him quickly.

The papers never out-trump the training. So it's all what you like and what you want to do with your horses.

So are they shetlands or miniatures or a cross? I know some breeders breed minis to shetlands, but what is gained by this?

And then this goes into the different types of shetlands. So what and why in selecting a showmanship gelding?

I am attracted to the shetland size. Thats all I know.

Not all AMHR minis are shetland, but all ASPC ponies that are under 38" can be AMHR. At this time AMHR is allowing people to hardship AMHA, ASPC, and Falabellas into the registery. Buy what you like. I lke AMHA horses, but have hardshipped everybody to AMHR.
default_yes.gif

Horses of every breed have temperament that wildly varies... You will find aggressive Clydesdales and neurotic quarter horses and sleepy lazy Arabians. So pick your horse based on its individual temperament.

There are minis in every size from tiny 28" to tall 38". Shetlands go up to 46" tall, but only the ones under 38" can also be a mini.

For very competitive breeders, some shetland lines are well known for having qualities that are desired by judges, and that is why you may see some AMHR foals that are advertised as having an ASPC parent. It's all just marketing.

Back