Differance between Driving horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiny acres

Reaction score
When I'm deciding where a driving horse would show better. I work him in a round pen and take still pictures.I have nothing on the horse. I want to see how he moves. That way it is a lot easier on the horse because he is already doing this naturally.Then all I have to do is refine it.I think we try to make horses do what they can not do because of conformation.,This is my western pleasure horse.I'm glad that they have added this class to the shows.We were told to shorten his overcheck and get his head up for country pleasure.We tried it and he was unconforable with it that way so we didn't do it.I'm sure he will show a lot better in western pleasure. This horse carries his head like this because of the way his neck comes off of his shoulders. Tiny Acres Alero also does roadster
WesternPleasurehorse.jpg
This is my country pleasure horse. See how he carries his head higher it is because his neck comes out of his sholders higher. He also has more knee and hock actionthen the western pleasure horse.Tiny Acres Kona Gold. also does roadster
Konaforwessite.jpg
This is my pleasure driving horse.He has a higher head set. He also bend more at the knee and he picks up his feet higher.I have been driving this horse less then a month and this is the way he travels.I did not put things on his legs. This is all naturel.Westwind BTU Crown Prince Get R Dun
Dunneralone.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are showing AMHR, I would show the first horse in western country, the second in country.

The third photo doesn't show up for me.

I agree with your choice for classes. I would still work on getting the first horse collected a bit.

When I went to that Larry Parnell driving clinic, he said to judge your horses at a canter. If your horse canters forward-he'll be country pleasure. If he canters up and down-he'll be a pleasure horse. The horses with a more relaxed lower head set should be placed in western pleasure. I would definately try Alero in Western this year. I think he would do awesome! And keep Kona in Coutnry pleasure becuase he seems to win those classes each time. Your pic of dunner didn't come through.
default_smile.png

Here is the picture of.

Westwind BTU Crown Prince Get R Dun

I'm still learning how to do this

Dunneraloneforwebsite.jpg

Little Arrow has since learned to be more collected.

I'm showing AMHR

My friend's horse was shown in Western at Nationals this year and we took National Champion and in every western class we went into we placed. Her horse, Krackerjack, is a real nice flat kneed mover, low head set but is still slightly tucked. Overall I personally feel he is a very good example at what a western horse should be. Alot of horses I saw at Nationals in this class did not have very good head sets, they just let them hang out there. So with your horse tiny acres I would also bring your horse nose in just a lil bit more.

I think this is going to be a really good class, I hope people don't see it as for horses with no movement. I also hope people respect it a little bit more, it is a very nice class.

27817BigJack.jpg

Latest posts

Back