deworming

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
You know, I deworm my horses four times a year. You would think they would get used to it. But nooooooooooo. Every dang time it's the same thing: run, run, fast as you can....can't catch me I'm not the deworming kind. Sigh. How do they know, anyway??? So I finally run them into the stalls and take them out, one at a time, and dose them up. Some are OK, but Fluffy does his typical rearing up thing. I guess he thinks I can't reach his mouth if it's up in the air? Doesn't work, sooner or later he's got to come down and when he does....I got him. Festus (mini donkey) thinks if he clamps his mouth closed real tight I can't give him any. That doesn't work, either.

And the faces they make. Honestly, you'd think I was giving them poison.

When I'm done I always give out horse goodies and they refuse to come close, right away. I guess they think I'm going to give them more yucky stuff. But finally they came to get a scratch and a snack and all was well.....until next time. LOL

LOL! The visual you have painted. I am very lucky as mine do not mind to be wormed.

I only have a couple that are real stinkers about deworming and then there is my husband's 16+H gelding, he is the worst and it hasn't improved no matter what I try.

My guy LOVES dewormer, and I only worm twice a year! He also loves to lick what's left on the tip.
default_biggrin.png

Too funny. I have some who will suck the wormer out of the tube and some who crawl the walls to get away. Gotta love getting slimed and yes, I too love the funny faces they make.

The first time we wormed my mare she sucked the whole tube down! Scared us to death!

She also took injectable banamine by mouth (vet okd)

I think there's something wrong with her lol

The first time I tried to worm Josie was fine, held her halter and I just put it right in the corner of her mouth. Misty another story she kept rearing up and trying to get away, so I went in the house and put a small bit of molasses in a cup. I just dipped the end of the applicator in the molasses and done!! So now I bring out the molasses when it's time to worm, even good little Josie gets a sweet worming!!!

Since I started using the Apple flavor paste wormer I get attacked when I show up with the tubes.....have to be careful each horse gets dosed only once!!

That's why I always buy the apple flavored stuff in as many different "kinds" as I can. They really don;t seem to mind it at all, and some even actually seem to LIKE and want it!!!

I have one mini that is very difficult to do. For him I squeeze the amount in-between two graham crackers and make a little sandwich for him. He will eat it best this way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of ours are pretty good but we have one mare who rears and rears and rears. So, we don't mess around, she gets done first before she sees what we are doing. Halter her and then we do ear her and pop in the wormer. Less than five seconds and we're done. We've tried being nice (she came to us this way) and it's just easier and safer to ear twitch her.

Mika runs to us with her mouth open. Gimme gimme....

Back