Deworming question?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtrrae

Reaction score
I have dewormed my two little jennets with a foal wormer because I wasn't sure if they had ever been wormed before. They both passed a lot of worms - I am wondering, should I deworm them with the foal wormer again? should I go with Ivermectrin? or should I do the 5 day wormer with Safeguard?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

I'd do Ivermectin cause if they've got bots, they need them out. Wait 10-14 days and do that as you've already gotten a big load of worms out. I've done that on wormy mini horses I bought.

Thanks dbarjminis fot the info! These little guys/gals are so precious that I wouldn't want to deworm them incorrectly or give them an overdose.

I am doing the 5 day dewormer with Safeguard on my mini babies (hmmm, guess they are yearlings, now) and wanted to keep these two little ones Jayda and Jenna on the same schedule.

I always do the 5 day Safeguard but I dont do the double dose on my yearling donkeys, I do this in spring and then again in fall. I have never had any problems with worms. I also rotate between Ivermectin, and Exodus, in between the safeguard. I bet your really enjoying those new little pals. Corinne

Thanks Corinne!

You are right, I am really enjoying these 2 little jennets! They have really started to bond!

They are soooo funny, if I am just a bit late with their meals they are braying up a storm!

The little chocolate one (Jayda)is very aggressive and has already chased the cats, the chickens, the German Shepherd and today she even went after the peacock. The gray (Jenna) is a bit more shy but she is very vocal.

I told Marnie that I should have named them "Tar Baby" and "Cry Baby!" HA!!

Saturday I am going to see how it works to put them in with my 4 yearling fillies. Hopefully everyone will get along okay!

Donna, They sound so adorable, but then again..what baby long ear isnt??? That is how mine started out too, they chased everything out of there pasture, and now they are very protective of the minis, which I like, because of all the wildlife around us. Our barn cats cant even cut thru there pastures without getting chased out..poor cats, they have to take the long way around the field just to get to the barn! :bgrin Corinne

Latest posts

Back