Desperate Tomato plant!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxi'sMinis

Reaction score
OK I have 1 measly tomato plant and she's loaded with tomato's. I don't like using pesticides because I have a lot of Praying Mantis. So the last 3 days I have picked a dozen green tomato worms off of her. In that amount of time she has been rendered topless only stems left.

What can I do that won't kill my Mantis?

Not much you could really do to kill them as it would probably kill the mantis also. Picking them off would be my only "safe" option. Hate those dumb worms! I read the other day that if you go out at night with a black light that they glow so it is easier to find them. When I find them they become dinner for the chickens!

Ok that is what I have been doing. My Hubby said that about the black light I guess I should listen to him more often Ha.

My chickens ran from them lol.

Planting marigolds around it might help. Seems their odor is not something bugs like. Don't know if it will help with the tomato worms or not but years ago there were always marigolds planted in gardens around here. Guess it's one of those old time home remedies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is what I do. Put crushed dried egg shells all around the stem. It not only provides calcium but the cut worms can't crawl over them.

Latest posts

Back