Dealing with sand...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlenicker

Reaction score
I sent my ponies manure out as I do every winter to double check for worms...0 on the worms but the vet reported back to me that there was mild-moderate sand....I'm looking into getting some Sand Clear...anyone have success with the Sand Clear product? Other suggestions on sand managament pr products I might try?

Note* (She's on a sand lot most of the time due to laminitis from her IR)

Feeding grass hay from elevated feeders to reduce contact with the sand is far more helpful than any psyllium containing sand clearing product.

As to whether or not the products work, that appears to be up for debate. Studies have shown some good effects, but the studies weren't well done and the point is still debated. I tend to only use them after a horse has exhibited problems with sand colic and usually at far higher doses.

Over the counter human products like Metamucil are a reasonable substitute as they all are mainly psyllium with different flavoring additives.

Dr. Taylor

She does have a hay net and mats, but she likes to nibble the little grasses that grow up in the sand and around the fence line. Very insightful! Thank you for the tips; knowing her, she'd like the taste of metamucil lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are in a sandy area and have alway given sand clear 1x a day for approx 7 days in a row out of the month to full size horses when we had them and now since 2003 the miniatures. We have in the past had 1 mare who needed it more often as she would get the runs so she got it about every 3 weeks. We only use it in the winter as they are out all day on our pastures which are sparse in the winter but they are still picking at it.. We don't use it in the summer as plenty of grass is out there.

Our horses have hay outside in the morning but not enough to last all day so they pick around. Then they have hay in their stalls at night

Flax seed its supposed to help also. But there is debate over that a well, as to feed whole, or ground fresh.

Being in New Mexico, it seems my horses have always been on sand. I don't use a psyllium product, mostly because I never could get my horses to eat it. What do I do? feed in feeders, on mats, feed plenty of hay, use stabilized flaxseed meal as a supplement (my vet said it "probably" helps),feed 4-5 times a day, stall horses less than 2 hours a day otherwise they are out in a group together and exercise as often as possible. The reason I mention turn out with other horses is this, if they aren't bored, are playing or snoozing together, they are less likely to be vacuuming sand. So far, thank you lord, I have not had issues with sand colic.

I am in a VERY sandy area.Nobody gets fed on the ground except in stalls.Hay is in racks, feed in buckets on posts.I buy a product called Equus that is a pellet and licorice flavored(has anise oil in it)My horses will eat in with nothing added.I have had major issues and many sand colics in the past.Had 1 so bad that you could see the sand glistening in the manure.lI dried it and then crumbled it in my hand -nothing but sand,.I have some horses that get Equus every day some only weekly All get it after a rain since they pull up the roots of grass(sand attached)when eating.No sand colics in quite a while.I order this product from 1 of the many catalogs I get.If anyone is interested you can e mail me at [email protected] for the name of the company I order from.I usually order at least 100 lbs in 1 order sometimes more.lI don't want to run out.,

I live in a sandy area and have always used psyllium - I use EquiAid pellets as it's easy to feed. I don't wait for a problem to occur - I use it as part of their regular maintenance program. If you have any questions, please speak with your vet.

Liz.

We have lived in Tucson since June 2012. Within 2 months of moving here we had several horses colic. Combination of heat, not drinking enough, and eating sand while trying to graze(we came from MO, so they where used to pasture). We lost four pregnant mares. We now feed three times a day. They also get bran(soaked) once a month. They are also fed in feeders, on mats, and where nessary on there poop piles. I know when they have eatten too much sand because they get the runs. Give that horse a extra dose of bran. They are being fed alfalfa, so thats why they eat faster. Bermuda, in Tucson, is $20 a bale. So, we go with alfalfa. Only one overweight mare. We are planning on moving back to CO, later this year. Horses will have pasture or, at least no sand(yeah).

Thanks everyone, interesting info! My mare has never shown any signs, no runs, no colicy behavior, Im thinking feeding it as a maintance program for her along with the newbies that will hopefully be coming in a month or so will be a good idea. Our sand is more of a rocky loam darker brown dirt rather than real sand but my guess is the dirt on the roots shes picking up nibbling on the dirt is probably causing the trouble. Hopefully we can nip in the bud before we get too far with it.

Have heard of so many ways to deal with sand and most have been mentioned by others...have also heard of drenching with mineral oil and that regular excercise helps move sand thru the system. One thing that might really help in your situation is a slow feeder so your mare is nibbling on hay all day instead of things she shouldn't! Lots of designs have been posted on the forum in the past, you may want to do a seach and check them out.

I am in Florida so my horses live in sand 24/7. We feed the Walmart brand of Metamucil (orange flavored) and sprinkle a little bit in their feed once daily (maybe a teaspoon). Cheap and works. They also get soaked beet pulp which is fiber and helps, but I would not rely on "just" that.

I do the Walmart brand of Metamucil also only I use unflavored. 2 tbls on a sticky grain every Sunday. If it's not on something sticky it will just fall through and be left on the bottom of the bowl. But Walmart is $7 verses $24 for a horse brand with less in it.

I'm from Florida. Sand Clear and Sandblast are excellent. Also use soaked beet pulp. Just a cup daily is another safety net.

Latest posts

Back