Daily Wormer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartofwisdom

Reaction score
I'd like to get a daily wormer for my three boys. I need to know

Brand?

Link to purchase?

Should I rotate?

Can I put in their feed?

How much?

Any problems?

Thanks,

Robin

I feed Strongid 2X daily to all our minis who are also signed up for Pfizer's Preventicare Program through my vet. With this program, if the horse ever needs colic surgery for ANY reason they pay several thousand dollars toward the cost. The horse has to be at least 6 months old, your vet has to be signed up and he has to give an annual exam and twice yearly de-worming. You also need to buy the Strongid from the vet, but I found it to be the cheapest and easiest way to buy it! (May not be true for all vets though). My vet told me that the minimum dose for minis is the 250 pound dose, added to their grain. I would check with your own vet though.

More info at Preventicare

If you are in the states it sells almost everywhere. I used it for years and it was great!! There are a few differant ones but all pretty much have the same ingrediants. Strongid C is one. Tractor supply and most farm stores carry it in the states. It has dosage on the label for regular size horses just cut theamount down to fit whatever size your mini is.

I use daily dewormer on my farm . I get a generic version of Strongid C ($38 25lb) made by Equi-Ade called Stongyle Wormer. It comes with a pre-measured cup for dosing , 250lb dose being the lowest.

Last time I had fecals done , there were no parasites detected so it must work pretty darn well.

But you still must deworm 2 x yearly for tapes and bots, as this product does not kill those parasites.

I do give it to them in their feed once daily. And there is no need to rotate according to my vet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help. One more question. You mentioned tape worm meds and I saw them at the feed store.

I give wormer (I alternate Zimecterin Gold or Equimectrin, Equimax, etc.) very 6 weeks. Do I need to add a tape wormer too? No one ever told me to get a tape wormer?? I don't want to take any chances.

Thanks,

Robin

Thanks for the help. One more question. You mentioned tape worm meds and I saw them at the feed store.

I give wormer (I alternate Zimecterin Gold or Equimectrin, Equimax, etc.) very 6 weeks. Do I need to add a tape wormer too? No one ever told me to get a tape wormer?? I don't want to take any chances.

Thanks,

Robin
http://www.pfizerah.com/health.asp?country...type=3&sec=

Here's a link to Pfizer .... excellent info about parasites and see if you can find a copy of the Parasite Puzzle . I got mine from my vet and it is free. Reading about parasites is good, but watching this DVD was much more informative for me .... for some reason it just stuck better.

Zimectrin Gold and Equimax are tapeworm dewormers. So, if you are using those, you are already taking care of things in that department. :bgrin

I use Strongid C and get it at my Feed Store.

JOyce

Zimectrin Gold and Equimax are tapeworm dewormers. So, if you are using those, you are already taking care of things in that department. :bgrin
This is what I use , but I strongly encourage you to visit the Pfizer site so you'll know WHY you are giving this and exactly what it does.

I don't feed it and never will as I don't like the idea of given a small amount of poison on a daily basis.
I'd rather not leave my horses unprotected for 6-8 weeks so I feel the benefits outway the negatives.

There is no proof that daily wormer is harmful in any way , on the contrary , horses receiving daily dewormer suffer from less instances of colic due to infestation, than those receiving bi-monthly paste dewormer, and have better nutrient absorbtion because the lining of the intestines is not inflamed.

But everybody is different......

Edited because I'm trying really hard not to be argumentative these days......
default_wink.png
:

Latest posts

Back