daily dewormers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlene

Reaction score
red has been having recurrent diarrhea for the past year. just when i think he's over it, WHAM, hershey squirts. all 3 of my horses have been on continuex daily dewormer for a year now. six weeks ago, i stopped giving it to red. within one week, his poop has firmed up and for the first time in a year, he is pooping actual road apples, nice firm NORMAL poop. in about 5 weeks now, he has not had a single bout of runny poop. this is the longest stretch he has gone. actually, all this time, his poop has never been what i would consider normal.

i tried everything from NO grain to probios to purge dewormings, you name it, i tried it. now i am thinking that there was something in the continuex that was causing the problem. i am keeping my fingers, toes and eyes crossed that i have finally reached the end of runny poop and daily tail washings!!!

oh and, I DIDN'T SAY THAT ^!!!!! don't wanna jinx my little guy!
default_new_shocked.gif

has anybody else had problems with any of the daily dewormers?

I've always thought of trying those daily wormers but haven't, so don't have

any experience with it.

The thing that has held me back is the idea of essentially putting a poison

in their system, every day.... Isn't that what wormers do, is poison the

worms to kill them off.... Rather do it every 7-8 weeks and get it over with

in one felled swoop.

Maybe Red's system just couldn't tolerate it, even if the others have done fine?

Hope this will be his perfect solution.

I personally haven't had any trouble with daily dewormers, in fact I have seen benefits such as smaller pot bellies on the babies and young horses. I feed strictly for the belly-reduction in my show horses, because they are stalled and I don't think have a parasite load.

Anyway, you never know how an individual animal will respond to different things! If taking him off the dewormer stops the diarrhea, then it's worth keeping him off and seeing how it does. More often diarrhea is linked to a parasite load, but who knows how his system tolerates it.

Good luck,

Andrea

Daily wormers have shown some significant health benefits, rather than problems. If I could afford it all my horses would be on Strongid C2X.

Don't forget, chocolate is poisonous to dogs... has health benefits for humans. Ivermectin kills some species, is harmless to others. Just because something is a poison to worms doesn't mean it is remotely harmful or even GOOD for other species.

i'm reserving judgment for another few weeks. if his manure continues to be normal, i'm gonna have to conclude that there is just something in the dewormer that gets his innards all out of kilter.

andrea, strangely enough, i have noticed that red's pot belly is gone now, too. how weird is that!?

i had several fecal floats done over the past 6 months or so. every single one of them came back indicating that a parasite load was not the problem. my vet even sent one sample to the university of illinois to be checked for strange bugaboos. nothing turned up there either.

"Don't forget, chocolate ... has health benefits for humans." whoa!!! THAT got my attention!!! pass the hershey bars, please!
default_aktion033.gif

I have been using daily wormer (Strongid 2X) for about 10 years on my big horse and now feed it to all my minis too. The ones that are eligible are also in the Preventicare program which pays part of the cost of colic surgery should they need it for ANY reason. What sold me on this is the vet who told me once he started putting client horses on the program (i.e. daily wormer) he found he needed to order fewer colic treatment supplies. The reduction in colic cases over his whole practice was that significant. I guess it is possible that there is something in the wormer that your horse doesn't tolerate well, but I think the program and the daily wormer are great!

All of my horses are on daily wormer. Plus they get an Ivermectin Gold dose every 8 weeks. I have 43 horses and I can not control the dose each horse is getting of the Strongid 2x, but they all seem to be doing well. I just mix it into their feed along with their grain and beet plulp.

Back