Curious what everyone feeds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Purina mini and pony is probably only available in the States, at least under that name and manufacturer; you might be able to find something similar in Australia. Here's a link to the Purina website, so you can check on the nutritonal analysis for the mini and pony feed; perhaps with that information, you can find something similar in Australia. http://www.horse.pur...D2-0051041.aspx Or, one of the other Australian members can chime in with feeds available there, that they've had success with.
Thanks for the link - will have a look
default_smile.png

Both of my Minis are getting Purina Mini and Pony feed and I am super happy with how they look. My stallion is a Perlino and has beautiful dapples.

I feed:

Lucerne, concentrates, show conditioner, linseed oil, coat, joint and muscle supplements.

I think alot depends on what is available in your particular area. My program is simple and mine all do well.

3/4 of a flake 2x daily and 2 c. Agway 12% sweetfeed when brought in at night. They look good and (knock on wood) stay physically healthy.

Most people here feed alfalfa hay- or alfalfa with maybe some good quality grass hay with it. Not many in Arizona have real pasture- it's basicly dry lots. However, those above are right- there are thousand ways to feed- and depends on your climate too. I am sure those in a colder climate than here have to really amp up their feed program in the winter.

Hi everyone, just reading this topic I could use a little help here. I have lots of pasture going to waist. I am very careful with my two, the mini mare and mini donkey to not have them on it to much so they won't founder. I have them both on the least plushest old riding ring which is all grass now for about 2 hours a day. I wish I could keep them on it all the time but doesn't seem like the thing to do with mini's. My mare is getting way to fat, I've cut her back on the pasture and way back on hay. She gets about a 1/4 leaf of hay twice a day. NOw I have seen somewhere that the minis horses can do the same as mini donkeys and their necks can flop. Obviously I don't want that to happen. I actually started to teach her to lunge last week and threw one of my old neck sweats on her (adult horse size), didn't do much good as far as building up a sweat cause they're way to big. The mini donkey actually needs to eat more, he got real thin on me in December due to lymes desease. I actually had him on vitamins with grain and was adding foal lac to his feed. He looks real good right now but I did separate the two at night so I can keep him on more feed than the mini mare. My question is:

How much pasture is safe for these two and are they're any suggestions for taking weight off of this mare without starving her to death. I actually am a little nervous that the mini donkey may have gotten her before he was gelded, she's pretty fat in the belly but I think she looked pretty hefty last fall too. I really wasn't planning on a mini mule (though it would be cute). I am also aware that if by chance she was in foal that she would need her pregnancy shots (use to breed quarter horses years ago). Is there any quick way of telling if she is in foal, do the mini's show faster than regular horses due to their small size? Or do I have to have her ultra-sounded. She hasn't shown any signs of being in heat but than she never showed signs last year either (or no obvious signs). I know, lots of questions. Any help would be much appreciated.

I personally use muzzles on 5 of my 6 girls so they can enjoy extended pasture time. They adjusted very well to them and even wait patiently for me to get them because they know what it means! Not everyone agrees that this is necessary, but it works for us.

I just started my 2 minis on Purina Mini & Pony feed a month ago and they are looking GREAT, My mare just dropped her foal 4 days ago and shes on it and my 3 year old stallion is also on it and hes in the best shape hes ever been in. Shiny coats, improved hooves, and great manes/tails. They have some more energy but nothing uncontrolable. The pregnancy was hard on the mare so shes down on weight some but picking it up on this feed. My stallion looks great, a little bito f a chubby belly but thats because he hasnt been worked with me focusing on showing my QH mare the last 2 months.
default_smile.png

Our show horses (stalled) get alfalfa cubes with either Purina Strategy Healthy Edge or Equine Junior - depending on the horse's age. They also get Platinum Performance as a supplement.

Pasture horses get a small amount of Healthy Edge in the summer to keep them coming up. They have 24/7 access to a trace mineral block.

Winter pasture horses get Healthy Edge and either alfalfa cubes or coastal hay, depending on availability and the horses needs.

Mares in their last month of pregnancy or with foals get Equine Junior and alfalfa hay (no cubes) with the Platinum supplement.

My vet feels that the Purina Mini feed is best for easy keepers ; I would not use it with pregnant mares or youngsters under 2yrs.

We feed our rescue mare. Meadowsheen 12% with vegetable oil instead of molasses. Great for the coat and put weight on my mini steadily after being 75 lbs too thin when I got her. We also feed her 1 flake of timothy mix. She does great on it. Can't get this feed anywhere else but, in NE Ohio. It is locally made and we feed the racehorses it as well.

We were feeding Omolene 200 but were looking to lower our feed bill and decided to try Strategy since according to the directions we would feed less so the more expensive Strategy would be less expensive per horse. Only problem is the horses dropped weight and we ended up having to feed the same amount as we needed to feed of the Omolene. The plan at this point is to switch back to the Omolene or an equivalent feed but we need to meet with the owner of the feed mill and look at our options and pricing.

Latest posts

Back