Curious about percentage of small minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

loveminis

Question: Of all the registered miniature horses in this country what do you think is the pertentage of ones UNDER 28" ?

(This would not include dwarfs).

They sure seem hard to find !

default_rolleyes.gif
Is this a dumb question..... or does nobody care.

I care!
default_smile.png

I think it would be hard to figure percentages as such. What I can tell you as a breeder who has owned and bred miniature horses since 1989, quality mature miniatures under 28" at maturity are a challenge! Currently, my smallest mature horse is a 28" mare. And she's tiny! Last year I sold a mature 27.50" mare to the UK. We showed her to two AMHA World Top 10's last year, but because she was so small and petite, I didn't feel that I had a stallion to safely breed her to. Nevertheless, she was very high quality and they are out there. There are just less of them and you have to do some searching to find them.
default_smile.png

Or like me - I have no clue!
default_biggrin.png
I'd say a huge majority would be 31-35" followed by the 36-39" group (
default_rolleyes.gif
) and the lesser being under 30"..... But that is just my guess.

I preffer 32-37" but I don't really really care.... I like a GOOD horse over size.... as long as they are under 38"
default_wub.png

It is not a dumb question (there is no such thing) but I think the problem is that no one on here knows! Also, a lot of the more knowlegable forum members are either at the AMHR National Show or getting ready for the AMHA World Show.

My guess (only a guess) is that the tiny ones are a pretty small percentage of all minis, which would explain why you are having so much trouble finding one. Just for starters, minis can be up to 38" and the larger ones are popular with people who do performance events like driving. We don't have anything smaller than 30" on our farm but there are certainly breeders who do breed for the smaller minis. Good luck in your search!

I do not know at all over all the percentage but out of six minis I bought Three are TINY 27" and under...one has such tiny canon bones...any way my first set of minis and they are half and half...not sure if that helps at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the shows in my area there are sometimes "0" horses in the 28" and under classes.

I wish the tiny minis were "in" so more miniature horse people would breed for them to improve their conformation, etc.

One of my best horses is a tiny buckskin filly that is barely 27". She is a late yearling. I really hope she grows another inch but I'm not sure she will.

I have no idea about percentages but I only own 2 under 30".

First, the only dumb questions are the ones that don't get asked! So ask away.

I sure don't know what the percentage of small horses is when compared to the taller ones, but I do think there are a lot of good ones out there that you seldom hear about. I know there are a number of breeders here on LB who have a special interest in the little ones. Maybe some of them will come on here and post.

Our senior stallion is 25 1/2". He is a multiple Top Ten and has consistently sired Top Ten and above foals in both halter and performance. We now have 4 of his daughters in our broodmare herd and the two of breeding age are producing wonderful foals. (by the way, 2 of them are World Reserve Champions and another one is a multiple Top Ten...one hasn't been shown yet so you CAN show the little ones and succeed)

If you want to talk 'little' just keep an eye on here and you'll find a bunch of us!

Charlotte

Like Charlotte said, there's a bunch of us out there that breed for the tinies! Our senior stallion is 26", and I keep trying to get a colt from him to keep, but he throws mostly fillies! Oh, I guess that's a good thing!
default_biggrin.png

Melba

I think "back in the day" there were significantly fewer 28" and under horses than there are today, but they made up a much larger percentage of the overall studbook, because initially size was more important to many breeders than good overall conformation, so anything and everything small was bred. The mini population has multiplied many times over in the last 30 years, but the "breed" has seen a shift toward proportion and usability over size, so the percentage of smaller minis has shrunk as taller bloodlines become more popular. Frankly it's hard to get a 28" mini that has proportions and movement comparable to a 34" mini--that's a whole 6" of leg difference!--so many people have shifted to breeding taller minis. I personally like the challenge of breeding for proportionate, smaller minis, and I think the quality of the 30" and under division has improved rapidly over the last few years. I dream of the day that a 28" mini takes a Grand title at the World Championship.

default_wub.png
I think that would be hard to determine as to how many are out there. We had two this year that will probably not see 28" but who knows they could get a giant growth spurt
default_rolleyes.gif
We have several under 30" and several under 28" right now but their not for sale
default_wacko.png
until hubby says there for sale (he has a hard time letting go)The little pinto filly in the avatar is 22" at four mths so she may go over
default_rolleyes.gif

Why does the tiny mini have to have "movement" ? Not every big horse has it. If their conformation is correct that is most important.

I wish I was rich I would start an under 27" program
default_smile.png

Why does the tiny mini have to have "movement"? Not every big horse has it. If their conformation is correct that is most important.
Uhhhhh, because good movement comes almost entirely from good conformation.

Every horse has "movement", but not every horse has good movement. Good movement is a direct reflection of good structure, or good conformation! If the parts and pieces aren't made like they're supposed to be or if the parts and pieces aren't where they're supposed to be, you don't have a good horse and that horse probably won't have good movement.

My breeding program is 34" & under where I do have a 29" mare and a 30.5" stallion to produce thoses smaller correct foals. Out of that cross, I've gotten 2 foals which both looked to mature about 28-29". (Sold so dont know what they did turn out) And my main herd sire is 31.75", BUT he produces really small super refined foals which looks like out of all 10 of them, all have stayed around 30" and under. This years foal I had, I imagin she's going to mature around 29-30" and ohhh is she correct, beautiful movement, and very refined & is everything I ever dreamed to breed for in a quality small mini.

Of all the mini folks I do farrier work for here in my county, I've noticed mainly 34" and unders for the most part which Im guessing about 65%-70% and the rest are 35" and taller. So that kind-of gives you a ideal in my county that I see.... which I dont see all of them as well cause of other farriers. But in show quality breeding programs near by, I do see the taller minis there with just a few smaller ones, but they are usally pets and not part of the breeding programs. I think between myself and a local breeder near by, We both specialize in breeding for the smaller ones. Me solid colors and her pintos.
default_wub.png

As both AMHA and AMHR are height registries and we are required to measure them and have that measurement on their registration papers, I would guess that there is either a program that could be made for the registries computer data base, or that there is already a data base that the registries have.

I would be greatly surprised if each registry did not have a way to track the number of horses of a certain size, as that is these registries primary purpose.

There is a small horse group that is a collection of people wanting to breed for small horses. I would think joining that group might be of benefit to you.

Every horse has "movement", but not every horse has good movement. Good movement is a direct reflection of good structure, or good conformation! If the parts and pieces aren't made like they're supposed to be or if the parts and pieces aren't where they're supposed to be, you don't have a good horse and that horse probably won't have good movement.
Thanks Joanne
default_biggrin.png

I have to agree with a lot of the other posters, in that it is hard to breed the smaller horses to be just as refined as some of the taller horses. But with that said, it can and is done.
default_wink.png

We still breed a percentage of our horses to show in the 30" and under classes and have been fairly sucessful with that portion of the breeding program. La Vista Farms Roses First is 29 1/2" little guy that is a reserve national champion and then of course Cherryville's Rio De Oro who is larger but has consistently reduced the size on most mares are the corner stones to that portion of the breeding program and have given us several national 30"/28" and under national champions.
default_wub.png

Currently the 2009 foal crop gave us several fillies that are exceptional, small and are going to be shown next year. Additionally we have a sr stallion that is a Rio son that was Area 5 Grand Chapion Sr. Stallion under that is about 27".
default_yes.gif

Bottom line we still enjoy our little ones and will continue to try and produce them every year. Hopefully we can continue to improve and strive to perfect that refined look everyone wants in the smallest horse possible.
default_saludando.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I have an even dozen who do not measure over 28".....2 youngest are both full 2 yr olds and just barely 27" so I am comfortable they will not exceed 28.
default_smile.png
Range in ages from 2 to 26.

Several were shown and two of the mares are AMHA Natl & R Natl champ halter winners, same yr. Also had a 28" AMHA Natl halter champ stallion (Indian Snow), was Gr Ch Sr stallion for our region, plus #1 in honor roll. My blessings have been bountiful! I have been thrilled with every ribbon, bowl, placque and statue.....and still am.....they are memories I relive every time a forum member tries to express their own undescribable feelings of winning. I am right there with you!!
default_wub.png

Past few years I have bred very few horses, although I have a fine breeding herd. It is a personal choice that I have made as have many others -- economy and concern for good homes. But, since I no longer get "involved" with the showing aspect, the breeding aspect has become less beconing for me. Like all breeders, you want to produce THE best and I have not entirely given up on the desire to put a couple more great tinies out there -- somehow, time is eluding me.
default_rolleyes.gif
default_laugh.png

I love the tinies!!!

Now, Tony still has several, I'm confident. They are his favs, also......don't tell the tall ones at his farm.
default_wink.png

Why does the tiny mini have to have "movement"? Not every big horse has it. If their conformation is correct that is most important.

Thank you thank you.... I have tiny miniatures that have incredible movement, because they are CORRECT.

If you saw the thread a while ago I have a black and white mini stallion that looks like a mini vaner. He is 27inches on a tall day. He can MOVE, he demands your attention in the field. He floats, has such extension and animation.

I also have a 27.5 inch Palomino that can put some driving horses to shame.

Another 28.5 that is a World top Ten in Halter and sure could be a liberty horse

And.... LOOK OUT WORLD... my little yearling stallion Reflections Beyond Stardom will be making his World Debut. Tiny and so well proportioned with the most beautiful neck and head. And... he can move too :O)

I also find it very challenging to breed a correct tiny one, but I LOVE the challenge. There are so many "average and tall" miniatures out there, but what is really amazing to me is seeing a TINY well proportioned horse.

I am excited to be adding 2 more tiny fillies to my herd this year.

Keep looking, they are out there. Lots of excellent breeders of little ones!

I choose to Accept the Challenge!

Latest posts

Back